PROBLEMS YOU FIND MOVING HERE

Being a Paraguayan citizen, I find really easy to move around here, but I am interested to know what are the more common problems foreigners find when moving to Py.

Hi and welcome to Expat.com, Jfinestra :)
It would be nice indeed if you could give useful tips and infos to the people on this forum!

Dear Fee Acer:

Nice to contact you.

In case you want to come and live in Paraguay, I think you should:

Contact a good, honest lawyer and public notary, please donŽt go to those big Law Firms, theyŽll charge big time for something normal, try something medium.

Hire a good and honest public notary in case you want to buy land.

DonŽt use the American/European logic of prices when you ask for them, try to think in Paraguayan prices so they donŽt charge a lot.

Before buying a piece of land, please check the title (twice) with a Public Notary.

Legal matters are not as difficult as they seem(in most cases),contacting the right people can solve you a lot of problems.

Please give me your idea of what you want to do here.

Kind regards,

Jerónimo

Hi again! but I don't want to come to Paraguay!
I only was saying that the info you could dispense on the forum would sure be helpful for people visiting the forum :lol:

Jfinestra, 
Probably the thing that was the biggest challenge for us was the public transportation. Going from town to town wasn't so bad, but the bus lines (colectivos) within Asuncion are really confusing.  We weren't familiar at first with which streets were close to where we needed to be, and the maps we bought on the street weren't any help.  I'd love to see a bus map become more common, that would tell which numbers to take for which part of town, and what their routes are.  We've gotten on the wrong one a million times.  ;)

jfinestra,
I wonder if the theory of property ownership is different in Paraguay as opposed to the United States?

IN THE US
Most people are experienced with buying cars and car ownership and expect Real Estate ownership to be the same.  It is completely different.

Car ownership is tracked by the state government.  The transfer of car ownership is made by signing the title (a state issued piece of paper) over to the new owner.  The state then issues a new title in the name of the new owner.

Real Estate Title Conveyances can be bought at stores or composed by oneself.  These titles are nearly always recorded at the county level of government.  The county makes no certification to ownership of real property.  The county merely records transfers of title.  That is all.

Real Estate ownership is established by the chain of title which usually goes back to an original land grant from the government, maybe 300 years previously.  It is the chain of title that establishes one's ownership.

The government, usually at the county level, keeps the records.  The government records, but does not certify ownership in the case of Real Estate.

"Certification" of Real Estate ownership is not a function of government.  Certification is achieved by Title Insurance which is issued by a private Title Insurance Company, for a fee.  The private Title Insurance Company insures the buyer that the seller is the owner.

Most of us (Yankees) are shocked by the fact that buying Real Estate is so different from buying a car.  We expected that the government would certify ownership, as it does with cars.

How does this description compare to Paraguay's system of Real Estate Ownership & conveyance?

Thanks,
Mike
PS I want to come to Paraguay!!!

Hi Mike:

Thanks for your comment.

In both cases, here in Paraguay buying a car and piece of land are controlled by Government.

Paraguay has what is called Registro de La Propiedad or Property Reistry, in the case of Cars their is a Division called Registro Único del Automotor or Unique Registry of Automotors which is controlled by the Property Registry which is also controlled by the Judicial Branch.

In both cases transactions should be done before Public Notaries, the government through the Publica Institutions I mentioned, should issue a Public Writ saying that you are the owner of the car/land giving full details of the property you own.

Mike you told me you want to come to Py, whatŽs exactly that you want to do here?

I would be really glad to provide you with info.

Kind regards,

Jerónimo Finestra

Hi Jeronimo,

Thanks for the concise explanation of how ones right to own property works in Paraguay.

In a previous post you wrote

Before buying a piece of land, please check the title (twice) with a Public Notary.

That seems to imply that in Paraguay the Notary Public is a part of the government, who tracks property ownership.

In the US a Notary Public is a person who is certified or licensed by the state.  A Notary Public's job is nothing more than to certify that the person signing a document is the person he claims to be.

So am I right in thinking that the responsibilities of a Paraguayan Notary Public are much greater than a US Notary Public?

Why would I want to go to Paraguay?
I am very interested in economics; not finance; not bookkeeping. 

Economics is the study of what makes for wealth.  Of course, part of the problem is defining 'wealth.'
Measurements like Gross Domestic Product and Gross National Product and Per Capita Income might be good for a 'first thought.'  There is much more to it than that.

