Moving to Vanuatu

Hi, Kerrie from Australia here, my family and I have been to Vanuatu 11 times in the last 11 years and we love it so very much. We have never had any problems with crime or being harassed . I  have been looking at houses there to buy as we would like to live there. The houses seem very cheap and I was beginning to wonder why until I met a man who lived in port Vila for two years doing security.He said that we would be crazy to move there because there are so many murders and rapes and the police are very limited with resources also he said that corruption is out of control. We were only witness to the taxi war or mafia as I call it, when we caught a bus at hide away to go back to the holiday inn ,and there was some arguing amongst the taxi and bus drivers there, and we were dropped of in town as the driver said he could not drop us off at the resort as the other drivers would kill him and he was very scared. There are far to many taxis and buses there so I suppose this was always going to happen. So can any one give me advise on buying a house there?. Where are the safest places to buy a house? should I even consider living there? any advise would be great, thanks, Kerrie.

Hi, I have currently been residing in Port Vila, Vanuatu for almost 3 years. I have never experienced any violence, crime or any issues. There are many Expats who live here and love it. I am sure there are issues, as with any country. Yet, meet others who live here, maybe rent for awhile to find out what area you like and then find a reputable real estate agent to assist you in purchasing property when you decide where you want to live.
Kind regards

Hi Kerrie. We have been going to Vanuatu for many years and have recently finished building a holiday house in Bukura. We have not experienced  any problems. There are issues as mentioned above and be vigilant for petty theft. Definitely choose your real estate agent carefully. We went through CK who were excellent. Also choose your solicitor carefully. Best wishes LL