Sometimes pushing for more rights just doesn't make sense

http://s2.glbimg.com/pIBQdfgpeB1S9NuxITBA6UdZ9Bc=/300x225/s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2014/06/11/joao_paulo_1.jpg

As a visually handicapped person and having myself had a father who was profoundly deaf I'm all for giving everyone with special needs as many of the rights and freedoms as ablebodied people as we possibly can. That said, I think that there are some who just try and push that too far. In their zeal to push for more rights, prove they're just as capable of things as anyone else they seem to be completely lacking in good old common sense.

Such seems to be the case of João Paulo Marinho dos Santos, a 28 year old Brazilian man who has been totally deaf since birth. Despite the fact that Art. 67.221 of the Brazilian Civil Aviation Regulation requires that pilots have the ability to hear normal speech in at least one ear he is pushing to have this changed to allow profoundly deaf individuals to obtain any category of license, including Air Transport Pilot.

While I'm all in favor of equality in most cases, I think this stretches common sense almost to the breaking point. I mean really now... would you want me, with only one eye and it is seriously compromised at that, at the controls of the next Boeing or Airbus you are going to board? Would you want a young man that couldn't possibly hear the directions of Air Traffic Control holding the yoke in an emergency situation? How about a pilot who was mute and couldn't talk to his co-pilot and crew or ATC? I think the answer to those questions are obvious.

Sometimes we just have to accept the fact that there are certain restrictions, that there are regulations that are absolutely necessary for the greater good. While my hat comes off to this young man for overcoming his handicap I'm not the least bit sorry when I say that I'm dead set against his efforts to push the evelope. Where do we draw the line?

I firmly believe that when it comes to the lives, safety and security of other people we simply can't afford to relax standards, not one little bit regardless of how altruistic the motives may seem. Flying in Brazil is dangerous enough as it is, what with the fact that unlike the rest of the world where English is the standard language of operation, Portuguese is used. Air Traffic Control communications and radar have huge gaps in coverage which have already contributed to numerous fatal crashes. Safety and maintenance standards for airlines are a joke and in many cases ignored completely. Given that, should we lower the standards even further? My vote on that one is a resounding NO.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

I strongly agree. Let's face it, the skies are already dangerous enough. Like you said, it just comes down to reality and good old common sense.

You will amazed at just how uncommon "Common" sense is...

I have both heard and seen cases somewhat like this.

Example 1:

A manager in county X (no names) was telling me what a great job he did by cutting cost on HR.  Unfortunately the more I heard what he did the bigger my eyes became.

He has decided to hire a handicapped person (amputee one leg) for a job.  Which I felt was very good.  But the next thing he told me was the position he was hired for........................................

The company was looking for a confined space inspector onboard large ships!  For those who do not know, the access to these tanks are extremely small.  Plus it can be very dangerous due to toxic gas buildup, lack of O2, etc.

With that in mind, how can the manager risk the poor man's life???!?!?!? :blink:

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with rules, regulations and yes... even laws that require employers to place handicapped individuals in jobs that they are fully capable of doing. Being a handicapped person myself, how could I see any of that as being wrong???

Well, I'm here to tell you that the operational words are FULLY CAPABLE of doing!!!

Where is the logic in someone without an olfactory sense thinking they should be hired on as a fragrance tester in a perfume manufacturing company, or gustatory perception as a taste tester for a multi-national company in the food industry, or a blind person (or nearly blind such as myself) as a color inspector in a paint factory????

We've got enough politicians who can manage to propose the most absolutely insane and off-the-wall legislation or regulations as it is; we certainly don't need more people doing that too.

I'm sorry to tell João Paulo Marinho dos Santos, I certainly wouldn't want ME at the control yoke of a Boeing 777, nor would I want him there either... it's just plain stupid and unsafe. I'm all for rights, but I'm old enough and wise enough to understand that MY RIGHTS end where they could have a negative effect on the safety of others.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

I'm with you 100% William. It has nothing to do with being "handicapped" or "impaired". "Handicapped" and "impaired" people have proven time and time again that in many cases they are even MORE capable and LESS "impaired" than "normal" or "regular" folk (as some people would call the "unimpaired"). This has simply to do with LOGIC.

And, TRUST ME, Lighthand, I know ALL TOO WELL how very UNcommon "common" sense can be.  In fact, it grows MORE UNcommon every day. I with you 100% also.