Bank Card (ATM Card) cloning

In recent days, I have heard some news from friends in Brasil about their ATM Card being cloned and robbed a lump sum of money from they account. It's basically happening to almost all banks. I also fell victim to this crime. Unfortunately, it was a long weekend in my home country and they do not update the system during holidays, so I was surprised when I saw my account transactions the following Monday.

I always take precaution in taking money from the ATM. I never withdraw from an ATM not located inside a bank. I always cover the keypad when ever I enter my PIN code. I've been going in and out of Brasil for 5 years now and this is the first time this happens to me. I noticed that this only happened after I started withdrawing money from Citibank. But I found out that my friends were also cloned with other banks like HSBC and Banco do Brasil.

Here are some tips to avoid falling victim to this crime:
1. Be very keen with the surroundings when withdrawing from an ATM. Inspect the machine before putting in your card. Keypad should not be so hard to press. If it is, be very suspicious.

2. Avoid using ATMs found in secluded places. Only use machines inside the bank if possible.

3. Use credit card instead of debit card when doing purchases. This may protect your personal money from unauthorized access. With credit card companies, you could complain for purchases you didn't made. In my case, my bank doesn't honor unauthorized withdrawal to be submitted for dispute claims. (In my country, credit cards and debit cards are different and separate. Unlike here in Brasil, where you could have 1 card for both debit and credit.)

4. Use 2 bank accounts. Now, I have 2 bank accounts. First one is were I received my monthly salary and the second account is the one which I use the ATM card to withdraw from ATMs. I will only transfer money to my second account whenever I need some cash. I never use the first account's card in ATMs.

Hi kenj,

Thanks for the update on this very common problem in Brazil.

I'd like to mention that the banks here are not immune from the problem at all. Their machines are often tampered with because they are accessible at night. Outside of banks they usually aren't because they are either in shopping malls which are closed or they are in locations of high movement such as convenience stores and therefore not subject to being tampered with without being noticed.

A few more safety tips:

If you are using an ATM machine in any location more frequently than others, such as a specific bank branch, mall, etc., try to always use the very same machine and note down the machine's number which will be displayed both on the ATM itself and on your transaction stub or bank statement. Either memorize exactly what it looks like or take a photo of it with your cellular phone and if it appears in any way different from what you remember or from your photo don't use it. If it is in a bank bring that to the attention of the branch manager. Ask if they have made any repairs to or changed the machine and tell him or her you suspect it has had a skimmer faceplate added. These devices are quite sophisticated and can replicate the real machine's faceplate quite well.

Also if you begin a transaction and the machine will not complete the transaction and requests you phone a number to confirm or correct the error beware if it is not the 800 number of the bank, (You should get to know the 800 number of your bank)or if your bank has direct line telephones next to the ATM the message didn't instruct you to use that phone. Nobody at the bank service center will ever ask for your PIN number, if they do then you know you're being scammed. This is even more commonly done at night when the bank branch is closed so always return to the branch immediately when it is open and report the incident to someone in authority at the branch.

When using your credit/debit card for any purchases never let it out of your sight for a second. For example in a restaurant or at a gas station don't just give it to your waiter or the gas station attendant, go with them. You also need to beware since many of these hand-held devices are also skimmers that the owners of the establishment knows are cloning cards or have been replaced by organized crime groups posing as representatives of the bank or credit card company supposedly upgrading the equipment.

Cloning is almost impossible to avoid no matter what you do here in Brazil. The only real protection is to access your bank statement online as often as possible and monitor the activity very closely. At the first sign of any transaction you didn't make notify the bank immediately.

Some foreign banks actually monitor both your ATM and credit card activity and will actually phone you if they spot anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes they will even temporarily block your account if they have doubts until you contact them and confirm that a specific transaction was actually made by you or not. Some banks are now responding to skimming and cloning by installing fingerprint readers on their ATMs, but even this is going to be only partial protection for the bank customer.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I have just come back from trying to use a Citibank ATM in Centro Rio de Janeiro. I am using a pre-paid debit card because my UK debit card has been cloned twice before while in Brazil. It turns out that my pre-paid card has now also been cloned.

I was ULTRA careful wherever I used the card and ever since I got the pre-paid debit card I have only used it in one ATM. I find it odd that each time my cards have been cloned someone is withdrawing cash from an ATM in Sao Paulo. Its leading me to believe that the ATM at Citibank in Centro has something to do with it.

Another odd thing is that when my debit cards were cloned, I started to withdraw cash on my credit card (expensive I know) and have had no problems with cloning (so far). Is it a case that foreign DEBIT cards are more vulnerable to cloning rather than CREDIT cards?

Hi RDO,

Bet it stands for Rio das Ostras? Am I right?

I guess that debit cards are a bit more subject to cloning because they give direct access to one's bank account and if a withdrawal is made at a branch of the bank involved there is usually a much higher withdrawal limit or permits numerous transactions up to the existing balance of the account, so theoretically they could wipe the account out completely.

With credit cards these transactions are generally subjected to a limit or line of credit, also for purchases one must usually present ID and also sign the transaction slip. There is also much more vigilance on the part of banks since they are the ones responsible if unauthorized transactions take place, so often they will track your normal buying habits and if anything takes place out of the ordinary, they will even phone you to see if you are really making that transaction that is in progress. I've had this happen in the past. Many times they also will refuse a transaction that is suspicious.

If you've had your debit card cloned and you're sure you have only used one particular ATM you should bring that to the attention of the bank manager, they should examine the machine. If anything is amiss they're supposed to cover your losses too.

It's also advisable to go to the nearest delegacia and make an official police report (Boletim de Ocorrência) as well.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team