Phonological differences between Arabic and English

Let us discuss sounds of Arabic and English in a comparative perspective.

irbazkhan wrote:

Hmmm....   Seems that Phonetics junkies aren't active blog participants.

Might have been an interesting topic.  Might have been...

R

Rigger64 wrote:
irbazkhan wrote:

Hmmm....   Seems that Phonetics junkies aren't active blog participants.

Might have been an interesting topic.  Might have been...

R

Irbazkhan,

On second thought, I do have a question for you.  Your languages are listed as English, Urdu, Punjabi, Saraiki.  As a non-Arabic speaker (but hoping to pick up at least some conversation Arabic), I've been trying to explain to my daughter that although Arabic does have it's own alphabet, the sounds associated with the "letters" are not the same phonetically as English letters.  We got into a great conversation when discussing the Cyrillic alphabet watching the Olympics.  I know a little Russian but not enough to claim any fluency.

Can you give me your input on an easier way to present this subject to her.  She's 8 now and will be joining me in Jeddah over the summer.

Thanks for your input.

Rigger

Please tell me about urself... i am an English teacher from Pakistan living in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. I have done MS in Applied Linguistics.

Rigger I wish you luck in helping your daughter. My 4 year olds teacher has taken mercy on me and her Arabic homework as she translates the directions into English and if she has to read the letter sounds she writes the sounds equivalent in English for me.

I am able to help write and recognize the numbers, but not name them so often I must rely on what a 4 year old tells me, but so far so good in school.

I also rely on another parent at times to help me know how to help my daughter. I would definitely ask a neighbor if they are willing to help once school starts. Keep in mind depending on her school will also depend on how intense her Arabic studies are. My daughter is at Dar Jana which is an Arabic school, where as friends who have children at Jeddah Prep and are the same age as your child have yet to have Arabic homework this year.