Emigrating to Cuba

Hi there,

There seem to be a few members here that now live in Cuba.

I'm looking to emigrate in the next few years if it is possible, though I'm having a lot of trouble finding any information.

Don't suppose anyone out there would like to give me some pointers?

Thanks

I think that Cuba is usually in a state of flux. A good start is to read the Constitution (obtainable on the web in English). It is also helpful to research the history of the country in order to understand the background of revolutions and why. In general, foreigners cannot take gainful employment there, so the retired are more likely to find things tolerable. Although marrying a Cuban, we do not anticipate my being able to stay there, but rather to spend prolonged periods in the winter in Cuba and my wife to spend her summer vacation from teaching, in Canada. Also, restrictions on access to the internet obviously make communications by web tricky and the nature of politics makes people wary. I have travelled Cuba from Baracoa in the east, to Pinar del Rio in the west. A beautiful country with wonderful people, "la familia" is the critical element in the Cuban society and music is the soul of the people. I shall try to posdt more as I     gain experience, that will take time, but you speak of years!                                                           

SlippersXP wrote:

Hi there,

There seem to be a few members here that now live in Cuba.

I'm looking to emigrate in the next few years if it is possible, though I'm having a lot of trouble finding any information.

Don't suppose anyone out there would like to give me some pointers?

Thanks

Hi, I said previously that I would post more as I gained experience of living in Cuba. My Cubana and I are married and we have a home in Cuba. As my wife teaches, I am the casa hombre and do the shopping and some of the housework. We live as Cubans in a community with virtually no tourism, so my Spanish improves - shopping cetanly helps this and I now know prices in pesos as well as CUCs. I have also learned how to get around. One of the benefits is that my wife's extended family have accepted me as a member of the family, which helps to make me acceptable in the community. I continue to like the Cuban people and admire the way in which they adapt to and to an extent accept their lot. You will probably have noted that Raul Castro intends over the next five years, to introduce the buying and selling of property, however I have no doubt that such activity will be restricted to Cubans.

Buenos tarde!

J  wish  you  many  and  many  more  beatiful  years  ther  in  Cuba  .J  love  the Cuban  people  like  my  own .
Prowed  Serbian Prca

Yes, the Cubans are a very nice people. Like your original country until 1990, they live in a one party state, and still do. There is much wisdom in loving ones neighbours. Freedom is an extraordinary privilege.

Thank  you  for  answering   my  message  and  when  it  comes   to  Serbia  j  would  like  to  tell you  that  agter   1995 my  country  had  become one  democratic society and  very inclusive .
More  than 500000 Chinese  have  moved  to  Serbia and  some  ather  nationalities  as  well .J  live  in  Canada right  now  ,Quebec   to  be  more  percise   and  j  can  guarante  you  that  j  have  not  seen   the  ugliest  and  more  racist  people  than   them .J  can  haardly  wait  to   move   to  Serbia .All  the   best .
Prowed  Sebian

It is a long time since I contributed - sorry. But I think in Quebec it is necessary to differenciate between the Quebequois and the Quebecers. The first lot want to separate from  everybody and everything without rhyme or reason - so to them, I too am a foreigner!The second group are Canadians who live in  the Province of Quebec.I guess it is a little like the difference between the Serbs and the Croats and the Bosnians. As you know, they killed each other, each blaming the others and that is a little like Quebec - anything that is wrong, must be somebody elses fault.One thing that can be said about the Cubans, is that they are all Cubans and loyal to their country - even if their views about government vary.

Many people( specially cubans on exile) can't wait for Cuba to be a more 'democratic" country and open the doors to everyone to retire there.

Larry57

Just to extend the response to the SlipperXP's original question in case others are interested. Cuba does not recognize dual ciizenship. I would not advise giving up citizenship of your own country to become a Cuban citizen. But, only Cubans can own property, so time spent there is limited by the duration of visas of which there are two relevant types -  Tourist and Personal. The latter allows a longer stay but costs more and there are criteria  which limit who is eligible.The only immigrants I am aware of are former USSR Citizens who did not wish to return to the USSR following it's collapse. I understand there were about 5,000 of them. In spending 6 months or more per year in Cuba I have not met an immigrant.