Bad areas in Malta?

I'm in a position where I might have to agree a rental on a place before I come over in September and this is an obvious disadvantage when trying to get a feel for an area!

I was wondering if there are any specific areas that I should try to avoid?

Im looking at Gzira/Msida area to be close enough to the University.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hi,

there are certainly areas in Gzira and Msida to be avoided! I'll  just mention Testaferata Street but there are others too . You need to look very closely at your neughbourhood.

If you stay close to the University you should be ok but everywhere will be noisy.

Cheers
Ricky

Im very apprehensive to just rent somewhere without seeing the area, just not sure what else to do about it!

Why?

Malta is a renters market ! You can get a place within a few days and you will at least have seen the place and the area.

You should not rent a place in Malta without seeing it first and looking at the small print in the contract (and the very very small print too) -that's a no-no !

Take a cheap hotel or an appartment for a week or two! It will be worth it - especially in September.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky spot on as usual

Hi

I am also interested to know whether there are any towns that should be avoided in Malta?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I don't think that there is any town or village that has to be avoided.

It all depends on what you are looking for in ways of area,even the street and especially the specific appartment or house you are interested in.

Every town,village and street has it's own character, level of prices and people living in the area and services nearby.

You really have to look and compare and, quite often, make a mistake and move again.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky

Thats what I thought but I just wanted to be sure!  For example, here in Madrid there are certain neighbourhoods that are not great to live in and are best to be avoided!

As I have plenty of time on my side, I plan to have a number of visits over the next 6-9 months to get a real feel about where I want to be! 

Sarah

sarso7 wrote:

Thanks Ricky

Thats what I thought but I just wanted to be sure!  For example, here in Madrid there are certain neighbourhoods that are not great to live in and are best to be avoided!

As I have plenty of time on my side, I plan to have a number of visits over the next 6-9 months to get a real feel about where I want to be! 

Sarah

That's excellent Sarah

I say that because, as said earlier, it may not be just any anti-social behaviour in a particular street/area but there are other offences......such as noise nuisance (building etc) but also be aware of the "smell" nuisance.  Although it has cleaned itself up in recent times the smell on the coast road to 'splash and fun' was quite iffy......there is a pig farm in Mqabba that has assaulted the nasal senses for years and many more (dotted around) that you need to be aware of. It is wise, therefore, to physically go to the area you plan to stay and see (and smell) for yourself the locality.

Good luck

Mike

totally agree with Mike and Ricky - noisy dogs are a particular problem in many areas so its best to try various areas and go at different times of the day.

This topic is quite interesting. Depending on what a person is looking for. If one wants the quiet village life and yet live among respectable people, I would suggest Lija, Attard or Balzan, though the latter seems to be somewhat problematic due to a lot of illegal immigrants being hosted by nuns. Obviously once a year in every village there is the Festa, a bit noisy.
If one is looking for a more modern and busy area, Sliema is the best bet, but be warned, construction projects are always going on.
The best choices are areas to the north, Bugibba, Mellieha and Qawra....however, being seaside resorts, summers may be a bit chaotic.
I am in favour of renting on short lets at first to get to know the island.
Summers are hot and humid temp reaching 36 deg c and winters can be cold as though the temp may be about 6 deg the humidity makes it worse. Air conditioners and central heating are the solution if you can handle the electricity bills.

Any idea about pembroke will be appreciated.

Thanks

Pembroke is quite large area but from what ive seen of it - it looks very very nice.

In Msida, if I'd know earlier what I know now, I'd avoid this place where I live now...
Cows shit stinks, roosters crows and big german shepherd barks on the balcony non stop..
No good grocerys near and very difficult to reach Marina, need to use detours..
Yes, I visit here few times before moving but I couldn't see all these grievances then...

Sannis wrote:

In Msida, if I'd know earlier what I know now, I'd avoid this place where I live now...
Cows shit stinks, roosters crows and big german shepherd barks on the balcony non stop..
No good grocerys near and very difficult to reach Marina, need to use detours..
Yes, I visit here few times before moving but I couldn't see all these grievances then...

this can happen - its always wise to go at different times of day and night - and view a couple of times before making the final decision - even if you have to make up a reason to view again.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to do as suggested and find a hotel for a couple of weeks and get a feel for different places/apartments. Thanks :)

I have been told that Pembroke is very noisy because of the language schools - very late night partying and no respect from the students for permanent residents there.

If looking at apartments in Maltese towns and villages, be very wary of closed garage doors that look totally innocent under or across the road from the apartment viewed . Many of them are let out as garaging space for small delivery company vans/lorries that start up very early in the morning. We have fortunately avoided this pitfall by chance, but two blocks away a tow truck business operates from a garage at all times of the day and night and a bit closer one of the garages (only has one set of double doors onto the street) houses approx 8 private vehicles belonging to different people that come and go all times of the day and night. On weekends someone cleans all these cars so starts with an industrial vacuum cleaner at 6am....
Just add the above to your list for things to look out for when you are scouting around in the evening or early morning as suggested :)

Well this lot has narrowed it down a little for me............

...............small hut at Dingli Cliffs it is then.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad026.gif

Thank you Toonarmy.

MikeInPoulton wrote:

Well this lot has narrowed it down a little for me............

...............small hut at Dingli Cliffs it is then.

[img align=l]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad026.gif[/url]

Ahh! Dingli cliffs, tourists, dog walkers, shooting, traffic, and then there are the rabbits!

Terry (I,m back).

and those who wish to deposit scrap cars into the sea and not to mention suicides.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and those who wish to deposit scrap cars into the sea and not to mention suicides.

I thought you had stopped doing that? (not the suicide bit,).

Terry

unfortunately though the times do change, the people don't

tearnet wrote:

Ahh! Dingli cliffs, tourists, dog walkers, shooting, traffic, and then there are the rabbits!

Terry (I,m back).

http://1.media.todaysbigthing.cvcdn.com/29/83/76ca8d143d4af6612b22ffd59a035966.gif

MikeInPoulton wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry (I,m back).

[img align=c]http://1.media.todaysbigthing.cvcdn.com/29/83/76ca8d143d4af6612b22ffd59a035966.gif[/url]

Good, I'm glad your pleased!

:top:

am slowly running out of cars and i here you may have a couple - and am still trying the other thing but have so far failed. must be the red bull giving me wings.