you can get a permanent visa?

Are you outside Brazil right now?

I'm ouside in Brazil now
But i hope to get my visa in February.
But i need to know
ourist visa expired
and that you marry a Brazilian
you can get a permanent visa?

Once you get married you are eligible to apply for a permanent visa.

Just remember that getting married here in Brazil is a process that is very bureaucratic and time consuming for foreigners, so you should have all of the documents ready when you come to this country. If you run into delays you could end up running out of time on your visa.

See the following postings on the subject:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525

What would be the quick information link for getting married outside of Brazil and getting the VISA at a Brazilian consulate? Thanks and cheers!

If your partner can travel to Paraguay, or if you have the funds to pay a Brazilian lawyer enough to arrange one, Marriage by Proxy is legal in Paraguay and can be celebrated if the bride, or groom or both are unable to be present.

In legal terms the marriage is recognized in Brazil and almost every other nation under the legal principle of comity (even if the marriage cannot be performed under the laws of a nation that would be required to recognize it).

If you need to go through a lawyer to arrange everything you're going to look at somewhere in excess of USD $10,000. If your partner is free to travel then she could go to Paraguay make all the arrangements herself and it would be much cheaper. Of course you'd need to find out exactly what documents you would both require in order to marry legally there.

Once the marriage was celebrated and the Marriage Certificate issued, I would presume it would be exactly the same process as for recognition of a foreign marriage in Brazll, you'd need to submit a notarized copy of the Marriage Certificate, all identification documents of the nubiants, etc., along with the applicable fees to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Paraguay and request recognition. The Consulado-Geral would then issue a new Marriage Certificate on the Consular Cartório which is legal in Brazil. With that you could then apply immediately for Permanência Definitiva com base em cônjuge brasileira.

I understand too that there are a number of companies that facilitate Marriage by Proxy in Paraguay too, you can probably find something on Google.

For more information on Marriage by Proxy see the following:

http://proxymarriagecenter.com/

Is there a solution that is easier, costs less than $2,000, and can be done in the United States?

If your partner is going there with you, yes! You can get married there and have your Marriage Certificate recognized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the USA. Once that's done you come back to Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa or any other kind of visa you can get and then apply for your VIPER once you get into the country. If you're going back there anyway even if you factor in the airfare for your partner that should all be somewhere in you budgeted figure.

Contact usmc_mv and he will let you know what kind of visa your partner would need in order to get married without any hassles in the USA.

Very good sir. I will check with that guy about VISAs in the US.

My wife got married on a tourist visa. It has been said by some to be a problem, but it is only a problem if she did it and then tried to get a green card. We had no problems what so ever.

If you marry in the USA on a tourist visa it can result in being banned from re-entering the USA for five years. You must declare to INS that you entered the USA with no prior intention of marrying. In this case that would be virtually impossible. At any rate the INS views all marriages as "marriages of convenience" just to get a Green Card. If Tiger doesn't intend to go back to the USA to visit, accompanied by his wife, during the next five years then it is no big problem. They can get married on a tourist visa. However if he would want her to come back with him for visits, they would require a different visa.... not sure off the top of my head but I think it's a K1 or K2 visa.

Can a person apply for marriege with expired student visa? If he/she get a marriage certificate, while his/her expired student visa is expired, he/she can apply for a permanant visa??

In order to apply for permission to marry (habilitação de casamento) for foreigners your visa must be valid. You will need to produce to the Cartório, both your passport and visa among the other documents required. So no, you can't marry on an expired visa of any kind.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team