Working out monthly costings

Hi,

I have read through a lot of the cost of living threads. Is it possible to just check the rough costs of the following please:

I would want to hire a car for the cildren and myself, from what I have heard the driving is a tad scary in Bahrain so I would feel safer in something like a 4x4. Could anyone give me a rough figure of what this would cost a month.

If I did a mixture of shopping in markets and supermarkets, what would I be looking at for food shopping for a family of 4? I probably spend about £80 a week in the UK which is roughly 49bhd.

From what I have read; water, electricity, municipility tax is all included in rent. Also internet and sky tv is usually provided? Could i have a rough idea of sky and internet just in case it isn't covered.

What other things do you think I should include, membership to clubs, mother and baby groups. I have put in a rough cost for meals out etc.

Is there anything that you can see that I have omitted?

Thank you again!

Kirsten

Sorry have now found satellite, internet, mobile phone on the 1st page!

Car I guess I am looking at the higher end about 300 bhd for a 4x4.

Your weekly expenses for groceries, toiletries and other consumables should cost you less than what you used to spend in UK. My wife spends about BD25 when she goes for weekly shopping. When I accompany her, we end up spending about BD40, mainly because I buy things which my wife says are "unnecessary".

I agree, you should think of getting yourself a 4x4. There is a wide range to choose from. Small and compact to the ginormous :) I have a Toyota Rav4. It is a small and compact 4x4. Serves the purpose. Average Monthly cost of bank instalment, fuel and maintenance was about BD250 until I paid off the loan. Now fuel and maintenance averages about BD100.

Club memberships range from about BD200 per annum upwards for family membership.

Josnuggles, a senior member of this forum is an office bearer at the Dilmun Club, which is a popular expat club. I go to the Rugby Club. Both these clubs, alongwith the British Club and the Yatch Club have reciprocal arrangements whereby members in one can enter the other at the payment of a nominal entry fee.

The only thing I can think of that seems to be missing is domestic help. You could hire a full time maid, or, like my wife and I, hire part-time help. Full time maids' pay starts at very low amounts. With visa and agency fees, the average monthly cost works out to about BD150 to BD200. Part time maids have their own visa and would cost you anything between BD1 to BD2 per hour depending on where you live. Our maid charges BD2 per hour and we are perfectly happy with her work and this arrangement.

Trust the above answers your questions. :)

Farhaz, Very informative.

Very interested in the club costs, that's interesting to know that membership in one helps you get into another.   Is there any info online or more details elsewhere regarding this?

Paul.

http://britishclubbahrain.com/reciprocal-clubs/

That is brilliant and really helpful - thank you!

I definitely don't want a live in maid as I want the kids to not get used to this idea, for when we eventually move back to England. Although someone coming in to do a couple of hours cleaning and my ironing would be very nice!

Does anyone know if there are any other fees for landlords? Once we pay the rent, is there a finding fee or a local tax or anything that we would have to pay?

great insight thanks

Mummywatson wrote:

I definitely don't want a live in maid as I want the kids to not get used to this idea, for when we eventually move back to England. Although someone coming in to do a couple of hours cleaning and my ironing would be very nice!

Once you settle down, you should be able to get hold of part-time help easily.

Mummywatson wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any other fees for landlords? Once we pay the rent, is there a finding fee or a local tax or anything that we would have to pay?

Finding fee is payable by the landlord to the agent. You do not need to pay this. If your rent is "all-inclusive" (includes electricity, water and tax), then paying the municipality tax (aka "baladiya") is the landlord's responsibility.

I didn't think I would want a maid or cleaner when I moved here either but the villa's are massive and get dusty really quickly so I also have a cleaner come for 4 hours per week (2bd per hour).

If your kids are school age I would definitely factor in all those extra costs like activities (which are really expensive here) uniforms, school camps and sporting equipment is also very expensive.

We rented a  fully furnished villa but there was still plenty that we needed to buy like cutlery, bed linen, bath towels and bits and pieces of furniture. Hope that helps.