So Paraguay is a great curiosity for me.

How is it that Paraguay was a leading nation in the 1860s and hasn't fulfilled its promise (yet.)

Electricity is half the cost of electricity where I live.  And Paraguayan labor is a lot less than that, in comparison to US Labor.

I would like to live in a land with more freedom and liberty than the US.  Does Paraguay have laws requiring motorcycle riders to wear helmets?  Are automobile drivers and passengers required by law to wear seat belts?  They are in the US.

US citizens believe the US has the most freedom and liberty in the world.  I'm not sure that is true.

Hi Mike, sorry for the late reply.

In Paraguay, Public Faith is deposit in the Public Notary, he is in charge of checking land titles issued by government, but not a part of government. The Public Notary checks if the title is safe, and "healthy".

In the past I worked for a Californian Investment Fund that wanted to opperate here, first bringing their social responsability here and later work in Bioenergy and Stevia.

In Paraguay, we have many unexplored fields that can suitable for investment, right now I can think of agricultural and ranching activities in case of big investment, real state is very safe since the market is pretty stable and land is always gaining more value.

After the triple aliance war (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay) vs. Paraguay, 1865-1870, Paraguay was destroyed, 60 years later we had another war with Bolivia (we won) also a heavy impact, later we had militar corrupt dictatorships supported by US government (cause of Domino theory)that only gave us corruption and underdevelopment.

Paraguay has plenty of fertile land, water, electricity, almost no natural disasters, cheap labour hand, almost no ethnic or racial issues.

Regarding helmets and sea belts, we have laws requiring you to do so, in the Capital City control over it is getting more severe and people are paying more attention to it.

I can say that today in Paraguay, we live a very free, calm life. People say there is violence, but comapre with Brazil, Argentina or Chile, or Colombia, Paraguay is very very calm, that`s why people from those countries say.

So Mike what would be your biggest interest in comming to Paraguay?

Please keep me posted.

Kind regards,

Jerónimo

Someone said "US citizens believe the US has the most freedom and liberty in the world.  I'm not sure that is true." Long ago this is true. It was certainly true after the revolution in 1776 and after the establishment of the 2nd and current government of the United States. A weird thing happens decades and centuries after a revolution; the new government after abolishing the government they revolted against, degenerates becoming worse than the old government. This is a result of power and greed. Constitutions don't seem to help.

About economics, there is a weird thing about it, it differs from place to place. Prices and wages differ and values of the local currencies differ as do prices and wages. The next social evolution may be the abolition of or phasing out of, the concept of money.

Kraig

I see many people on this forum (and am contacted through my website) that want to move to Paraguay because they are unhappy with the current or suspected future state of their homeland, be it European countries or the US.  A lot of people like to talk about escaping lack of liberties, corruption, greed, etc.

Maybe this is obvious but I will say it anyway. Paraguay is not paradise. This is an underdeveloped country with its fare share of problems, many of which you will come face to face with on a daily basis as a foreigner. Certainly there are aspects of life in Paraguay that are more relaxed and easier than in other countries. For some these are worth the hassle of dealing with expected and unexpected difficulties of living here.

Whenever I am contacted by people who want to move here I suggest they make a list of the things they are unhappy about with their country and the things that they are happy about. Don't just look whether the things you don't like exist in Paraguay. Take the time to research whether the things you LIKE exist in Paraguay (for example:access to a good public library or dependable mail system).

The good thing about forums like this one is that it provides us all with a venue to talk realistically about the good and bad things about living in Paraguay.

Ok, I will get off my soap box now.
Saludos!

Jeronimo,Sorry for the very late reply.

My main interest in Paraguay is economic freedom, liberty, and opportunity.

My first trip to Paraguay would be as a tourist.  I already have a tourist visa, but no airline ticket. 

As a tourist I would most like to take the Guarani up the Paraguay River to.... as far as it will go. 

I would like to stop in Concepcion to try and get a grasp for how it could have been so important in the 1880s... and what happened since.

Also, why are there so many Yankees in Horqueta?  Or is it just the internet giving a false perception.

Villami - to see the cement plant.

Then, at least to Bahia Negra, and if it is not too hard, onto Puerto Busch in Bolivia.

I'd also like to visit sites where oil/gas wells have been drilled.... and presumably abandoned.

I'm not a big-shot industrialist.  I'm just amazed at how a normal person, like myself, can leave the beaten path and see what industrialists are doing.

