New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourself here

An interesting topic--this. Where one person's will supercedes another. I, for one, hope I am never in that position. I applaud those of you who' bend' to others.

Hello Barbara ...

I have lived with a variety of others: people from all over the world in Kuwait 1971 to 1981, the largest group of Mennonites in the world 125K and counting and 7-8+ million on out skirts of Guadalajara, México. The key to enjoying one's self is to 'bend' as you put it or "When in Rome, do as the Romans". We expat must remember that we are the guests and it is all or nothing. You either love the place or you go home. We should remember that we are self appointed ambassadors from our respective countries and must be on our best behavior at all time.

I discovered some shocking info while reading about Ecuador. Loja, Ecuador was wired for electricity between 1895 and 1900. My home town of Buffalo, New York was the first city in the USA to have the city wired also between 1895 and 1900. I had thought Buffalo was the first city in the world but it looks like a photo finish with Loja, Ecuador. I must admit that I am shocked and humbled.

Best of luck ...

Regards,

Tom O'Brien aka Chema (José Maria)

Words well chosen and I completely agree-I try my best to be a good ambassador for Canada. A huge responsibility anywhere. Hopefully all people are aware of this rule incarnate.

Hi I live in England and have just recently started thinking about moving to Ecuador.However I have many questions-1) I am an electrician would it be easy for me to get a work visa and job.2) Is learning Spanish imperative before I go there or would I get by to some degree and learn while I'm there.I really would like a new challenge in life and Ecuador sounds like a very beautiful and safe country.Any advice would be much appreciated as I need some sort of reality check to know what I'm letting myself in for.

There are several permanent visas you can apply for. If you do not have a job waiting for you check out this site: http://cancilleria.gob.ec/requirements- … n/?lang=en

pensioners' visa requires a minimum monthly pension of $800
professional visa requires a college degree
Investment visa requires $25000 in a cd deposit or purchasing property with a tax value of at least $25,000.

Thank you for the reply.From what I have read on the site you suggested,I would need a contract of employment offered to me by a company In Ecuador before I could successfully apply for a visa.Thus being stated under contract or professional visa applications.Am I right in saying this or is there something I'm missing?

That is true as I understand also. Must have a job waiting or one of the other three options I listed.

Clowse wrote:

2) Is learning Spanish imperative before I go there or would I get by to some degree and learn while I'm there.

No, Spanish is not imperative (at least in some parts of Ecuador). You can learn while you are here which is what I am doing. However, in order to work here I would think Spanish would be imperative.

Thanks Mike.

Would you mind specifying which cities are cities where Spanish would not be a prerequisite, but could be learned as you go along.

I'm assuming Guayaquil and Cuenca would be on the list.

Would Quito be on that list of cities where you don't need Spanish too?

Pierre

Barbara,

You applaud me, but hope you're never in that position?

Thanks . . . I think?

Pierre

Hi All, we are just trying to get our bearings. We have been in cuenca for a whole day. We are from Houston,  TX.  I've read & heard many positive things about this basin city. I guess this is a 10- day test run for us.

Joe

Pierre Lee Tois wrote:

Thanks Mike.

Would you mind specifying which cities are cities where Spanish would not be a prerequisite, but could be learned as you go along.

I'm assuming Guayaquil and Cuenca would be on the list.

Pierre

Hi Pierre

It all depends on what you intend doing. Usually places like Montanita, Baños and other places that attracts many tourists and places with a large number of expats such as Cuenca and Quito has a high number of English speakers. In Guayaquil there are certain pockets of neighborhoods, middle to upper class where you find English speakers.  Outside of these places you will definitely require at the minimum a basic level of Spanish.

Pierre Lee Tois wrote:

Pierre

I am not an expert in this matter, but from what I have heard (including my own visits to Quito) yes you can include it on the list. But keep in mind there are many people in all of the cities you mentioned that do not know any English. So, conducting a business here would absolutely require a good command of Spanish.

I like the idea of compromise--that's all. Not meant to be anything but a personal comment. I do applaud a person who puts others first--something I have done and now am doing more of for myself.

