Dry cough

All,

When I went to HCMC, Vietnam 3 months ago, I experienced a very "dry" cough for 2 weeks.  I finally got rid of it once I returned to the States.  Some locals told me it is due to the air pollution.

Anybody else experienced this "dry" cough?  How did you get rid of this annoying "dry" cough?

Thanks,

Tin Tin

Yes Tin Tin, my cough has just made it's annual pilgrimage, along with a slight chest pain, but it is after all,  the MAIN burning season in VN, ( that means the material is actually dry enough to burn ), up here they are obsessed with burning shit,  the farmers are not happy with their 4  or 5 cooking fires everyday, they will go out of their way just to find something to burn, ( I'm sure for a child's 1st birthday, the present is a mandatory ciggy lighter ). Our commune doesn't have any rubbish pickup, ( unless you live on the main street ), so you can only imagine what sort of crap they burn here. You hear so much about VN's love their family, but in the next breathe, ( behind that mask ), they light a fire, so much for the future generations. But VN.s answer to pollution is to just wear a mask and hide the rubbish, ( occasionally ).

Beside wearing a mask, do you take any medicine? 

bluenz wrote:

Yes Tin Tin, my cough has just made it's annual pilgrimage, along with a slight chest pain, but it is after all,  the MAIN burning season in VN, ( that means the material is actually dry enough to burn ), up here they are obsessed with burning shit,  the farmers are not happy with their 4  or 5 cooking fires everyday, they will go out of their way just to find something to burn, ( I'm sure for a child's 1st birthday, the present is a mandatory ciggy lighter ). Our commune doesn't have any rubbish pickup, ( unless you live on the main street ), so you can only imagine what sort of crap they burn here. You hear so much about VN's love their family, but in the next breathe, ( behind that mask ), they light a fire, so much for the future generations. But VN.s answer to pollution is to just wear a mask and hide the rubbish, ( occasionally ).

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

All,

When I went to HCMC, Vietnam 3 months ago, I experienced a very "dry" cough for 2 weeks.  I finally got rid of it once I returned to the States.  Some locals told me it is due to the air pollution.

Anybody else experienced this "dry" cough?  How did you get rid of this annoying "dry" cough?

Thanks,

Tin Tin

.It was pissing me off that much, that I even had a chest x -ray here a few years ago, they gave me a mountain of pills, ( as usual, Dr Google said most were only sedatives,also as usual ), these didn't help at all, so as my friends father is a Herbal Quack here, I attended his ' clinic ', ( much to the delight of his ' audience ', once they get ' diagnosed ' and are given their herbal brews, they will hang around and listen to everyone else s complaints when they come in, no such thing as Doctor/Patient confidentiality  ), I tried his crap for a week , the stupid thing about it was, that he demanded I go to his ' clinic ' every cold morning, and he would ' adjust ' his foul smelling/tasting brew, but alas, it was to no avail, I gave up after that, the weather cleared, and the smoke subsided a little, and my cough almost went away.
( I should have added that I had pneumonia several years ago , in Aus, and no I don't wear a mask, as it is only this time of year, and in winter that my cough comes back, but my sister in Darwin has the same cough, she also can't get rid of it ). )

The wife has picked up a really bad cough our last two trips. She hacked away so badly I had her take a TB  test. It seems to have gone away (she's been back six weeks) but occasionally she breaks out in it again. Her best friend, a VK whose husband and daughter went over with us, also picked up a really bad cough this year while visiting her family north of Saigon. She was diagnosed (mis-diagnosed?) with walking Pneumonia when she returned, and given a 'Z Pac' of anti-biotics. Her cough only cleared up two weeks ago. Neither her husband or daughter were badly effected.

I got a little bit of a cough, but not as bad as either of the girls.

I think it's a bug going around. I had it all last week. Had to take Robitussin every night before bed so I could sleep. I have a lot of allergies, so if it was because of something in the air, I don't think it would ever go away from me. But I'm fine now.

Hmmm I've had a dry cough here every now and then. I never thought of it being pollution, being I'm from LA with lots of that going around. Maybe its all this burning garbage. ;)

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

Maybe its all this burning garbage. ;)

Aahh.
Eau De   Siem Reap.

Neo codeine is good for dry coughs. Can get them pretty much every where.

I've had those dry cough for the 1st 2.5 months here in HCM City. I started to wear face mask every time I go out. I haven't experienced any coughs for the past 2-3 months :]