World Cup Help Please

Lack of real foresight on the part of my partner means that we are not 'World Cup Enabled'(we have no special card or set top box to watch the footie).  We need urgent advice - can we watch on StarSat Hotbird?  We have RAI Uno, various other RAIs, ZDF, Dubai Sport; is it possible we can catch the matches for free on these channels?? 

We have no tech knowledge so simple answers please!  Many many thanks

Go to liveonsat.com and check the daily listings
The free to air channels are in red

Set yourself up with a new set top receiver and the Aljazeera sports world cup package. Will only set you back about 230 LYD, and subscription lasts 6 months.

i've been advised by the local libyan sat-man ( who shares my adoration of Diego Maradonna by the way ) that ZDF and ARD ( both German ) should be showing the games.

I hope he's right as I don't want to spend cash on Al Jazeera just yet with a football-free month after the WC.

fingers crossed . . .

sitting out here in the hills east of Benghazi with hundreds of disinterested turks and one smug englishman . . .   ;-)

LibyanJag wrote:

i've been advised by the local libyan sat-man ( who shares my adoration of Diego Maradonna by the way ) that ZDF and ARD ( both German ) should be showing the games.

I hope he's right as I don't want to spend cash on Al Jazeera just yet with a football-free month after the WC.

fingers crossed . . .

sitting out here in the hills east of Benghazi with hundreds of disinterested turks and one smug englishman . . .   ;-)

ARD and ZDF will show the games...
look here (german):
http://www.medienhandbuch.de/news/fussb … 32345.html

Cheers guys.  Here's hoping you are right.  I don't want to fork out the cash for a year of NBA or whatever if I can get the matches free and listen online to 5 Live or similar.

At least we are in Group C, so have a couple of days grace (panic) if we can't see it free! :lol:

Danke bayburlu, extremely helpful and now cellotaped to my office wall ;-)

uefastriker wrote:

Set yourself up with a new set top receiver and the Aljazeera sports world cup package. Will only set you back about 230 LYD, and subscription lasts 6 months.

Is Al-Jazeera sports package offering ALL of the World Cup games live?

From what I've seen on their schedule, they are showing the opening games this Friday, but not the Nigeria and England games on Saturday.

Yes, all games live. The games you mention are being shown on:

Sat 12/06/2010 | Argentina - Nigeria |  AJWC, AJ+9, AJ3D, AJHD   

Sat 12/06/2010 | England - USA |   AJWC, AJ+9, AJHD

aljazeerasport.net/custom/worldcup2010/english/default.html

Thanks fella :)

Anytime. I tell you..its worth the money just hearing Trevor Francis wax lyrical every night in the preview shows.

there is a chip to be fixed in the receiver that unblocks all channels called ( Dongol ) check it

EMERGENCY!!!  We have got ARD on but the screen is blank.  Would appreciate urgent advice, or do we have to make the painful walk down to the shop and shell out for Al-Jazeera?  Cheers guys

I can seriously recommend the Humax HD receiver and Al Jazeera sports package.

The box comes with the JSC card embedded, plus a spare card slot, so you can watch OSN or whatever thru the same box, including the HD broadcasts. It also has HDMI and component connections but alas no Co-Ax digital or optical audio outputs.

470 Lyd for the receiver and 12 months subs.

Match commentary is English, btw.

Thanks v much - it is all Greek to me but i will take your words of wisdom to the TV shop forthwith :)

Wildcats wrote:

Thanks v much - it is all Greek to me but i will take your words of wisdom to the TV shop forthwith :)

Good luck - just make sure that you watch them authorise your box & subscription and you see everything working as it should be!

and one nil to the Saffers

having a very bad aljazeera world cup experience so far. Missed the first half of the opening game. Now the first half of the Argentina game. Apparently due to hackers. hmmmmm...

Sandman6 wrote:

Match commentary is English, btw.

Match commentary is english or arabic on the HD channels.  There are two audio feeds.

Quality of the HD is pretty good.  I went with the echolink HD box, price is only a few dinars more than the one sandman mentioned.

uefastriker wrote:

having a very bad aljazeera world cup experience so far. Missed the first half of the opening game. Now the first half of the Argentina game. Apparently due to hackers. hmmmmm...

The JSC World Cup channel dropped out at the start of the openining game, but I just flipped over to JSC Sports HD1 and that feed was working fine.