Moving with a toddler and newborn to Kuwait

Hi!

I am from Australia and moving to Kuwait for my husband's work with a 2 year old and 1 month old (both girls). From all I have read on this site and looking through other websites like mum's in Kuwait it looks like there will be heaps to keep us occupied!

We will be staying near Al-Salmiya, I think, from the information I have been given.

Open to any settling in tips and advice from you :)

Thank you!
Lauren

Welcome to Kuwait @lleela. In my opinion Kuwait is a pleasant country, and I hope you'll find it as such.

Since your question is broad I'll just give you a generic answer. If you'll be settling in Salmiya then you'll be at most 5 minutes drive (20 minutes walk) from most of the major facilities (markets, parks, coast, immigration ... etc.). The area is full of some of the nicest shopping malls, supermarkets, restaurants and the like.

Each area has a cooperative society "Shortly, Coop" (a supermarket for groceries, appliances ... etc.). This is where most of the grocery shopping takes place (good prices and quality).

Let us know what more you'd like to know. Good luck.

Lauren
Check the vacinations.  The prodcedure for vacinations here are different from other countries.  I do not have the list and timings with me now so I cannot say what and when.  My little one was schedule to have his OPV2 (?) at 18 months but when he arrived at 17 months it was required before getting his residency.  Also I found the medical (and on a whole) for kids here lacking a certain finese.  His other 18 month vaccines were the worse.  My wife and I agreed to take him back to Thailand for his vaccines, dental and check ups.

There are a variety of parks and playgrounds but cleanliness is an issue. Do not be fussy with cleanliness in kids areas - it will make them strong.  We have to be constantly looking at the ground for ruble, broken glass, litter, etc. Your little one would like running around once the temperature is okay.  But a play groups and other mothers would have more information.   

Check your accomadation for a private garden or play area (roof terrace at least).  This lets them run around in relatively safe or controlled environment.   

My little one is going on two in June and he is generally getting use to the place.

Thank you, I appreciate the info! I was actually concerned about the vaccination schedule as it seems very different to the Australian one. My 2 year old has finished her baby vaccines now and it looks like we will have to get more. I will chat to my GP before we go to discuss the required vaccines and see if I can get them done before we leave for the 2 year old. There isn't much I can do about my 1 month old though in preparation.

Thanks for the warning re parks, I will ensure she has adequate shoes before we visit any parks. We are a little relaxed here, she is hardly ever in shoes!

Appreciate you taking the time to write to me!

L