I've gotta go to CDL because there is so much commerce there.

I am thinking that it would be a Good idea to gather all of the paperwork for a Cedula before going to Paraguay.

GuidetoParaguay,
Good to see you post again.  You've got me pegged!  I perceive a drastic loss of civil liberties in the US.  Additionally a lot of economic policies are being implemented that will guaranty declining wealth.

Paraguay fails the first litmus test of freedom: seat belt & helmet laws.  It's petty.  I know  But a bad sign.

Here is what I expect to dislike about Paraguay:
1. Cheap $1 reading glasses -unavailable
2. Hot humid rainy summers -some places inaccessible
3. Mosquitos & other vicious insects
4. Piranas & alligators in the rivers
5. Unreliable mail
6. Unreliable parcel service
7. difficult transportation infrastructure
8. Unavailable cheap consumer products we take for granted in the US, like tarps, tools, shoes, electronics, concrete blocks.

Other things I'll have to get used to:
1. kissing on the cheek
2. Hiring a professional to interface with governmental paperwork.

Things I expect to like:
1) I expect the people to be a lot like Mexicans; to have a sense of pride and honesty (even though the mail might get stolen & the police may want bribes, most people are honest)
2) inexpensive land
3) inexpensive labor
4) inexpensive electricity
5) active informal economy (clasipar)

Kraig,
You've made a lot of interesting posts.

I'll disagree with you about money phasing out.  But on your side of the argument is the unexplainable rise of Linux, which is free.  And people contribute to it freely.

Hi Mike:

DonŽt worry for the late reply.

In case you want to come to Py as a tourist, I think the best time for doing so would be Between late August and early December.

Regarding your listing:
Here is what I expect to dislike about Paraguay:
1. Cheap $1 reading glasses -unavailable/ we have them, lets say for 4 bucks
2. Hot humid rainy summers -some places inaccessible/it depends on which part of Py you are visiting
3. Mosquitos & other vicious insects/ again depends where you are living
4. Piranas & alligators in the rivers/ also depends which river
5. Unreliable mail/ not really
6. Unreliable parcel service
7. difficult transportation infrastructure/depends where you are going
8. Unavailable cheap consumer products we take for granted in the US, like tarps, tools, shoes, electronics, concrete blocks (I donŽt think so)

Other things I'll have to get used to:
1. kissing on the cheek
2. Hiring a professional to interface with governmental paperwork. Yeah I know I am a lawyer and most foreigners complain about that

Things I expect to like:
1) I expect the people to be a lot like Mexicans; to have a sense of pride and honesty (even though the mail might get stolen & the police may want bribes, most people are honest)most people are honest and calmer than mexicans just take normal precautions
2) inexpensive land true
3) inexpensive labor true
4) inexpensive electricity true
5) active informal economy (clasipar)(true)

In case you need any HELP here please let me know, I mean references, where to or where not to go, etc. Also if someone is asking for brives let me know, I have contact in the district attorneys office, deputies shouldnŽt been asking for that.

Kind regards,

Jerónimo

I just wanted to comment on Guide to Paraguay's post. I think her points are spot on and she offers extremely good advice to all thinking about immigrating or becoming "expats" in Paraguay (or anywhere really). 

I would just add that regardless of  your motivation to look into becoming an expat down here you first need to visit as many times as possible before the decision is made and your bridges back home are burned.  Because no matter how in depth your research  prior to arrival, the "ground truth"  you find once you get here can be breath takingly different than what you expected. 

Mike.M, love your list!  I think any or all of us have had, or still have, a similar one.  I think I would agree with Jfinestra though that cheap consumer goods shouldn't be a major concern.  I have found though that "quality" tools, especially power tools, (thanks for the heads up Nico!)are very expensive.  And as for having to hire a local to help with official paperwork......I would say that as long as you speak Spanish and can check out websites and/or access a local phone book you can easily handle these hassles yourself.  Just be prepared to put up with a little frustration and don't expect anything to be done quickly and you'll get it taken care of.

Perhaps the biggest shock I have had is how few Americans live in Paraguay, and how few people speak English. More young people are learning English now, but if you donŽt speak Spanish, itŽs difficult here.

I had a problem with my internet service, and at the main Tigo office in Asuncion, which is pretty big, there was not a single person in the whole building who spoke English to help me. 

