Sugar

Just something to watch for. Due to medical concerns, I always add equal to my caphe da. I was surprised to see my gf adding sugar and equal to my caphe da. Then watching her cook, she added sugar to everything. Wow, tried explaining through google translate why I prefer no sugar.  She said the sugar is for my health.  Knowing her, she will just continue adding the sugar no matter what I say.

Choose your poison, sugar or salt (fish sauce alone contains 1,600 mg of sodium per  tsp). The health profession in the USA recommends no more than 100 mg a day, I believe it is. So you can reach full stroke potential in a very short time. I was amazed at how much of these two products they out in everything. My GF, is young, but already has hypertension and a BP that is out of this world for her age. Try and get her to take an aspirin a day to ward off a stroke...no way...chemical poison. You bet, go get your salt and sugar poison dear.

Ancient,
  See what you did? You did not do the spellcheck and grammar check and the police came and closed the thread for further investigation!:lol::lol:

Sugar kills more than Smokes, yet WHO chose to fight Smokes first! WHY?

Most of the sugar used here is fructose, not sucrose.  It's nowhere near as harmful.  I don't use it, I can't stand sweet drinks. 

But you can use sugar and salt in moderation.  Cigarettes are savagely addicting, one of the most addicting vices there is, 90% of people who smoke two (2) cigarettes go on to become addicts, and a third of them die from illnesses rustling from it.   That cigarettes are legal in spite of this is a savage indictment of economic systems and the concept of profit.

Could have something to do with pregnancy? You're not allowed any fake sugar (hence the strict ban on diet soda) Maybe that makes her think it's always poison!

Motor Vehicles kill more than Smokes or Sugar. But of course, if driven in moderation and with care, it is a non addictive necessity!

hELLnoi wrote:

Motor Vehicles kill more than Smokes or Sugar. But of course, if driven in moderation and with care, it is a non addictive necessity!

False.

In the USA smoking kills 450,000 people per year.  Car accidents kills less than 1/20 of that.  Accidents in VN kill  about the same number of people, I don't have the state on smoking deaths here but between the lower population and the stunning prevalence of smoking among men, I bet it's well into six figures too.

And even aside from the lethality, I think there is something deeply immoral about marketing an addicting product.  It's enslavement.  But they are lethal, and I think they should be banned.

By the way, everyone here eats rice, rice is pretty much pure carbohydrate.  It may not sweeten coffee but it hydrolyzes to the same thing as sugar.  If you're diabetic (I am, but just barely) you shouldn't eat much of it.  I eat like one chến per day and lots of veggies and fish to bulk it out.

ancientpathos wrote:

... Wow, tried explaining through google translate why I prefer no sugar.  She said the sugar is for my health.  Knowing her, she will just continue adding the sugar no matter what I say.

Why didn't you counter "NO sugar is for MY health"?  Tell her you're a diabetic and will die if you eat too much sugar.  She is KILLING you.  That should stop it....or maybe she wants to kill you slowwwwwww ly.  :P

Chrisfox,
  I wonder why the food industry puts sugar in just about every product!! It might be that Coca-Cola
realized just what was needed to get people hooked…cocaine… then they found a legal substitute.
So now we have the ubiquitous SUGAR.

ChrisFox wrote:

...I eat like one chến per day ...

Spelled wrong.  If you mean the small one-handed bowl, it's chén without the hat.

http://www.trongtinasia.com/product-detail.aspx?id=483

I can see why a couple of you guys don't need that extra "rush" that sugar gives you! Jus sayn :whistle:

THD gets his sugar rush the cheap way. Heck, all the folks on here wanting to learn VNeses (spelled wrong THD) can just follow THD's inputs. I only wish I knew VNese as well as he does though.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

Spelled wrong.  If you mean the small one-handed bowl, it's chén without the hat.

Spelt wrongly  :whistle:

Thanks for correction.  I actually wrote it right the first time, the iPad changed it to chiến, and i erased the i ... They call it autocorrect but I call it autocorrupt.

if I'm not mistaken, "spelt" is Commonwealth, like "colour."

THD,
   Do you have a VNese significant other? Have you ever tried explaining anything like "NO sugar It is for MY health". If so tell me how to explain some simple things like I don't need to pee because my kidney is full, but because my bladder is full. Anatomy and health is not taught well, if at all in developing countries. Try to explain the reason why it is safe to give blood in a developing country.
Tell me the last time you saw a blood bank here. Come to think of it "logic" is not in their vocabulary. So good luck Ancient, she is trying to kill you slowwwwwwly.

ChrisFox wrote:

Thanks for correction.  I actually wrote it right the first time, the iPad changed it to chiến, and i erased the i ... They call it autocorrect but I call it autocorrupt.

if I'm not mistaken, "spelt" is Commonwealth, like "colour."

incorrect.
spelt = past tense of spell
spelled as witches cast over snow white

ancientpathos wrote:

... I was surprised to see my gf adding sugar and equal to my caphe da. Then watching her cook, she added sugar to everything...

Should notice that this is the way of Vietnamese cooking.

For the nothern people (from Ha Tinh Province up to the north), people usually put MSG into daily dishes while southern people (from Hue Province up to the south), people usually add sugar.

