New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourself here

jacks067 wrote:

If you don't think Ecuador is the easiest place to teach, what are some other places in Latin/South America that you would recommend?  I'm pretty much open to anywhere.

Probably anywhere it is best to make arrangements in advance. You need to do some computer research about schools, companies looking for English teachers. I suspect that some of the tourist visas are granted only with a RT ticket. Am  I right? Also might behoove you to look into current situations in some Latin and South American countries before you head out

My comment about teaching applies to the whole entire area and practice of teaching --not just in South America. It is not an easy job--this said after many years in the trenches so to speak. I enjoyed most of those years including most recently corporate language training. I know that teaching adults in most places involves a lot of split shifts. Here--much less pay and as yet I am not sure what, if any, the benefits might be. For my two cents--teaching in the schools is for the young or hardened.

suefrankdahl wrote:
jacks067 wrote:

If you don't think Ecuador is the easiest place to teach, what are some other places in Latin/South America that you would recommend?  I'm pretty much open to anywhere.

Probably anywhere it is best to make arrangements in advance. You need to do some computer research about schools, companies looking for English teachers. I suspect that some of the tourist visas are granted only with a RT ticket. Am  I right? Also might behoove you to look into current situations in some Latin and South American countries before you head out

With all due respect to the Oracle of Oregon, her post does not answer Jacks question.

According to www.internationalteflacademy.com, the top five Spanish-speaking countries for teaching English are:

1. Chile
    2. Costa Rica
    3. Spain
    4. Peru
    5. Argentina

The website goes into detail on each country.

Byerly here is a links for an online paper for Loja.

http://www.cronica.com.ec/

Barry, with your SS income, your backup plans and your positive attitude --
"I am 63 and I want to live now" -- you're set to succeed.

Jacque Messer wrote:

We are Bob & Jacque from Phoenix, AZ.  (We) have fallen in love with Ecuador. We already speak of ourselves as Cuencanos....We would certainly appreciate any words of wisdom anyone could give us.

With the many years of stuff you have accumulated and (mostly) need to release, make itself easy on yourselves when it comes time to let go of your car.

Consider CarFax.  When I moved to EC last year from Cincinnati, it was a godsend to deal with them.   They made it so easy:  an inspection at any hour they are open and then a quick quote, which in my case was more than I expected based on Blue Book, which quote is good for a week.

No muss, no fuss, no apparent chance the deal was going to fall through just before my flight.

Thank you so very much.

Mary

hi to everybody,
my name is Riccardo, i'm italian and i'm quite old in Ecuador, but i find this site recently.
i live here since 2003, this is an amazing place to live.
any question, i will be happy to help you.

suerte!

camelhouse wrote:

my name is Riccardo...i live here since 2003, this is an amazing place to live. any question, i will be happy to help you.

Riccardo, as an architect seeking projects at Ecuador's famous and desirable beachfront, perhaps you can explain something:  how it is that you're not at the beach but in Guayaquil, which many posters have described as overcrowded and dangerous with a history of way more "express kidnappings" than anywhere else in Ecuador.
(I realise there is one vecino called Sambo which supposedly is gated and safer.)  Maybe you have a different take on Guayaquil that you would want to share.

Nice to hear from you and your really positive feelings about this country! Maybe you could say what has made you feel so good about living here as you have been here fro quite a long time. Look forward to reading your comments as people who are new here can benefit from positive comments. Thanks so much!

Cccmedia,
I live in guayaquil, becuase i'm working here. I construct some houses and a resort in the beachside, but the 80% of my work is here. I think that all the places.can be danderous or not, depending of a lot of factors. I don't like guayaquil very much, but i don't think that it is a danderous place.  Usually, I don't go out at night and i go by my own car, that reduces the risks. In more that 10 years here, i don't receive an express kidnapping yet!

Well that's sure good to know--hopefully you won't receive one of those 'express' kidnappings. I don't really understand what you mean but they don't sound like fun.  :o

I just want to say that guayaquil is not so dangerous as a lot of people picture it! I travel to a lot of country (india, sri lanka, colombia, peru, etc.) and guayaquil is not more dangerous than other cities i visited. The important thing is to take atencion, like all the other country in the world.

You are so right--pay attention to what is happening around you!

Who is supposedly the ' oracle of Oregon'--catchy little moniker!

Barbara Suderman wrote:

Who is supposedly the 'Oracle of Oregon'--catchy little moniker!