I donŽt want or expect people to speak English here. ThatŽs not my point. My point is simply compared to other countries, if you donŽt speak Spanish in Paraguay, itŽs a lot more difficult, and if youŽre thinking about moving here, you need to be aware of that.

Good points Zollie.   I'd add that even when one speaks Spanish, when Paraguayans don't want a foreigner to understand their conversation, they simply switch to Guarani. 

It's a pretty cool national policy when one thinks about it.  It'd be like yankees having to learn an indigenous language like Apache to graduate from high school and to qualify for admission into the university system.

The question of security is a serious question in any Latin American country. The problem is not just for those who are non-native.

I am fortunate to have friends here who are from the upper middle and upper class of Asuncion, and I know numerous people native to Asuncion.

They know exactly what to do and what not to do and many have guards at their homes. But I canŽt think of anyone who has not been assaulted or robbed, or had their car or home broken into.

At first blush, it didnŽt seem to be a big problem to me. But the longer I have been here, and the more I see and know about Asuncion, the less confident I am about my personal security here.

The problem I see, at least in my personal opinion, is not a lack of personal freedom. I donŽt know how there could possibly be any more personal freedom than Asuncion.

The police donŽt use helmets on their motorcycles. I would estimate probably only 1/3, possibly less, no more, of the people on motorcycles are wearing helmets.

As far as traffic laws are concerned, that appears to be on strictly an honor system, as far as I can tell.

Anyone can sell anything, anywhere as far as I can tell, and it would impossible to measure the "informal" economy here, which is almost impossible to avoid.

If personal liberty is your biggest concern, then Paraguay is paradise. But the flip of side of that coin is to be prepared to live in Dodge City, without a sheriff. The police donŽt prevent crime here, they only report on it after the fact.

The first night I was in Asuncion, I was staying at the Sheraton. There was some kind of party with young people going on that night.

I woke up about 5 am to the find a huge fight going on right in front of the Sheraton. I could view it from my window. There were probably 50 or more high school age young men having a fist fight.

This went on for more than 30 minutes, with no one, not even the security at the Sheraton, doing anything to stop it.

The police arrived about 30 minutes after it broke up, one small car and a couple of sleepy eyed policemen.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Thanks Zollie, that was really interesting.  Anecdotes are useful in assessing reality.

I landed in Seoul in 1978 and the first thing I saw was guards with machine guns, powerless to confront a fight between large family groups over baggage.

Fights happen everywhere.  About 15 years ago in a rural Oregon town of 15,000 souls we had an ll-consuming fight at a wedding reception.  It was big enough that the City Police, the State Police, and the Sheriff's office all responded.

Regarding the upper class' penchant for security, do you think they are over-reacting?

"As far as traffic laws are concerned, that appears to be on strictly an honor system, as far as I can tell."

There might be an exception for gringos/yankees.  I was stopped once for making a right turn after stopping at a stoplight.  Unlike Calif., that is illegal in Paraguay.  I gave the nice policeman $50,000 guarani and was on my way.  Another time in Villa Florida the police stopped me just to check my papers.  As I only carry a copy of my passport for security reasons, that little escapade cost me another $50,000 guarani.  I think if you look like you have money, there's a good chance you'll get stopped.  I've also noticed checkpoints on Mariscal Lopez near the University going toward San Lorenzo and they've always got people pulled over.  It's important to have all the right paperwork in the car.

Do the policemen have a reason for their checkpoint?  Or is it a checkpoint for the sake of having a checkpoint?

I believe they're looking for cars that don't have all their papers in order and drivers under the influence.  If they stop you and there's anything amiss, e.g. no seatbelt, etc., expect a fine (unless you can negotiate your way out which can be very difficult if there are a lot of them).

Mike.M
Regarding the upper class' penchant for security, do you think they are over-reacting?

No, I donŽt.

Hi Zollie,
living in Asuncion is like living in Dodge City, without a sheriff.
I like this, because it is exactly what it is. Asuncion changed a lot during the last 4-5 years. But never forget, that Paraguay is not only Asuncion. There are still many quiet and friendly places left to live. The problem turns up when you need to make money because then Asuncion is one of the few places you need to live. I know people from all over the world living down here with no problems at all. But these people work in the internet and may live wherever they want.
Saludos Christine

I have been living in Asuncion almost six months now. Here are my observations, things IŽve liked, things IŽve had difficulty with, which I do not present as fact, and which are constantly changing.