Pierre:

I arrived in Quito with no knowledge of Spanish beyond what I recalled from a high scool class ~50 years ago, plus a bit of brush-up with Rosetta Stone. This was sufficient to allow me to ask such questions as, "Donde es el bano?" and give simple directions to taxi drivers: "Plaza Santo Domingo, por favor" (though if the driver responded with a follow-up question, I was in trouble).

This was good enough to get me by until my Spanish classes started to bear fruit. But I'd hate to have had to continue at that level for long.

Bob

Hello All,

Is there anyone in Cuenca that can tell me where a nice romantic restaurant is located. We are in El Centro, near the park. We have been here since Friday and visited many mercados and other sites within walking distance. We even ventured down by the river walk area up to Parque de Madre. If you have any suggestions about a nice restaurant please let me know.

Thanks

Joe

JoeB7806 wrote:

Hello All,

Is there anyone in Cuenca that can tell me where a nice romantic restaurant is located.

I do not recommend Donkey Dog on Hermano Miguel for a romantic dinner, but I have heard Los Faroles on the 9th floor  of the El Hotel Presidente isn´t bad.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-Faro … 1000165092

You might consider La Pergola (4 blocks north of Parque Calderon)
http://www.lapergolalounge.com/.  It has very good food for a reasonable price and a nice atmosphere.

The "La Esquina" is good as well. The meals appear quite expensive (roughly $25 per dish) however, those dishes are enough to feed two people unless you are extremely hungry. So, it ends up being a reasonable price. There are two restaurants of the same name. One is just south of Parque del Madre and the other is south of Parque Calderon on Calle Larga (Calle Larga y Hermano Miguel).

Another is "Zircus" (near the stadium which is close to Parque del Madre). The restaurant has a very stark surrounding(i.e., not much of a homey-feel) but it has very good food. A meal for two with wine costs roughly $48.

Another very good Italian restaurant is "Pappardelle" on Remigio Crespo near Augustin Cueva. Prices and food are good and it has a nice atmosphere.

'Is there anyone in Cuenca that can tell me where a nice romantic restaurant is located'

Hi JoeB

If you want romantic you should try a nice picnic along the banks of the river or otherwise visit Hotel Santa Lucia. Visit their site at santaluciahotel dot com to see if its what you have in mind.

Regards

Shawn

Dear All!
Hi and thank you for this wonderful forum. My Brother and I, are moving shortly (10th of December) to Ecuador, with the intention of staying permanently (or until life guides us in other direction). I have cycled through Colombia and Ecuador about a year ago till I reached Ayampe, a small village just twenty minutes north from Montanita, the famous surfing resort, and I decided I want to stay. Since then a lot had happen. I moved to the states for a couple of month to work with a friend of mine who has special needs. I went to Israel, the country where I was born, in the time of war. I gained some experience in the restaurant business and worked as a barista in one of Tel Aviv's best coffee places. Now I am more then ready to come back and accomplish my dream, of opening my own Cafe in a surf resort.
My brother decided to join me and we are both very excited.
Since we are new to the business and also dont have much experience with immigration we will welcome any kind of help in the form of suggestions and information. We would also be happy to meet other Expatriates who live in the area of Guayaquil and make some new connections. We are both very enthusiastic about our plan and we hope to start creating very soon.

blessings to All!
Roey and Alon (the Klein Brothers)

Roeyklein wrote:

dont have much experience with immigration we will welcome any kind of help in the form of suggestions and information.

Klein Brothers,

You are picking a great time to open a surf-city emporium.  All signs say that the Ecuador coast is in for boom years in the coming time.

As for information on immigration:

The Ministry ("cancilleria") of Foreign Affairs now offers an English-language option on its Visa Info website page:

cancilleria.gob.ec

Good Luck with your (ad)ventures.   Masel Tov.

