Moving to Amsterdam from Sydney, Australia

Hey all,

I'm considering a move to Amsterdam later this year but am finding it hard to find some answers to a few questions I've got.

- What's the cost of living like?
- I'm a graphic designer by trade - are these types of jobs hard to get?
- Is it hard to find work?
- How much adequate funds do I need to have saved?
- Any other tips or things to know about living there?

I know there's a few questions there but some help would be really, really appreciated!

Hi there, I don't think I can be of much help but I can try :D

I have no idea about graphic design jobs, so sorry. However I currently live in Amsterdam so perhaps I can help with living expenses. Renting in Amsterdam is pretty expensive and its hard to find places. I pay 300 euros a month for one room, and that is pretty cheap. Have a look here at prices:

http://www.funda.nl/huur/  (you should be able to navigate through the dutch- there are lots of pictures :D)

Further living costs are average, obviously expensive as its western europe. Further tips would be to learn as much of the language before you move as that will make it smoother. I don't think I am being very helpful but Amsterdam is a really cool city so I hope you manage the move :)

Hi!

I hear you! I am in Melbourne and I am also thinking of doing the same thing. I am turning 30 this year and I'm freaking out and want to go to Amsterdam for some adventure and a nice change - I need to do something different other than the hum drum here. I once visited three days and swore I would return.

I am busy looking around to find out what the job market is like over there for those in the area of design/online marketing - if I find anything useful I will let you know! Here I have a job doing print design and graphic design and online marketing, so don't want to go there is the opportunities are going to be hard to come by BUT I REALLY WANT TO GO!!!!... I also wonder what it would be like doing freelance work?

Good luck & keep me posted!!! :D

Hi i'm currently living in Holland, lived there all my life so i think i can help you out;-)

borninthewrongdecade wrote:

- What's the cost of living like?

The cost of living is quite high in Amsterdam, renting an apartment in Amsterdam is in the center very expensive between 1500 - 2000 euros a month. Outside the center it will be cheaper. There are good public transport facilities to the city center by bus, tram and metro. Most rental companies will charge you 1 month rent conciliation costs, 1 month rent guarantor and 1 month rent in advance. Shopping in the supermarket can be expensive, if you go to AH you pay twice or sometimes three times more than if you go to the cheaper markets Lidl or Aldi. Night supermarkts are also quite expensive. Going out is expensive in Amsterdam you'll pay between 3-4 euros for a beer in the pub.

- I'm a graphic designer by trade - are these types of jobs hard to get?

I'm a designer also but in the 27 years i live here i only got 1 job where i was able to design. I don't know your design qualities but its difficult to find a job like that. Most companies are outsourcing design jobs. Maybe you have more success when you start your own design company in Amsterdam and get contracts with companies. It isn't hard to start an own company in Holland

- Is it hard to find work?

Yes it is nowadays, the unemployment numbers are currently only rising. Holland has been hit hard due to the financial crisis.

- How much adequate funds do I need to have saved?

Sorry i can't answer this question as i have no experience in moving to Holland

- Any other tips or things to know about living there?

If you move to Holland please take a good look to the area you want to live. Some are really worse to live with many Surinam, Moroccan and Turkish people. Also don't only look to Amsterdam. Consider also in moving to The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht. Holland is a small country so within 3 hours you're to the other site off the country with the train.

If you have more questions please ask me!

Greetings Roel

Lets change places for 4months during winter you live here and i live there?

Hi Borninthewrongdecade,

I have lived in Amsterdam for the last 10 years, until recently my role was placing expats in roles here in Amsterdam. I don't work in recruitment anymore but would be more than happy to advise you on what agencies you need to speak with. Feel free to drop me an email.
If you need a visa, you may qualify for the Knowledge Migrant Visa (Kennismigrant). Apply for jobs before you get here, the problem with coming here first and then looking for a job is that you could miss out on the 30% ruling which would be a real shame.
Regarding cost of living, have a look at this link: expathelp.nl/cost-of-living.html there is a graph comparing cities.

Hope this helps a little.
Best regards
Edward van den Bergh

" I have lived in Amsterdam for the last 10 years, until recently my role was placing expats in roles here in Amsterdam. I don't work in recruitment anymore but would be more than happy to advise you on what agencies you need to speak with. Feel free to drop me an email. "

Hi EdwardvdB
It seems I am reading your post 4 years too late but I hope you are still a member and could help me out. I am an EU national and planning to move to Amsterdam in a few months but I am left with a few burning questions. I have only visited once but swore I'd revisit and live there.
So far I have understood a little about the high rent prices especially in the central zones but that is understandable. I am not expecting to live in posh neighborhoods but I really don't want to reside in a ghetto either. Which areas do you think are more suitable and how much money should I bring with me to support me for at least 2 months?
_ I am a graphic designer and my main aim is to start working with a design agency although in the long run I would very much like to start my own company. I bet the competition is very fierce in this field also but I was wondering if I should start sending out applications prior to my trip? I'm worried if they want to contact me would they bother contacting on a non dutch number?
- Lets say it took some time for the agencies I have applied to to get back to me. Is it possible to start a temp position ( lets say as a sales assistant) in the meantime? Considering that I do not speak Dutch?

I really appreciate your help
Cheers
Zara