Criminal background check for teaching

Hey guys,

Regarding a criminal background check for teaching, are there any specific forms or level - state, federal?

Thanks.

Just go to your local police station and get one from there.

Teachers in the states submit a finger print card and a FBI background check is done.  Vietnam does not require that kind of check.  Just go to your city police records and ask for a criminal arrest report.  Mine cost $5, it is a 1 page paper that is stamped with no record found.

Thank you.

ancientpathos wrote:

Teachers in the states submit a finger print card and a FBI background check is done.  Vietnam does not require that kind of check.  Just go to your city police records and ask for a criminal arrest report.  Mine cost $5, it is a 1 page paper that is stamped with no record found.

What's the procedure/paperwork called in Vietnamese?  And would you know the form number of the paper?  It'll be easier if someone walks in a police station with the form (or asks the form) and fill it out right there at the station.  Then the cops know what the Expat is asking for without a need to flap/wave hands/sign language or shout "CAN YOU GET ME A CRIMINAL ARREST RECORD OF MYSELF?"

criminal arrest report = báo cáo bắt giữ tội phạm  ?

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

What's the procedure/paperwork called in Vietnamese?  And would you know the form number of the paper?  It'll be easier if someone walks in a police station with the form (or asks the form) and fill it out right there at the station.  Then the cops know what the Expat is asking for without a need to flap/wave hands/sign language or shout "CAN YOU GET ME A CRIMINAL ARREST RECORD OF MYSELF?"

criminal arrest report = báo cáo bắt giữ tội phạm  ?

Criminal arrest report = lý lịch tư pháp (Criminal report, in short)

If you leave in Vietnam more than 6 months, you can ask provincial Department of Justice to issue such report for you. If you get the report from another country, such report must be legalised.

Please give me ur cell number I wanna discuss regarding TRC

Get a family member to send you from back home.
No hassle.

aibiet150204 wrote:

If you leave in Vietnam more than 6 months, you can ask provincial Department of Justice to issue such report for you. If you get the report from another country, such report must be legalised.

Thanks.  I will now go to China and ask them for a lý lịch tư pháp.  :P  (That's me making fun of you recommending that I go to another country when I only asked what it's called in Vietnamese.)

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:

Thanks.  I will now go to China and ask them for a lý lịch tư pháp.  :P  (That's me making fun of you recommending that I go to another country when I only asked what it's called in Vietnamese.)

Where's that come from the part I recommend you to go to another country to have criminal report?!? Ahhhhhhh. Was my English that bad?!? :|:|:| I said that if you get the report from another country outside Vietnam (as if you have not been in Vietnam long enough in order to get the criminal report from the provincial department of justice...), so you have to get such report legalised!!! Ahhhhhhhh

aibiet150204 wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:

Where's that come from the part I recommend you to go to another country to have criminal report?!? Ahhhhhhh. Was my English that bad?!? :|:|:| I said that if you get the report from another country outside Vietnam (as if you have not been in Vietnam long enough in order to get the criminal report from the provincial department of justice...), so you have to get such report legalised!!! Ahhhhhhhh

Well, lets think about this a moment.  If I needed to get a criminal report in China, would I have asked what it's called in Chinese?  Likewise, if I needed a criminal report from Thailand, would I be asking what it's called in Thai?  But since I'm from the USA, why would I be asking what a "criminal arrest report" be called in Vietnamese if I needed it from the States?  I'm actually giving you a hard time...like how guys give each other hard times out of fun. 

Since I have "lived" (not "leave") in Việt Nam for over 6 months, I wanted to know what to ask for when I go to the police station; now I know to ask for a "lý lịch tư pháp của tôi". I don't need the information regarding other countries.   

This new WP requirement is getting me a wee bit anxious; Since I do volunteer work, I do want to chase this down as to not give anyone an excuse to kick me out of the country.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Well, lets think about this a moment.  If I needed to get a criminal report in China, would I have asked what it's called in Chinese?  Likewise, if I needed a criminal report from Thailand, would I be asking what it's called in Thai?  But since I'm from the USA, why would I be asking what a "criminal arrest report" be called in Vietnamese if I needed it from the States?  I'm actually giving you a hard time...like how guys give each other hard times out of fun. 

Since I have "lived" (not "leave") in Việt Nam for over 6 months, I wanted to know what to ask for when I go to the police station; now I know to ask for a "lý lịch tư pháp của tôi". I don't need the information regarding other countries.   

This new WP requirement is getting me a wee bit anxious; Since I do volunteer work, I do want to chase this down as to not give anyone an excuse to kick me out of the country.

shhhhhhh, okay, my English was that baddddd, but you got the idea anyway :lol::lol::lol:

I looked into this last year and I was left with the impression:

a)  If you lived in Vietnam for the previous 6 months you can get the criminal background check from local police

or

b)  If you fall into certain specified exemptions you don't need a work permit at all (i.e. you create an LLC in Vietnam)

or

c)  If the above doesn't apply you must get an "official" criminal background check from the local/state police in your home country

As of last year, the only way to get an official criminal record check from my "local police" (state police) in the United States was to show up in person to be fingerprinted by their people. 

I'm curious to hear from anyone that's done this within the past few months.