Welcome Roeyklein

That certainly is a great part of the coast, I'm sure your business will be a success!  I currently live in Urdesa Central, Guayaquil. When I arrived I had someone, an economist from ESPOL, the local university help me with my VISA and with setting up my business....I am currently writing a blog about the process which should be online by the end of this week, but you could email me at [email protected] or send me a private message and I can put you in touch with her.   There is a new electronic system for starting up a business in Ecuador, visit:   http://www.supercias.gob.ec/, but they are currently experiencing problems with their software and you will still need to physically visit a lawyer and notary along the way. Its a rather complicated and relatively expensive exercise which I have found rather frustrating.     Let me know when you arrive in Guayaquil so that we can meet up for a coffee and a chat. or drop me an email.

Best wishes

Shawn

Thank you both!

We will look into it!
Shawn, Ill send you an email with some more details, and for sure we should meet for a coffee in Guayaquil.

Hi my name is john from UK . Iam be thinking of going to live in Ecuador or  Belize.  To   explore new small business opportunities.
I can see you're  thinking of set up a business . 
Do you have idea which country  would have   a better  opportunity. ..?
I dont known  yet what business  to go for..

My name is shirley black american 51 and my friend Erika who is 28 Philippian but us citizen who I consider as a daughter..

We both work dead end grueling jobs an we decid d to move to Ecuador in April to have a better life plus in  17 yrs I will collect hopefully if its still around social security to live OK in Ecuador

In the meantime we were thinking about teaching English for it seems to be easier to get a job teaching English with no degree.

I would like to find friends on here who can assist us on which way they think we can go ..how much money realistic do we need to sustain us until we are able to find work..

We hope to meet friends an have lasting relationships.

Hi thanks for. Your replay. . My name Is. John.  From UK.  And  would.  Like. To have friends.  I have being thinking of going to live. In. ECUDOR. OR. PANAMA or   CHILE.   But. I don't know. Where  would be the better place   do you know off those countries. .

If you don't main I would like to be your friend. .please keep in touch. I would like to ask. Why. Ecuador. And. Not. Chile,  or Panama???

Many thanks for the tip. I´ll check out the location.

Joe

Nards,

What about "Marc's" restaurant on Luis Cordero? Have you heard anything good or bad?

Joe

I don't know if your talking to me ..but I will respond just in case :)...if u are...yes we can keep in touch....amerika68@hotmail .com..,.secondly is cheap nice ppl and I don't have much money an I would like a change..I have a 28 yr old buddy I call my friend but she is more like a daughter finding her way in life coming also..I hope to try something new different in work like business if i can get a willing soul to teach me....or hire me...

Yes was with u  my msn..  yes I would like to talk and be friend with you. My. Email. Is [email protected].. Iam thinking of moving to Ecuador. By February next year..  I would like to find some work.  Or tu open a caffe....but  iam. Not sure. If. CHILE OR PANAMA IS  BETTER. What do you  think? ?

JoeB7806 wrote:

Nards,

What about "Marc's" restaurant on Luis Cordero? Have you heard anything good or bad?

Joe

Hey Joe, I think you might have better luck getting restaurant reviews on Nards' Cuenca thread.  This is the New Members Introduce Yourself thread.

Shirl:

I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but I'm going to take on that role. I think you may have to reconsider your plans regarding Ecuador -- it may not be as welcoming to you and your friend as you hope.

I've read your various posts, and it seems like you are planning to work in Ecuador, and you have specifically mentioned possibly teaching English, but mention you don't have a degree. I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that a degree is required.

You may have a problem with getting any kind of a job there. You cannot work on a tourist visa. The two types of visa (that I know of -- again, perhaps others can add to this list) that allow working are professional visas and investment visas.

Professional visas require that you have a skill that is in demand in Ecuador and that wouldn't involve taking a job away from an Ecuadorian. Perhaps you or your friend have such a skill, but you haven't mentioned it. I think this visa also may require a degree (certainly it would require some form of proof that you have the desired skill).

Investor's visas require  that you invest $25k in something (usually a CD or real estate). From your comment that you have enough savings to live on for six months, I'm guessing you couldn't meet this requirement.

