Pet friendly unit with yard

I am looking to immigrate in August with my 2 dogs. I am a single male so need a minimum of a 1 bedroom unit which is furnished. Due to the dogs, I will need access to a private yard/garden where my dogs can play during the day. I ll be working at Gzira so any house near that area will do just fine. The maximum rent I can pay is 500-550 euros.
Regards
Pantelis

how are you getting your dogs over? we want to fetch ours but some people on here have said its about £1000 each!

I found many from Maltapark but they all are 3 bedrooms.. :)
For example this one:http://www.maltapark.com/item.aspx?ItemID=1876374
they don't say where this is but in your budget and rent is negotiable..

thank you sannis :) I will have a look. my dogs must come with me otherwise im not staying :) 500-550 is exactly my budget :) I read about ur experience with landlord. hope all is well now :)

they will come with Emirates from Cyprus. as long as the dog with the crate is under 30 kg then its 10 euros per kilo. so it ll cost me less than 600 euros. hope this helps. u need a travel crate and be sure they r less than 30kg. otherwise they ll come as cargo and it ll cost more

Hi Pantelis,

welcome to the forum.

Gzira is a very built-up area with not much room for dogs. And Malta is not very dog-friendly.

I'm wondering a bit as you seem to intend to keep your 2 dogs in a yard while you are working? What kind of dogs are you talking about apart from being less than 30 kg's ? It will be kind of difficult to find a 1/2 bedroom appartment or house with yard anywhere near Gzira.

How well do you know Malta and how well behaved are your dogs?

I wish you luck and hope you have two dogs that don't bark -))

Cheers
Ricky

hello
no I don't intent to keep them outside while I work :) they r both house trained and they will be inside the house while I work. a yard would be ideal for them to be out while I am at home but from what I understand that is very difficult.
I have a basset hound and a terrier mix. basset is 21kg and terrier is 14. medium to small size dogs.
well there is not a dog in the world that doesn't bark even a bit but the plan is for them to be inside and be quite while I am away and walk and be with me when I am not.
I am moving to malta soon and for me leaving my dogs behind its not an option :)
i have never been to malta btw :)
I ll do what it takes to bring them with me
Pantelis

Lobo81, my situation w/ landlord is stable but.. I'm still hoping I find something else for August coz I'd not like to deal with him anymore.. He says he doesn't trust me anymore but I don't trust him, especially when he is ready to kick me out with a child and a dog even though rent is paid!!
This is weird.. When I moved, I was looking Emirates flight from Muscat to Malta but we didn't have an option to take our dog as a luggage, only as cargo coz the fligh was via Cyprus. So we flew with Lufthansa even though it was much more expensive (dog's share was just 300€).
Have a good luck with your house hunt, I know it's not easy!! :)

when there is a will there is always a way :) my dogs are my family so they will come with me. thanks for the link. I ll call them tomorrow and ask more details on those 2 apartments I found listed there :)

Hi, we live in Gzira with our dog( a beagle), as Ricky mentioned it is a very built up area, most of the yards, if you manage to find a place with one, is probably going to be very small ( a small room size or  even smaller), so not really a place for two dogs to play and run around. On the plus size if you will live in Gzira you will be close to the only place around where you can walk your dogs without leash: Manoel Island.
Our landlord is dog friendly (although he owns appartments only), but due to the high tourist season he does not have an available place right now.

Good luck

Evi

thanks evi. im trying really hard to find a dog friendly place but for now I seems impossible :) hopefully when I get there things will be easier.im looking for apartment now since I realized a house is more expensive :)

Lobo81 wrote:

thanks evi. im trying really hard to find a dog friendly place but for now I seems impossible :) hopefully when I get there things will be easier.im looking for apartment now since I realized a house is more expensive :)

Trying to find a dog friendly apartment instead of a house will be even harder! you can try offering a bond against any damage the dogs may cause but most apartment owners do not like pets.
It would be a good idea to leave the dogs behind and get them sent over once you have a place.
Moving to a small Island like Malta that you have never been to before with two dogs is not the best idea, visiting for a few days before would have at least given you an idea of what is available.

