Newb in Jakarta

Fingers crossed I'm hoping to moved to Jakarta in a month or two. I've never been there, so any advice will be great.

The office I'm supposed to work is at a place called Setiabudi Selatan, which I'm guessing is Central Jakarta. I was wondering what my best bet would be for accommodation. I cannot afford more than 1000 to 1200 USD but I'm looking for anything between a I and 2 BHK apartment. Also I would prefer residence close to work place. I heard traffic is mad. No I'm not looking for something super swanky. My priorities are that the building and neighbourhood should be safe for a single woman. The apartment should be fully furnished and must have an aircon and elevator. Space I'm looking at is about 500 to 700 sq ft. Either a large I bhk or a compact 2bhk. If there's a super market in the neighbourhood, that would be perfect.

Am I asking for too much in my budget?

Any leads or advice would be great. Perhaps the right website or just someone I chat with.

Also what is the difference between rented, lease and sublet apartments. Are sublets safe and reliable.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c … %20Selatan

If anything you see is priced in Dollars, forget it. It's always for fools with too much money.
Rents are usually by the year - don't be forced into a two year contract. There are more properties than people who want them.

Traffic is terrible - try to live close to your office.
Google maps will pinpoint it, take it from there.

Furniture can be cheap here - it may work out cheaper than a furnished place.

Thank you so much for the link. I'm a little nervous but super excited

Try searching for somewhere to stay at Kuninghan (search epicentrum, plaza festival) it is very close to Setiabudi, just a few bus stops along. Kuninghan has a lot of apartment towers and is close to 2 small malls each loaded with restaurants and coffee shop and one has a supermarket. If you look around Setia Budi then you might find its more expensive although there is a mall there.

Prices I dont know apartments but do follow Mas Freds advice of not looking at anything published in dollars. If you are working there why not ask your future employer to help you find a place or in the short term a Kost (boarding house) close by where you can find your feet before plunging into an apartment where you have to pay a year up front and you have never seen it before. There are some great Kosts in the city with many ammenities built into the cost.

Luke, I've seen your blog. You seemed like a seasoned expat in Jakarta. That's good advice. At least now I'll know where to look. The job is not yet confirmed but yeah... kinda hoping it works out. My guess is initial accommodation will be taken care of. But me being me... I thought I'd do my own spade work.

Thank you

7 years in the big durian so far and still learning. Where is your building you could be working in?

I'd rather not say right now. The job isn't yet confirmed. Don't want to jinx it by giving out details just as yet. But 7 years is helluva long time. How have they been? You could probably write a sequel to "Seven Years in Tibet" :P

And how in heaven's name do you deal with the IDR? They're like what Italian Lire used to be like. Those numbers are huge. I struggle with 10s and 20s. I'm terrible with numbers. I guess I'm gonna have to use my calculator a lot. Like damn nut.

Numbers are just numbers.
You'll find your self converting to your own currency at first, but you'll get used to things in no time.
I look at 7 million just as I used to look at 700 quid.
It's no big deal after a while.

To the bule (foreigner) price.
When you arrive, pop into the nearest Alphamart and check prices of basic items.
They're a fix price shop so you'll get a really good idea of what things should be.
Street shop prices are always a little higher, but not much.
That few minutes will save you being ripped off - a lot.