Her name must remain a secret, but the initials of her expat-blog avatar are SFD.

Cute! Hey--do you croon just like Elvis?

Where r u at these days?

Hello Barbara,  I am in the USA still but seriously considering moving that way soon.  Are you enjoying it there?  I have much to learn about life down there.  Do you work there?

I am here in looney town--at least that's how it feels to me sometimes. Especially when trying to cross the street. However, I have frequently felt well rewarded for surviving the streets so to speak. For example--I enjoy the weather very much and the beautiful fresh produce.

HI!--YES--I am alive and well and----
I am enjoying it here in Cuenca and must say I feel very alive especially when running for my life crossing the streets here. I can see a good future for my self here as I continue to learn a lot about myself in this culture. Tolerances--not so many tolerances--changing tolerances. Well--you get the picture. I find it is sometimes a real emotional roller coaster from serious giggling to tears of frustration. But--for my two cents worth--it is mucho major than living in the comfort zone that so many choose and then either don't come here or return to their home country.

Barbara Suderman wrote:

Hey--do you croon just like Elvis?

That depends on whether you consider this crooning:

"You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, cryin' all the time,
You ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend o' mine...."

cccmedia wrote:
Barbara Suderman wrote:

Hey--do you croon just like Elvis?

That depends on whether you consider this crooning:

"You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, cryin' all the time,
You ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend o' mine...."

But forget hound dogs, think Polish hot dogs.

An Elvis sighting, or "crooning,"  is anticipated for the pre-Hallowe'en fiesta at the South American Explorers (Quito clubhouse, www.saexplorers.com), featuring the aforementioned Polish salchichas.

OK--pretty good--you pass!

Thank you Barbara.   It sounds so interesting to me!  I cant wait to come down there to have a look around.  Hopefully sometime next spring!

You are welcome to stay in touch--maybe you will have a better idea then from an 'insiders point of view' ;)

Hey all

I am Raj Kumar. I am from India and my wife is from Ecuador. We are planning to move to Ecuador as currently living in India.
Any hope or job for Indian IT guy(Software) in Ecuador ?

Thanks.

me.raj.chaudhary wrote:

I am Raj Kumar. I am from India and my wife is from Ecuador.  Any hope or job for Indian IT guy (Software) in Ecuador?

Google:  City of Knowledge, Urcuqui, Ecuador.  This is the Correa Administration's project, about two hours from Quito, creating a new Silicon Valley..

Also is known as Ciudad de Concocimiento, or Yachay University project.

The town is pronounced ur-KOOKY.

Raj, I hope you find a great placement. I love your homeland! I have visited three times and I always want to go back!

Be well, be peace.

My name is Travis and I look forward to learning from many of you, who have already been living in Ecuador, and can offer helpful information for my move.  My plan is to move to Ecuador in 2017.  Looking more at Cuenca, but open to other areas as well.
Thanks.

cccmedia wrote:
me.raj.chaudhary wrote:

I am Raj Kumar. I am from India and my wife is from Ecuador.  Any hope or job for Indian IT guy (Software) in Ecuador?

Google:  City of Knowledge, Urcuqui, Ecuador.  This is the Correa Administration's project, about two hours from Quito, creating a new Silicon Valley..

Also is known as Ciudad de Concocimiento, or Yachay University project.

The town is pronounced ur-KOOKY.

Thanks a lot for this information i am very surprise with this. I will try to get more information on this. I guess can be a good IT resource for their project. Thanks again.

Any question, yuo are welcome! i have 10 years living in this beautiful country!

Thanks Susan,
I am looking for all possibilities. Please let me know if any thing you find in this context.
I am happy you had great time in India. Always welcome. I love here but guess have to move to Ecuador my wife she loves and misses Ecuador. Hope to get something before going there.

Thanks again have great time.

That is great to know for us all!

HI ALL
I am happy to find this site, because I plan to move in Nov. (if not sooner) and have a 1,000 questions. Though I am a Senior most people say I sound like a 30 year old.  I tell people I look good at midnight - with no moon! I hit the floor
running about 5:00 a.m.  Very Busy.  I am an artist. Taught oil painting (on and off) for over 40 years. My plans are to do Medical Missionary work (teaching people how to get well without drugs).  Am a vegatarian.  Will grow as much of my own food as possible. May start a farm to grow different foods, that isn't grown here - for us, but to sell to locals and restaurants.  So the locals will have a better income. Want to start a couple of companies. Main one is a natural herbs that will deter mosquitoes from biting people.  Found out that it is needed in Central America and the Philippines as well.  I was going to just turn this over to the locals, but I may have to keep control, so it runs smoothly.As this could go global.  Where don't they need this, is the question. And the main purpose is to save lives. So I hope to make a positive impact on the country.  I'm also a Christian and may put up a church.  Only God knows!!! That's all.

