More Violent Protests - Has the country fallen into anarchy?

http://p1-cdn.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/1876/1407/0/60/619/464/images.terra.com/2013/10/20/repre-rj-rio-exercito-hotel-windsor-seguranca-leilao-pre-sal-2010-tania-rego-abr.jpg Brazil has experienced several months of violent public protests the likes of which haven't been seen here in decades.

This begs the question, "Has the government completely lost control and has the country slipped into anarchy?"

It seems now that absolutely every perceived wrong, whether it is based in fact or not, is the justification for yet another violent protest, confrontations between protesters and police, mass acts of vandalism and destruction.

It is beginning to appear that the government has completely lost control and is no longer capable of ensuring public safety. The rule of law has fallen into absolute chaos, laws are being ignored and in most cases not even being enforced. Brazilians have the strangest way of protesting that I've ever seen in my entire life. It's like watching someone shoot themselves in the foot most of the time. They destroy public and private property, that they themselves depend on and use, with absolutely no rhyme or reason.

Vandalizing banks, burning much needed buses, burning private passenger cars serves what logical purpose? If there is one I certainly can't figure it out. None of these have any link with the situation they're supposedly protesting against. It's as if the whole country has slipped into a state of collective insanity and simply can't control their own actions.

They certainly can't seem to think for themselves anymore. There's a group mentality that is being fed by accusations and rumors spread on the internet, which have been the cause of protests even in the complete absence of proof that a problem even exists. A prime example of this is the invasion of a laboratory, the theft of 178 beagles (supposedly a "rescue"), destruction of the facility's equipment all because of the rumored mistreatment of the animals used in pharmaceutical lab testing. Even the photos that they themselves took during the so-called "rescue" clearly show healthy animals that are undoubtedly well fed, tails wagging, bright coats and a gleam in their eyes. It sure doesn't look like animal abuse to me; and I'm against that as much as anyone. Even the government watchdog agency responsible has clearly stated that no abusive practices have been taking place. The protest's organizer said that things somehow just got out of control, the group was infiltrated by vandals calling themselves the "Black Block" and that the protesters weren't responsible for what transpired. What the heck did she expect was going to happen? Sorry, "It's not my fault" just doesn't cut it... she should be personally held criminally and civilly responsible for everything to my way of thinking.

Now another protest is set to cause mass disruption in Rio de Janeiro because of the government's plan to auction off the Libra deep-sea oil reserve. The plan is to allow a private petroleum company or group of companies do the work, extract the oil and gas and share it with the Brazilian government. In other words, the government would be laying it's hands on vast amounts of gas and oil without doing any work at all. All sounds pretty reasonable to me, but not to Brazilians obviously.

I am beginning to think that Brazil is on the very brink of complete social collapse. Government seems impotent, anarchy seems to be spreading like wildfire and all powers of reason has seemingly gone into a deep state of hibernation. Looks like we're all in for a very rough roller coaster ride that will last for quite some time.

A warning to all expats, no matter where you may be in Brazil. It is clear that the Brazilian government is incapable of ensuring OUR safety, so we must take all reasonable measures to protect ourselves. Stay away from any areas where there may be demonstrations or even the threat of one. Be extra vigilant in everything you do. You have nobody to count on but yourself.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

The one good thing about these protests is the United States Dollar becomes more valuable as the world looses confidence in the Brazilian government and sadly the Brazilian people in the end.

I truly do not think this country is prepared to host the world for both the WORLD CUP and the OLYMPICS. A lot of people will disagree with me. However, I will defend myself with this - How can Brazil host the world and ensure the safety of foreigners if it can't even control its own population? I am sincerely interested in listening to anyones rebuttal.

I can not stress this enough - DO NOT even consider moving here until you have spent a cumulative of 30 days here, read all the forum posts about procedures and listen to other peoples stories. I can't say it would have influenced my decision but I will say if the United States had announced the same visa procedures are now in affect for same-sex couples a month before I left instead of two days, I probably would not be in the country right now.

The bureaucracy is hidden to the average tourist - you have to be here for so long before you begin to suffer its affects. After all, who would want to come here if they had to deal with bureaucracy on a vacation/holiday??

I have also noticed these protests are starting to become social gatherings and an excuse to miss work and party. Another words they are losing their meaning - and obviously the MILITARY Police are not capable of controlling the hooligans in the streets.

God help us all.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

I kind of agree with you, I really don't think Brazil is prepared to handle or host events on such an international scale as the World Cup or 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

I think however that the die has already been cast, unless something extreme happens it looks like these events will go ahead as planned. Brazil and it's government appears to be hoping that they will somehow manage to muddle through like they've always done in the past.

I think that the World Cup will set the stage, if something really goes wrong then the IOC might decide to pull the games, but who knows. No matter what happens I think that Brazil is going to take a major hit to its international reputation and image. It's just one big joke right now.

I know that if I were on the Canada Olympic Committee I'd really have second thoughts about sending Canadian athletes here because of the inability to offer security to the average citizen let alone visiting athletes and tourists.

If the IOC pulled the Olympics here, I wouldn't want to see the peoples response in the streets. After all the misuse of funds I really do think there could be a coup d'état because the people will be outraged. But then again, this is Brazil and what is normal to you an I is not the same as the Brazilian citizen.

You should see the stadium in Manaus - I think they will need a miracle to complete it - which they probably will, but then look at the roads - it is an absolute joke to think they can hold the games here and represent Manaus as an International city. It will take hours to get from one side of Manaus to the other with traffic. I think it would be actually better to walk, yeah like everyone likes walking in 95F heat!

It will be interesting the next few years to say the least.

How about the motorcade of the Pope through Rio if anybody saw that fiasco!!   Not a good example of what might be coming!!

Oh wow, don't remind me. I remember it like it was yesterday. In fact, if my memory serves me right, this is when the United States news media started questioning Brazil and its competence to host a world event like the World Cup. The popes visit combined with the protests set the stage for what will be an interesting next few years.

Not to mention the nearly disasterous Confederations Cup games in Rio with all the protests. I was shocked that FIFA didn't follow through immediately on their plan B, which was to pull the World Cup and have the USA host the games instead. Just dumb luck on Brazil's part that didn't happen.

Well, I did not hear about this before. If anything happens during the World Cup given the previous event history of Brazil then everyone can blame FIFA for not taking action and protecting its fans and Brazil for not having control over its citizens. I really do see disaster on the horizon - even my spouse agrees, and he is extremely passive. It will be an embarrassment of epic proportions should anything go wrong.

God forbid it rains during the World Cup at all. Then the terrible traffic will go from 1.5, 2 hours to cross the city to 3 or 4!!! It's as if rain is some deadly force that just stops people in their tracks. The power will probably go out and who knows how long it will take to come back on. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

That deadly force is the hundreds of traffic signals in São Paulo that stop functioning at even the rumor of rain! rsrsrsrs

I've lived in São Paulo for prolonged periods twice - each time for three years. I can safely say that two things about Sampa will never change; traffic lights that all go on the fritz at the same time and despite all the improvements, traffic on the Marginal Tietê gridlocked.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert - Expat-blog Team