The food is great. Fruit, vegetables, coffee, and so forth is fresh, and delicious. I donŽt generally care for the meat because itŽs got a lot of fat and not much seasoning. Natives eat lots and lots of meat, and very little fruit or vegetables. I like the wines from Argentina, and they not very expensive.

Asuncion was totally different than I expected it to be IŽm from Tennessee in the US, and Asuncion is about the size of Nashville. I expected the airport here, in the capital city of a country, to be more or less like the airport in Nashville. There were cows beside the runway when I landed, and when I saw the airport from the air I thought I must have gotten a wrong flight and landed in some small city in Paraguay.

This is just an example. Paraguay is a developing democracy, with an emerging economy, and probably has a great future with a decent government. But right now, in terms of its size, and being the capital of a country, youŽll probably be surprised at how different Asuncion is from Buenos Aires, or Lima, or some other city if you have experiences in other capital cities.

ThatŽs not to say itŽs bad, itŽs just different than I expected.

Dating DoesnŽt Exist Here.If you go out with someone more than once, youŽre their "novio" which has a broad range of meaning, from boyfriend, to the person I plan on marrying. I know Latin women are possessive and jealous, but be prepared for something unlike you have ever seen before with women in Paraguay. When they start on one of their insane tirades, be prepared for them to say anything, donŽt react to anything they say, and there is no point in your saying anything. Eventually they will wear themselves out. If you try to respond or to defend yourself, it will never stop.

You have to speak very softly. IŽm learning Spanish, it was one of the main reasons I wanted to be here, but if I forget and speak in what would be a normal conversational tone in English, they think I are very upset and that I am yelling.

You can never be in a hurry or show the least bit of impatience. This in particular has been difficult for me, and is only made worse by the fact that my Spanish is minimal. I tend to be expressive anyway, and I sometimes get frustrated because I canŽt explain what I need, or want, and they interpret this as anger or being "nervioso," which has a broad range of meanings, none of which are good.

ItŽs very difficult to find comfortable furniture. IŽm a little taller than normal, even for an American, and everything is too small, and the furniture is too hard.

Paraguyans are very provencial. Paraguay is a very small country in terms of population, and even smaller in terms of economic status. Asuncion is not a tourist destination or a cosmopolitan city.

DonŽt expect people to be able to look at things from multiple points of view, or to understand why you might think differently about something. If you think differently, they assume you donŽt understand, and will explain over and over, until finally you say "Now I understand." Which to them means you agree.

So donŽt expect to be able to debate and discuss as you might back home. I try to think of myself as a journalist, an observer, not a participant, even in disussions. It is hard to avoid, because they always want to know what Americans think, or what the US is like, but itŽs best not to say what you individually think.

They have a difficult time understanding that there is no such thing as a "typical" American. They have a very clear idea of what is "typically Paraguayan," and have difficulty grasping how different Tennessee might be from New York, or California, or Florida. Or how different individuals in the US might be from each other.

If you donŽt like futbol (soccer) youŽre SOL. ItŽs 24/7/365.

They eat at 10-12pm, and there is not much else to do in Asuncion.Eating out is pretty much all the social life there is, and IŽm too old to want to go to clubs at 1am and stay until 5am. Eating at 10-11pm is something IŽve not been able to adjust to. I try to eat a big lunch, and hope I can hold on until midnight.

Speaking Spanish all the time is tiring, and stressful. I didnŽt realize how much concentration is required, and how tiring it can be. IŽm still at the point I  think in English and translate in my head before I can speak. Sometimes I have to give in, turn on the cable TV and watch something in English, just to relax.

The list could go on, my perceptions are different now than they were three months ago, and thus are likely to be different in another three months.

ItŽs been interesting to live here for six months. IŽve enjoyed myself, and learned a lot. DonŽt know if IŽll land here permanently, but I havenŽt regretted coming here.

Hi Zollie!

Thanks for sharing with us your impressions about lifestyle in Paraguay. It is very inspiring.

Regards,
Sheetul

Thanks Zollie!  That was really interesting.  Cows at the airport says a lot... and there's nothing wrong with it.

I thought Asuncion would be like a Latin American Capital; a version of LA.  A place to escape from.  You make it sound, 'just fine.'

Do you study Spanish by reading any of the local newspapers?

Hi Mike,

I donŽt generally read the newspapers. The news here is just as depressing as it is in the US. If I do, I read it only using Google to translate the page, just for the content. I have a book of poetry I read occasionally.