Good luck

Terry

Also don't forget to notify the Maltese authorities regarding importing your dogs. The dogs need to have pet passports, micro chipped plus you fill in two forms (on line) and the dogs need to be checked by the government vet on arrival.

Terry

yeah that's the plan. im coming august dogs will arrive end of September. im just wondering why agents are not willing to help via phone and they keep saying come over. it would be a lot faster if I could have 3-4 properties in mind coming and check and see if they suit me. I will be working as well so I  will not have plenty of time to find an apartment. I find it really odd that they don't care and they say we ll see. they will get paid for their services they should have been more helpful.
the dogs will be ready to come by the time I leave Cyprus. I have sorted everything out regarding that. the only problem is the lack of help im getting by various agents

Unfortunately that's the way agents are in Malta. Lots of places that are advertised are in fact not available as they have already been rented.
You really need to be here and able to view otherwise agents generally are not interested, also a lot are advertised privately via shop windows etc, so you need to look around and ask.
Its also peak tourist time so some landlords will try for short lets for more money.
There are dog friendly places but you need to dig deep to find them.

Terry

IMHO, if a landlord does not want animals in his/her apartment a bond is not going to help, they might accept the money, but will find a way to discourage animals, like after you sign the contract they will inform you that although they do not have anything against the dogs the regulations of the apartment building will  not allow, etc). Better to find a landlord who will allow the dogs without any incentive , you pay deposit anyway so it should cover the damage if any caused by dogs. I agree you will not have a lot of options, we saw 4 flats in total, but we were very particular where we wanted to live: walking distance from Ta Xbiex. None of the agents want to work with you over the phone, they prefer if you are in Malta, I can imagine they receive a lot of similar requests every day.

I have an real estate agent friend who actually lives and works in Gzira, I can send you his contact details, but he might not be able to help either, as this is the high season and everything is rented out as short let, so right now it is quite difficult to find something for reasonable price even without animals.

Evi

may i ask why you guys are leaving Cyprus?
Cyprus is a beautiful island.

thanks guys. you all have been very helpful. worse case scenario end of September I ll book me in a dog friendly hotel and try to find accommodation. hopefully I ll be lucky enough to sort out everything soon :)

hey toonarmy9752
Cyprus is indeed a beautiful island but unfortunately we Cypriots and our greedy nature destroyed it. now most of us are unemployed and with no hope for the future. I lost my job one month ago and no one is hiring in Cyprus. so I had to look for a job anywhere else. I found one in malta and thought why not? :) all I have is my dogs anyway so if they come  ill be more than ok. malta's weather is similar to Cyprus anyway and the mentality seems exactly the same :)

Lobo81 wrote:

hey toonarmy9752
Cyprus is indeed a beautiful island but unfortunately we Cypriots and our greedy nature destroyed it. now most of us are unemployed and with no hope for the future. I lost my job one month ago and no one is hiring in Cyprus. so I had to look for a job anywhere else. I found one in malta and thought why not? :) all I have is my dogs anyway so if they come  ill be more than ok. malta's weather is similar to Cyprus anyway and the mentality seems exactly the same :)

mentality...:):):):):):)

yeah so malta it is :) lived in the uk for 7 years as well. so now its time for something different :)

it is definitely different thats for sure-its a very marmite island....

u either love it or hate it :)

Lobo81 wrote:

u either love it or hate it :)

yep you got it - however we are living proof that it can take a while for it to grow on you...... albeit with frustration

well I prefer having a job in malta than being jobless in Cyprus to be honest :)

Hi, I have been renting a house in birzebbuga since last August and we have 3 dogs, it has a yard and 2 bedrooms. I am moving out in 3 weeks. The cost is 400 euro a month. I can put you in touch with my landlord if you want.

Hi Pantelis. I can offer you a large 3 bedroom apartment on high ground in the Sliema/Gzira area, with terrace and open views (some seaviews too), two living areas, 2 bathrooms for €500 monthly, long let. Will vacate end of this month. I'm an estate agent, so the standard estate agency fee will apply, but I'll take you straight to the best value-for-money properties. Enjoy your summer meanwhile! Regards, Kenneth Borg

@sammymammy. I am also desperately trying to find a pet friendly unit! Can you please send me your landlors details as well? Thank you!!!