Hi I go by Loanne77
I am planning to be down there no later than Nov.  But you need to get in contact with me, because I am creating a natural spray to stop all flying things from biting people.  [email protected].  What I have found out is in Central America is low elevation and it about 85 degrees much of the time but also very humid.  You never have to take a shower!  Ecuador cities are between 7-8,000 feet elevation, but because it's on the Equator the temp is around 75.  Some cities get 7-8 months of rain a year (that doesn't mean every day - all day long).  I'm going where it has only 3 months of rain a year.  Top soil is 5 feet deep. Like virgin land.  There are only two seasons (rainy and non-rainy).
Sun comes up a 6:00 a.m. and sets at 6:00 p.m. every day.  If you don't speak Spanish.  Apple has a add on to the ipad that can translate for you.  You ask the man (in Eng. how much that apple is and he hears it in Spanish and answers in Spanish, and you hear it in English.)  Pretty cool huh!

Hi Loanne77      I am planning to move down there very soon.  The rent in Nicaragua for a 3 bedroom two bath was just $200.  But Ecuador has increased in the last 5 years, because of greed.  Most of the cities are 7-8,000 feet elevation, but because it is on the Equator it's about 75 degrees.  Be sure you can tolerate that high an elevation. My cousin moved to Idaho and they had to air lift her to a hospital and she almost died.  My friend in Villacabamba lives on
$100.00 a month.  But I would not do that. She has a garden.  If you don't speak the language, you need to be right in the city.  You can walk any place you need.  You can get a taxi (which is a guy with a pickup) will take you most any place for $1.00.  If you have an ipad (from Apple) with an attachment.  It will translate for you.  You can't flush the toilets with paper in it, because the gravity is so low it won't go down.  But you can live very comfortable on $900-1,000 per month very nicely.

just a really quick dumb question, because in my research the answers on various sites makes the information confusing between these two possibilitys,
90 days for tourists without the need for visas (I'm from Australia)

Ignoring that you can extend this by another 90 days whilst here,

the 90 days itself, is that total for a calendar year? or total per visit? Say I came 3 times for 80 days and returned to Australia within a year (Or anywhere else that stamps a passport for that matter, does that work?)

Unfortunately my visit this time is drawing to an end, I fly from Ecuador Saturday,
and I am not looking forward to being away from my girlfriend, and already planning on coming back soon, for longer periods of a time, to be with my girlfriend and study at the time for English school here in Guayaquil for longer periods of time, as I have really become to like the school, teachers, and few students and the extra time that could be focused on my studies because at most I was only ever in class with 2 other students, most of the time, my hour classes where just 1 on 1 with the teachers, or 2 on 1.

Just need to tie up some loose ends in Australia to help costs, Renting an apartment and paying off a car in Aus while I am here for periods of time is a little bit silly.

But until I apply for a permanent visa, was just curious on the 90 days, total per year or per visit kinda thing

Loanne77 wrote:

The rent in Nicaragua for a 3 bedroom two bath was just $200.  But Ecuador has increased in the last 5 years, because of greed....My friend in Villacabamba lives on $100.00 a month.  But I would not do that. She has a garden.

Lives on a hundred a month, hmmm.  This could use elaboration.  People are wondering, how does this person do that.  Must be something more here than having a garden.

I'm a single 55 year old woman seriously considering a move to Ecuador on a retirement visa.  I have about $1500 a month in pension income and some additional savings.  I am not looking for luxury living.  I prefer to live simply and do my own cooking and cleaning.  My background is ecology and I'm looking to also volunteer my time with groups working to benefit people and the environment.

I will be bringing myself and 3 or 4 cats with me. It is because of one of them that I am not making the move right now.  He's older and diabetic and I think it could be too rough on him.  If I can figure out how to make it easy on him, I may be ready to go in just a few months.  I won't be bringing anything else with me, just the fellas.  It sounds like the toughest part is going to be finding a place immediately that will permit them.  I'm hoping for something like a short term rental that allows pets while finding a longer term rental. 

It's incredibly exciting to have found this board and expats and other soon to be expats.  Looking forward to learning more from all of you.

Closed