I focus on speaking and understanding. Of course, reading and writing helps a lot. I have found Spanish not to be terribly difficult. I watch movies and listen to Latin DVDs I like that have the lyrics in the box.

For me, itŽs more difficult to understand others than for me to communicate with them, at least as far as simple things are concerned. The difficulty is when I need to nuisance speech, or explain something complicated, or technical.

Every three months I have to make a quick "visa run," and last time it was to Argentina, to Buenos Aires. I found it much easier there. The people speak more clearly and forcefully in Argentina, and for me that is much easier to understand.

Many people here mix Spanish with Guarani, which also makes it more difficult. But generally speaking, this isnŽt a problem for day to day things you need to know. They understand Spanish, of course, even if they themselves mix it.

I would add, and I donŽt mean to sound critical, but itŽs simply a fact, and I think many people here will tell you the same thing, that people in Paraguay are not well educated. Many do not speak or write Spanish well. That also makes it more difficult.

I knew no Spanish at all when I got here, and it hasnŽt been easy. But not knowing Spanish was not really the greatest difficulty.

If youŽre serious about moving here, and donŽt have citizens who own property or have credit to help you, renting or getting a phone, or getting internet service, utilities, cable, and so on is difficult.

Your credit in the US means nothing. They have their own credit system, which is very different, and gives a lot of power to those who own property here. I donŽt think itŽs especially anti-American, Paraguay just isnŽt set up for others to live here easily.

Seriously, browse online for renting property in Lima, or Costa Rica, or Argentina, or even Montevideo in Uruguay, which is pretty much the same size, and a capital city like Asuncion. Then compare that to trying to find somewhere in Paraguay to live.

As far as Spanish is concerned, these are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Learn as much as you possible can before you come here, because Paraguay has far fewer people who speak English, even in major businesses, than many other Latin American countries. I think that would be good advise in any Latin country, but especially here.

Second, bring all your Spanish learning resources with you, even if it you have to pay extra to do so. They are just not available here.

Third, there are good online resources that are free, and I use some of those as well.

Good advice Zollie.  Now I'm really curious about how you ended up in Paraguay!

As for learning Spanish (and Guarani if one is so inclined), I'd highly recommend a school downtown called IDIPAR  elmercadoazul.com/idipar.edu.py/idipar/index.php

The owners Bernardo and Lulu are wonderful and their teachers are excellent (plus they have lots of resources and know everything about the city).  The few times I have studied Castellano at IDIPAR, I was the only student in a group class because all the other students were learning Guarani, including some surgeons from Germany who were doing a residency in Asuncion.

I have a hard enough time with Castellano, though I did learn how to say "Let's go!" in Guarani.

"Ya!"

IŽve spent the better part of my life raising my two daughters and working like a slave at times. In recent years I got involved in a few internet things that turned out reasonably well.

So now my daughters are grown, and I had the opportunity to live and work anywhere in the world. ItŽs something IŽve always wanted to do, and couldnŽt come up with a good answer to a question from one of my daughters: "If not now, when?"

So I started reading about different places in Central or South America. I looked first at Costa Rica, and Lima, and assorted other places. They all had their pros and cons.

Paraguay wasnŽt even on my radar. Just by happenstance I met someone from Asuncion, and the rest as they say, is history.

IŽm actually about ready to move on, but IŽve got a nice, two bedroom apartment here, and I just bought new furniture, TV, sound system, refrigerator, a really nice bed, dining room suit, and nice office furniture. I had it painted before I moved in, and got nice curtains. I also got an air conditioner for the living room. The bedrooms already had them. ItŽs very comfortable, very nice, and works very well well for one person or a couple.

ItŽs in a very secure part of the city in Villa Mora, gated, with guards, and everything you need is within a few blocks. It took me a while to find.

I plan on keeping the apartment, but IŽd like to live somewhere else for a while. I also need to visit a new grandchild in the States. If anyoneŽs interested in subletting it for a few months, itŽs ideal to test the waters here, or live in for that matter.

Not trying to advertise, but just letting you know. TheyŽre not easy to find. IŽm not planning on letting it go, but I would like to see some other parts of South American, and spend a little time in the Caribbean also.

My goal is to have to have two or three places. IŽm a little bit of a rolling stone.

Hi Zollie,

Your bio reads like my life, especially the part about working like a slave at times.

