Traffic Cameras

Important to know that traffic cameras are being set up at most intersectionsin Riyadh by the traffic police. The project of monitoring, reporting and fining traffic offences has been outsourced to three private companies in KSA, one for each region, as I understand. These companies will monitor and collect the fines (stiff) that will be applied.

Its also been reported that the Traffic Department has allowed the private enterprises to keep the fine amounts fr themselves for the first five years as a part of their fees for the project. This means that the fines will definitely be imposed and collected very rigidly.

Last morning I approiached the Olaya Street-Mousa bin Nasyr street (Al Aqariya Complex) intersection from the North and stopped at the lights behind the passenger (Zebra) crossing lines accordingly. A smart loal overtook me and put his vehicle in front of mine at a 45 degree angle. The flash light on the traffic camera mounted on the opposite side, facing us came on immediately. The poor guy is a dead duck. At the same time another vehicle alongside me on the slow lane made a filter to the right towards King Fahd Highway. He was also caught napping red handed. Apparently you cannot make the right filter on the RED unless theres a amsllaer green light at the bottom indicating you can do so. Not many people are aware of this and usually make the right turn even on the red assuming that its legal.

Watch out fellers. The Eagles do not have to worry. Not yet...

Thanks MM, Ive passed your note on to a few others... 

How will they send fines and collect the fees?  Since there is no mail system, do you suppose they will call your cell and leave a message?  Send a carrier pigeon to the villa?  Or just let it add up til you try to renew your igama or leave the country and tag you then?  Their method of collection is a mystery to me!:huh:

Thank goodness the Eagles are not affected!  LOL  :P

I am told that if you register with their portal with your mobile and mail contacts then they will message/mail you. If you dont the fine will be regsitered against your name with the Ministry of Interior and will only be detected when you apply for Exit/Re-Entry Visa.

As for locals I am not sure how they will impose the fines and get them to pay.

But we expats have to face the music, come what may. One of my daughters colleagues husband (American) had to pay a big sum before he could get his Exit/Re-Entry since he had multiple offences aainst hias name which he was not even aware of.

WARNING:  Oruba Street is a hotbed of cams on every traffic light AND that white RADAR van (catching speeders) is always parked on Ouraba, somewhere between downtown and KKESH.

It sure is amazing to see vehicles all parked in line behind the Zebra Crossings at traffic lights nowadays. They had to take the big stick to maintain discipline at the end of the day.

Quite interesting!  Can't wait for it to make a difference!

Next time you are at any of the intersections within the city do take some time to look out of the windwo and "enjoy" the difference.

I was on my way home last evening with the rest of the family in the vehicle when right along Olaya Street we witnessed a sensational display of discipline that was missing for a long long time.

I bet now they may decide to allow the Eagles to drive?

i m scared now...hoping i dont get a speeding ticket
abt the right turn thing...i thought it always WAS a free right...m i wrong MM?

musicman wrote:

I bet now they may decide to allow the Eagles to drive?

i heard a small inside thing on this recently

No FREE right unless there is a smaller set of traffic lights at the bottom of the post with an additional green to the right of the normal green lamp which shows you may take the RIGHT when the lights are RED for the direct onward traffic.

At least I can fire my driver once the girls are allowed to take the wheel.

Shababy - PLEASE don't keep us wondering!  :whistle:  Its very bad for the health!  :lol::lol:

CAF wrote:

Shababy - PLEASE don't keep us wondering!  :whistle:  Its very bad for the health!  :lol::lol:

Oh come on ...  this 'small thing' has been going around for years :P

Poor Shababy and his "small" thing....

musicman wrote:

Poor Shababy and his "small" thing....

omg.. you ARE naughty!!  :lol::lol:

:D Well, he's the one who said so....

lol....ha ha ha
me and my bloody big mouth to make such small mistakes...

Mistakes! :dumbom::dumbom:

I just hate them!  lol  :lol::lol::lol:

"...sensational display of discipline......allow Eagles to drive" (Musicman)

Hell No! I have seen Eagles fly in a very undisciplined manner to get hold of 'small things'... so cant say we are going to get the driving right either! Remember we also have not been behind the wheel for some months now, that helps towards the discipline.

Yeah, my partner on the Camry we use to respond to calls always makes it a point to speed up and say "smile" as we pass the speeding van on Al Aruba. Apparently the emergency vehicles are not getting ticketed...thoroughly annoying, as they are some of the worst drivers in town! It is also worth noting that the cameras will snap your picture for as little as 1 km over the limit!

Anyway, the tickets will be SMS'd to your phone if you register, or assessed when you apply for an entry/exit visa, or assessed when you arrive at the airport to travel. If you think there is any chance you may have fines, I would suggest showing up to the airport at least an hour early, who knows how long it could take to fix that issue.

I have been in a rental the last month while my Rover is in the shop, and the camera on Al Aruba has snapped my photo maybe 4 times. I was doing maybe 75 or 80 km/h nothing excessive...I am just waiting to see if they actually fine people for that small amount over, and furthermore how they deal with people driving rental cars...I sense a potential headache coming my way!

They can still check with the Rental Agency since you have to provide an Iqama to rent a car, anyways?

I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw two local driving at around 60 Kmph over the clover leaf that connects the North Ring Road to King Fahad Road at Exit 4. Can you believe it that I had to overtake them?

Hmm, I didn't realize that they were ALSO going after speeders..... OR any type of violation...  that could be a potential issue for someone I know well!  :o

I will have to inform them quickly!!!  :D

Maybe its a good thing that Im NOT on the road here!  :lol::lol::lol:

Olaya Road speed limit is 80 Kmph
King Fahad Road - 100 Kmph

thanks MM!

CAF,

They're also going after people TALKING ON CELL PHONES while driving AND Drivers (and front seat passengers, I think) not wearing seatbelts.

What amazes me, however, is there seems to be no law about restraining babies?  I can't tell you the number of times I have seen men driving with children sitting in their laps!!

.....and how about children behind the wheel whose feet can barely touch the pedals?

Is it beating the red light when you pass the traffic light blinking green and then the camera flash??im worried because it happened to me..please can you give me idea