Not sure which region your gf comes from but likely southern people.  You should tell her that suger is not good for your health due to medical treatment.  Otherwise, ask her to buy this kind of sugar ("corn sugar" as the below pic) for you - easy to find - I guess.

http://static10.ichodientuvn.com/pict/items_g/item.07_2012/large_07_2012_b336cd88db255dac5b407a2b9c5b08c6.gif

My first job at Microsoft in 1989 they gave out free pop, juice, coffee, etc.  Surrounded by 350 pound guys with horrible complexions, and starting to get headaches from the stuff, I stopped drinking it.  Now I can't stand it.  I'd rather be thirsty than drink pop. 

In the USA in Vietnamese restaurants people wash down this terrifically healthy food with the most ghastly orange pop you ever tasted.  What a contradiction.

I looked it up.

Spelled or spelt are both correct past tenses, irrespective or region.

What's the plural of octopus?

Sugar is highly addictive and kills 3 times as many people per year as smoking.

Depends on your point of view I guess Greek origin octopods, Latin octopi, or the standard plural octopuses.

Parmyd,
   Spot on! Perhaps the most addictive COMMONLY used substance on earth. Once your blood sugar drops below 110 you need another fix. This is what causes are craving for food as well..the blood sugar dropping below 110 that is.

I'd demand corroboration but since you're the guy who claimed that the American middle class is doing better and called the opposite fact "liberal propaganda" I know better than to bother.

And you need to learn what addiction means.  You may as well say water is addictive.

hELLnoi wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

Spelled correctly :P  I'm American, not British (where you probably learned your English from). 

http://grammarist.com/spelling/spelled-spelt/

In American English, spelt primarily refers to the hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe, and the verb spell makes spelled in the past tense and as a past participle. In all other main varieties of English, spelt and spelled both work as the past tense and past participle of spell, at least where spell means to form words letter by letter or (with out) to make clear. Outside the U.S., the two forms are interchangeable in these uses, and both are common.

I rember a story about aspartamine( sweetner)  where it turn into formadahyde at normal body temp, never touch the stuff, check out www.mercola.com

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Spelled correctly :P  I'm American, not British (where you probably learned your English from). 

http://grammarist.com/spelling/spelled-spelt/

In American English, spelt primarily refers to the hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe, and the verb spell makes spelled in the past tense and as a past participle. In all other main varieties of English, spelt and spelled both work as the past tense and past participle of spell, at least where spell means to form words letter by letter or (with out) to make clear. Outside the U.S., the two forms are interchangeable in these uses, and both are common.

great.. it is STILL called... English    :idontagree:

Mark,
  True! When I learned that, my constipation problems where gone overnight. They say it also kills beneficial gut bacteria, not to mention it is toxic to the brain. Most civilized nations have banned it.
Sans one, and now you don't even have to put the fact that aspartame is in product. That sacred me even more. Now it is very difficult to determine if you are ingesting it.

bta87 wrote:

Ancient,
  See what you did? You did not do the spellcheck and grammar check and the police came and closed the thread for further investigation!:lol::lol:

Investigation, it's that missing spell check button. It will be closed until it turns up. LoL...

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

... Wow, tried explaining through google translate why I prefer no sugar.  She said the sugar is for my health.  Knowing her, she will just continue adding the sugar no matter what I say.

Why didn't you counter "NO sugar is for MY health"?  Tell her you're a diabetic and will die if you eat too much sugar.  She is KILLING you.  That should stop it....or maybe she wants to kill you slowwwwwww ly.  :P

I am pretty sure if she wanted to kill me it would  be a crime of passion. But passion is the way to go...lol

Ancient,
  Now you've gone and done it. The sugar has caused you to become delusional…..you…passion.
Now we are really stretching things. Get off the sugar NOW. Before you know it you will be convinced she loves you.

ancientpathos wrote:

Just something to watch for. Due to medical concerns, I always add equal to my caphe da. I was surprised to see my gf adding sugar and equal to my caphe da. Then watching her cook, she added sugar to everything. Wow, tried explaining through google translate why I prefer no sugar.  She said the sugar is for my health.  Knowing her, she will just continue adding the sugar no matter what I say.

I can't drink Vietnamese ice coffee without the condensed milk. It tastes yucky to me. My mom also puts sugar in the food when she cooks. She is from the south and most southerners put sugar in their cooking. I put sugar in my cooking, and some wine, and some beer. :lol:

Funny timing.  I bought my morning coffee last night and they must have ignored the không đường part, it had sugar, now I feel absolutely awful.  I think they used sucrose.  Ugh.

MIA,
   No wonder you slur your words!:lol: That is why cooking is so much fun, it is not really the cooking, but the drinking. Yet at my house in HCM she puts sugar in everything. So I don't know if it is a North/South thing.

aibiet150204 wrote:

For the nothern people (from Ha Tinh Province up to the north), people usually put MSG into daily dishes while southern people (from Hue Province up to the south), people usually add sugar.

How far south are you talking about? My family is down past Tra Vinh. They seem to use lots of msg, and sugar.

I don't know how the rules are applied. But go to the Metro supermarket in HCMC and they have both sugar and MSG stacked to the ceiling. Surely someone uses it. I see people hauling both out in bundles. Perhaps the borderline between is blurred now and everyone is using.

cth wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:

How far south are you talking about? My family is down past Tra Vinh. They seem to use lots of msg, and sugar.

Up to Can Tho/Ca Mau/ Kien Giang! I bet they use sugar more than msg in Tra Vinh :)

I'm confused. What is the connection between sugar and MSG in food. It sounds if some feel it is a substitute. That is in one region they use sugar to sweeten and in others they MSG to sweeten. MSG is a nuro-toxin. It does nothing for food. It does not sweeten, it simply alters how your mind works.

Closed