Did you buy your apartment?  I often think about relocating to Asuncion but am also enamored with Buenos Aires which is considerably more expensive.  Sometimes I look at Clasipar to check the prices for buying/renting apartments and houses in and around Asuncion.  I often wonder if the prices are inflated on Clasipar.  Do you have any perspective on that?

Villa Mora is quite nice; I always had the impression it was more expensive because of its proximity to the embassies, etc. 

One big plus about Buenos Aires versus Paraguay is that one really doesn't need a car.  The subways, taxis, and buses are very efficient and affordable, and everything is relatively close.  In Paraguay however, a car is a necessity because everything is so spread out and the buses can be dangerous (it reminds me of LA on a smaller scale).  I've used them, but it's a different experience from BsAs; for one thing, half the time one has to learn to get on and off while the bus is moving.  The drivers don't waste ANY time!

No, IŽm not interested in buying property in Latin American. IŽm not anywhere close to wanting to live somewhere on a permanent basis. Unless it were a sailboat.

yesterdayŽs over my shoulder, so I canŽt look backwards too long... thereŽs too much to see waiting in front of me and I know that I just canŽt go wrong with these...

...changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, nothing remains quite the same.

..with all of our running and all of our cunning if we couldnŽt laugh we would all go insane.

...if we werenŽt all crazy we would go insane.

This thread is fantastic! Thanks to everyone for your advice.
My family and I are planning to move to Asuncion next year. My wife is Paraguayan and we have a 14 month old son.

I found this cool site for cost of living : numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Paraguay&city=Asuncion

Which is a great point of reference, but I don't know how accurate it is. It seems that some of the info might be old, but it doesn't list dates for when the info was collected.
Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the information there?

thanks,
dexter

Thanks sfdexter!  That is a neat site. 

I expected it to be some kind of mechanically calculated site, based on the Big Mac Index, or something.  But what it seems to be is a wiki-price type of site where users input the prices.

For Asuncion, it says it was last updated Aug. 2010.

To check numbeo.com's honesty I compared it to prices on our cost of living thread:

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5173

and of course I was trying to find fault.

numbeo.com has cheese at $5/kg Aug. 2010
guidetoparaguay has artesanal boursin cheese at 7,000 Guaranis/500gms
=14,000guaranisperkgm/5,100Guaranis(3/23/2009)=$2.74/kg

Generally, except for cheese the prices looked reasonable.  But what do Asuncion natives think?

Hi All,

I'm a US Ex-pat currently living in Buenos Aires (Past 6 years) - I'm about to move to Asunción.  Been there and loved it. Fortunately having an Argentine citizenship helps me tremendously with moving there.  Argentina is getting more and more expensive and its even more expensive for businesses to thrive there and retain talent.  I did a fair amount of research and found out there is a lot of foreign investment pumping money into projects there. My interest is in developing IT and Software service companies in Asunción.  Already interviewed over 55 talented developers and their English level is incredible. 

I'm open for an ex-pat meet and greet in Asunción (cold beer is necessary in the 100+ degree weather LOL)

Hello all,

Been browsing the forum posts,  gathering information and feedback.
Putting up together a "to do list" and " not to do".

The country for sure has some advantages, it has been atracting as this article states :
http://www.lanacion.com.py/articulo/597 … aguay.html

and
http://www.diarionorte.com/noticia.php?numero=79240

Security issues is always relevant, but it seems the circulation of guns is quite heavy.
All the way from Portugal, found 2 tips on where to get a gun :

http://clasipar.paraguay.com/pistola_9_ … 83613.htmlhttp://clasipar.paraguay.com/star_45_he … 27114.html

just a curiosity, clasipar is one of the Internet property of
http://www.chena.com/ a very sucessfull internet developer company, lead by a Paraguay man wich also owns http://www.patazas.com.br/ and http://www.xoppi.com

He is not yet on this list :
http://www.mih.com/senior-management-internet.php, but this shows how diverse the country might be, spite of stats ( http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Lati … per-capita ).

Already got a non refundable ticket, should be in place on May, for trial purposes.
Would it aceptable to share some insights in terms of best areas to rent ? Would like to narow my search in terms of a short time rental. For example, this proposal - http://clasipar.paraguay.com/casa_colon … 06807.html - on google maps do not seen that far from downtown.

Could you guys share some insights in terms of recomendable Bairros ?

thanks for sharing
Paulo
Portugal