As I said, I don't like delivering bad news, and it's quite possible I'm wrong about this (if so, I'm sure others more knowledgeable will correct me). But I hate to see someone go too far with plans that won't work out.

Regardless -- best of luck with whatever you do.

Bob

shirl51 wrote:

My name is shirley black american 51 and my friend Erika who is 28 (and Filipina) who I consider as a daughter...how much money realistic do we need to sustain us until we are able to find work..

Well, Shirl, y'all can get a decent apartment here in the capital for $300-some dollars a month rent.  A furnished apartment in a nice neighborhood would be higher.

Wildcard factors that expat-blog posters can't predict because we don't know much about you:  groceries, restaurants, health and medical needs including insurance, entertainment, aguardiente.

Budgets I've seen online from a variety of Expats show that for between
$800 and $1,500 a month per person, including rent, many are living comfortably.  (The lower figure is for a person who is part of a couple, as you are.)  That's a wide range, but there are a lot of variables.

Note to expat-bloggers:  I am aware some folks spend way less and some way more, and that native Ecuadorians immune from Gringo pricing can live inexpensively.  One poster on this blog said she had a friend living out in the country with a garden who spent $100 a month, though that was never confirmed.

If you decide to stay and work, government visa fees for residents are $350 per person, and that does not include a variety of incidentals such as notary, translations, etc.  If you're serious about Ecuador, you'll want to get done as much of the required paper gathering and apostilling as possible before you vacate Richmond, because doin' that stuff from Ecuador draws out the process "considerable."

cccmedia, Quito

BobH wrote:

Shirl:

I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but I'm going to take on that role. I think you may have to reconsider your plans regarding Ecuador -- it may not be as welcoming to you and your friend as you hope.

I've read your various posts, and it seems like you are planning to work in Ecuador, and you have specifically mentioned possibly teaching English, but mention you don't have a degree. I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that a degree is required.

You may have a problem with getting any kind of a job there. You cannot work on a tourist visa. The two types of visa (that I know of -- again, perhaps others can add to this list) that allow working are professional visas and investment visas.

Professional visas require that you have a skill that is in demand in Ecuador and that wouldn't involve taking a job away from an Ecuadorian. Perhaps you or your friend have such a skill, but you haven't mentioned it. I think this visa also may require a degree (certainly it would require some form of proof that you have the desired skill).

Investor's visas require  that you invest $25k in something (usually a CD or real estate). From your comment that you have enough savings to live on for six months, I'm guessing you couldn't meet this requirement.

As I said, I don't like delivering bad news, and it's quite possible I'm wrong about this (if so, I'm sure others more knowledgeable will correct me). But I hate to see someone go too far with plans that won't work out.

Regardless -- best of luck with whatever you do.

Bob

Unfortunately you are right on all counts Bob. You need at least a Masters to qualify for the 'scarce skills Visa', $250k to invest or start a business, or have a close relative such as an Ecuadorian child to qualify for any of the work Visas here.

BobH wrote:

Shirl,

Not a university degree, but some of the better schools will require TEFL certification.  That can be achieved in a matter of weeks in the U.S. or Ecuador, or even online.

Visa considerations may come into play;  the way around that is to get a sponsoring school (your prospective employer) to assist you.  Some folks have succeeded in this ('cause some folks are good at this kinda game).   

As always, YMMV.

Thk u for your insite..I plan on taking a TEFL course there an then be placed at a school an no I don't need a degree not all schools require one.

Thk u..that's the plan

shirl51 wrote:

We both work dead end grueling jobs an we decided to move to Ecuador in April to have a better life....We hope to meet friends an have lasting relationships.

Good for you, Shirl, for not settling on a dead-end situation, and for the determination you've shown us in the face of some cautionary statistics being thrown your way.

Sure, you could run into roadblocks in this quest, but you're tapping deeply into your life's spirit to create a better future.  More power to ya'.

I think just because a person speaks English doesn't make them qualified and the times they are a changing here. It is much better if you have some formal training--teaching is not that easy .It,s not like China or Korea where if you are alive and breathing and speak English --you have a pretty good chance of getting hired.

Closed