Reference Check a few days after signing an Offer Letter? Formality?

Hi everyone, I signed an offer letter last week and I was expecting that the company that hired me has been processing my employment visa.  To my surprise today, they sent an email with a reference check form to be submitted to them. I dont want to disclose the name of the company as I have high respect for them.  All the while I thought that they are already processing it, to my dismay though. My question for the experienced expats here:  Is the signing of the Offer letter not a confirmed way of knowing that you are hired already?  Are reference check forms just formality?

I hope anyone could enlighten me as I am thinking of sending CV's again online tomorrow.  Thanks in advance.

It happens a lot when you are applying online and the companies can change their mind at any time. If they are not interested in your services they you should move on ..

Adil Shah wrote:

It happens a lot when you are applying online and the companies can change their mind at any time. If they are not interested in your services they you should move on ..

In my case, I am on a visit visa and it will expire soon.  Isn't it humanitarian or a simple kind gesture to let you know that you may be waiting for nothing, with the company knowing that your time is ticking?  I really thought that the signing of the Offer letter was already an assurance.

nope i signed a letter myself but it turns out that the company rushed into things, but i continued to apply for other jobs as well. In the end i had to return due to a family emergency way before my visa expiry. But hope everything works out for you and all the best :)

Adil Shah wrote:

nope i signed a letter myself but it turns out that the company rushed into things, but i continued to apply for other jobs as well. In the end i had to return due to a family emergency way before my visa expiry. But hope everything works out for you and all the best :)

There is a first for everything.  A Lesson learned for me.  I'm working on Plan B now, But, I am still hoping that the company would consider me. Thanks Adil Shah, All the best to you and your family as well.

Thank you cjbatgirl19 lol see ya :)

Hi
I am going thru the same thing!
I signed the contract after being offered the job and sent it-now they have this huge list of things for me to gather including many things already sent to them such as my CV, reference letters, medical documents not to mention all that has to be notarized and authenticated by my state and the state dept and embassy!
It is ok and I am gathering it all but it does seem complicated and will take longer to get me there than they had originally planned!
Hang in there!

I wonder why you are surpised? Reference check is a norm for any good company.
Singnig the contract alone doesn't gaunrentee you a job, you should come out clean in your reference/BG check, security clearence and your educational documents. Just fill the reference check form and submit it to the company, note that the company will do a reference check make sure the contacts you write in the referece check form provides good feedback about you.
Good luck!

Ykhan wrote:

I wonder why you are surpised? Reference check is a norm for any good company.
Singnig the contract alone doesn't gaunrentee you a job, you should come out clean in your reference/BG check, security clearence and your educational documents. Just fill the reference check form and submit it to the company, note that the company will do a reference check make sure the contacts you write in the referece check form provides good feedback about you.
Good luck!

Hi Ykhan. I am not surprised with the Reference check.  I was surprised with the companys' procedure.  What I mean is, before they called to congratulate me and asked me to sign the Offer letter is they have already done the reference check, all the HR SOP right?  They waited a few days before telling me they will do a reference check when they know that time is running out on my visa.  What is the congratulatory for in the first place?  If they did the reference check before I signed the offer letter then there would be no problem and I wouldn't be posting this topic.  That is my point sir.

MZCDB62 wrote:

Hi
I am going thru the same thing!
I signed the contract after being offered the job and sent it-now they have this huge list of things for me to gather including many things already sent to them such as my CV, reference letters, medical documents not to mention all that has to be notarized and authenticated by my state and the state dept and embassy!
It is ok and I am gathering it all but it does seem complicated and will take longer to get me there than they had originally planned!
Hang in there!

Hello MZCDB62! Thanks, I am hanging on.  Yeah, I figured we are on the same boat.  The only difference is that I am here on a visit visa with time not on my side and you are in your own country, I assume.  I hope that things will turn out fine for us though.  Godbless.

cjbatgirl19,
Now you are surprising me.
The normal hiring procedure as I know is as follows.
1.    CV shortlist and arrange for technical interview
2.    Followed by HR interview to fix the salary
3.    Offer letter with date of joining
4.    Submission of certificates (education, experience and references)
5.    BG verification and certificates validation
6.    Appointment letter on the date of joining

As soon as you clear the technical and HR interview an offer letter will be rolled out assuming your CV is 100%  candid so you can give the notice to your present employer. While you serve the notice period your future employer will do the necessary BG and reference check. If you come out clean then all is well, you will get your offer letter, company manual etc on the joining date, else your bad luck. Don't ever try to build your CV on the fake grounds.

Ykhan wrote:

cjbatgirl19,
Now you are surprising me.
The normal hiring procedure as I know is as follows.
1.    CV shortlist and arrange for technical interview
2.    Followed by HR interview to fix the salary
3.    Offer letter with date of joining
4.    Submission of certificates (education, experience and references)
5.    BG verification and certificates validation
6.    Appointment letter on the date of joining

As soon as you clear the technical and HR interview an offer letter will be rolled out assuming your CV is 100%  candid so you can give the notice to your present employer. While you serve the notice period your future employer will do the necessary BG and reference check. If you come out clean then all is well, you will get your offer letter, company manual etc on the joining date, else your bad luck. Don't ever try to build your CV on the fake grounds.

I dont have any problem with the Reference check whatsoever, all my documents are legit and I am not worried about anything regarding that.  It's just that when I thought I signed the offer letter, they are already processing my employment visa.  That's just about it.

good for you..
there is difference between offer and appointment. have patience talk to HR and follow up. Dont rush, good things never happen on fly.

Ykhan wrote:

good for you..
there is difference between offer and appointment. have patience talk to HR and follow up. Dont rush, good things never happen on fly.

I understand that now.  I'm staying positive. Thanks for your time. God bless.

Thats better, Good luck.