Moving to Astana with a daughter.

Hi Everybody!

I will soon be arriving in Astana to teach at NIS. My daughter will be accompanying me.

Anybody with any advice? Does Astana have entertainment for young children? She is 8.

Thank you.
:)

Hi  RJones,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Can you please introduce yourself, are you looking for indoor or outdoor activities? These information might be helpful. Thank you! :)

Thank you,

David.

There are children's theatre performances in Kazakh and Russian.
The circus building has (obviously) various circuses perform there, as well as things like New Year pantomime-like events (last year they had Masha and Medved).
Cinemas play a wide selection of films, I'm sure I've seen plenty of kids' films there. If she doesn't yet speak Russian, KinoPark (7?) in Keuren has one or two English language films playing, which sometimes includes a recent American cartoon (Despicable Me 2, that sort of thing).
Duman aquarium is worth a visit, if sharks, fish and a mermaid might interest her! There are also other activities to do inside.
Most shopping centres and big blocks of flats have play equipment (swings, slides, rope nets, etc.).
During the warmer months, there are a few parks, with amusement rides, face painting, horse rides, a trampoline etc. (I'm only well acquainted with the one by the river, near the Duman hotel, don't be put off by the main entrance being a construction site, if you walk round the side via the tennis courts, the park itself is open, though as the weather gets colder, rides shut down etc.)
Pedalos on the river, though again I'm not sure when they shut up shop for Winter.
As David said, knowing more about your family and daughter might help others to make further suggestions - any Russian/Kazakh language skills? Tomboy-like or more of a pink dress and pretty hair sort of attitude to playing?

Thank you so much for the information. At the moment we speak no Russian or Kazakh, but we have started learning Russian and I'm sure she'll pick it up quickly when we arrive.

She'll definitely enjoy the aquarium.

Looking forward to our adventure a little more each day. :)

Hi  RJones,

Welcome to Astana!

In Astana we have a lot of special scholls where you can find english speaking teachers.