What's the Myth about Buying Real Estate in Malapoa

Hi Locals in Vila, we've visited a couple of times and are really interested in purchasing a property and making Vanuatu our new home.

We hear that Real Estate in the suburb of Malapoa is on a decline yet others say Real Estate is at the bottom of the cycle. I can't understand why Malapoa is so cheap.

What's the myth?
Is it worth looking at this area?

Top road malapoa would be ok as you pay for security but apparently houses are broken into in malapoa area, we lived there for about 5 months rented a property on top road and paid security to look after it, I suppose if you had a kick ass guard dog it may be ok????

Hey Thanks for that info dayna and dave, Kick ass dog...hmmm wonder what breed is that. :)There were a couple of house for sale on C&K website but in a matter of a week one has sold already..The price was real cheap (although they did need a lot of work)

We had a huge German shepherd that we bought over plus our other 3 dogs the locals were very afraid of the German shepherd but they would also tease him behind a fence. I am surprised that the house in malapoa sold quickly nothing seems to go quick in vanuatu,

Malapoa has a crime issue that won't go fast. Spend the money on good security.
Beware of the real estate agents, some are worse than the thieves. They come out of the same gutter. Most properties are overpriced by 20%. I know of some new comers have offered 50% and got it, so negotiate. Stay the course. (smile)
I recommend renting in Port Vila for 3 months and get street wise. Talk to other expats and get referals of honest people.

Just joined the blog to gain any information or insight into moving to Vila from East Coast Australia.
Coming over again in April for 2 weeks to look at Real Estate, Rentals, business / employment opportunities. Open up a bank account etc etc etc to make the necessary steps to move to a beautiful slice of heaven.
Currently a property in Malapoa that looks to good to be true ???
Looking forward to walking the streets and hopefully running into some expats to pick their brains about Port Vila.

I agree with allan&maggs, get a short term lease and spend your time getting to know the local areas.  Talk to lots of people and view lots of properties at different times of day and night.
We originally rented and then bought in a completely different area.