Dispose of old computer

What is the best way to dispose of an old unusable laptop computer, recycle it,  and make sure the info is removed from my hard drive, in HCMC?

Throw it in the recycling bin  :lol:  joke...
On a serious note, i would remove the Hard Disk from the laptop and if you dont require it, destroy it, either by damaging it or stripping it apart. Then you can approach a laptop repair place that you could sell it to? you may earn a few bob out of it.  ;)  just a suggestion  :D

Definitely remove the hard drive. If you buy a hard drive reader you can access any information that is on it at a later date. You never know what you might forget. If you're feeling generous you can always get a shop to install a new hard drive and then give it to a charity or local school. Doesn't cost a lot and it's greatly appreciated, they always need stuff like that. Personally I get the HDD replaced and then give it to a family member or friend, someone who needs it.

Stop! Hammer time!

Seriously, though: http://www.wikihow.com/Destroy-a-Hard-Drive

That's a very good suggestion  :)

The Long Man wrote:

Definitely remove the hard drive. If you buy a hard drive reader you can access any information that is on it at a later date. You never know what you might forget. If you're feeling generous you can always get a shop to install a new hard drive and then give it to a charity or local school. Doesn't cost a lot and it's greatly appreciated, they always need stuff like that. Personally I get the HDD replaced and then give it to a family member or friend, someone who needs it.

Thanks for the good info.

Thanks, I will look for a HD reader. Wonder how much $. Hope I can find one at Phong Vu.  Also I need to get all the data and photos off of it and onto my new laptop. I already own a WD back up drive. Unfortunately my motherboard and graphics chip are shot.  So, too expensive to repair.

The same people who replace the hard drive will be able to move files for you. If you have a HD reader there's no need to back up as the old drive will have al the files on it still and you can access whenever you need them. One tip though, when you buy a new computer be sure to create a rescue disk before you load ANYTHING onto it. That way you'll be able to recover the original drivers etc in case of a crash.

thanks, how do I create a rescue disk?  already loaded my computer and been using it for a week...too late now?

StevenG wrote:

thanks, how do I create a rescue disk?  already loaded my computer and been using it for a week...too late now?

No it's not to late Steve:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … epair-disc

Not ideal it depends on what you've loaded. Go to control panel click recovery and follow the instructions. Depending on the computer you've got you will need 3-4 discs or a decent sized, clean, memory stick. 32GB is big enough for most operating systems it will tell you how much memory is needed when you start the rescue program.

Hey, I watched YouTube tutorial and removed my HDD myself, then paid 12USD for a reader at Phong Vu and it works great.  I will save the HDD as a backup. Thanks again.