Have Anything But An FMM Tourist Card? GET YOUR FOREIGN CAR OUT OF MEX

New Aduana law. Only FMM holders can get a car permit. Older FM-3 now RESIDENTE PERMANENTE permit holders must get their foreign registered car OUT OF MEXICO. NOW. Local aduana offices can issue you a special permit to get the car out of Mexico. This is not rumor or hype. Doubt it? Test it by losing your car at a Puesto de Control.

What about RESIDENTE TEMPORAL?

Once upon a time a person could stay in Mexico longer than 180 days with a foreign registered car, specifically a non Mexico car that had valid Mexican nacional plates.

Those days are over.

If the SSP or PFP catches anyone in Mexico without a valid FMM 180-day tourist card driving a vehicle with non Mexican plates (and they do not have the owner present with a valid FMM), they seize the car, right there Unless the driver has that GET OUT OF MEXICO FREE LETTER they got from Aduana.

There is no grandfathering, no amnesty no nothing. Cars without Mexican plates are being seized. Have a valid FMM 18-day permit to go with the valid 180-TIP? You're OK. Cars can be signed over to Aduana in Mexico just like always.

Show up at the border inspection station with a foreign car and no FMM, no entry. They won't even blow you a kiss.

Answer my previous question and cut the hype.

Hola Mexbungalows,

Could you please give me some advice?  We drove from the US to Mexico in November of 2012.  Received a 180 day tourist visa or FMM and also our Vehicle Permit Sticker (TIPS).  It expired on May 18, 2013.  We are planning on going to Chetumal/Belize to obtain a new one.  After searching the internet and reading several articles this is what we have read. 

"if you drive your vehicle across the border to Mexico, and have a permit placed on your car when you receive your tourist visa, that you should never fly home due to the fact that they take that tourist visa and are issued a new one when you arrive back in Mexico. That first tourist visa is connected with the vehicle permit and you will be in big trouble". We have flown home three times since we arrived and no longer have the original tourist visa but have received a new one each time we have flown back to Mexico.

Do you know anything about this or can you refer me to someone who can help?

Do you know anything about the procedure?  I do however know that we have lost our deposit from the original sticker as it has expired.

Thanks

Oh man, please take the following opinions seriously. Go to your nearest office of ADUANA and "fess up". Do not drive the car, it can be impounded and you will never see it again. There is going to be a fine which will be paid at a local bank. Return to the office of ADUANA. They will provide you with a letter granting you the privilege of safely exiting Mexico with the vehicle. ADUANA may ask you to visit INM the immigration office first to get the FMM/TIP mismatch quandary resolved first.

Photocopies of ALL documents are crucial. Photocopy the exit Mexico letter, your original 180-day tip papers, your tourist card, everything. Do the latter first before they are surrendered. At the border ADUANA will give you a thermal image receipt of proof of exiting Mexico with the car. I would make several copies of everything BUT ESPECIALLY this document and don't lose any of them. Even photocopy the bank's receipt of proof of payment because when you return to ADUANA they will keep the bank fine payment receipt. Photocopy it before you return to ADUANA.

I would talk to SOMEONE in ADUANA at the border of Belize BEFORE exiting Mexico. Not the person who scrapes off the decal and give you a receipt by ask for "El Jefe". Get his personal assurance that you "are not going to have any problems re-entering Mexico" upon your return to this same office. There are no fines or bribes for this service.

It is going to take several days to a week for Aduana to clear the computer of the ban on your PASSPORT NUMBER to get a new permit upon re-entry. If everything fails, have your spouse (same last name) get the TIP using HER or HIS name. They must have a driver license valid for the length of the renewed stay of time in Mexico and their passport cannot expire sooner than six months. Everything is ID'd according to your US passport number.

Yes, all this info is confirmed. Guard your photocopies with your life. Get the original proof of exit(s) of Mexico laser photo copied both sides when you return to the USA. The original will fade to a blank ribbon.

I hope this helps and PLEASE write a story when this is done and at least send it to me. I promise to pass it along where a lot of people can read it. No word length restrictions. Make it a very detailed story. Describe people and what you had to do. Your story is going to help a lot of people.

[email protected]

WTF??  WTH??  Thanks for the bad news! :( 

Do you know if there is anyone at the Aduana office's that speak English? 

I will definitely write a story and forward to you as to, once again, Brad & Sue's Adventure in Mexico.  Fingers crossed that this one has a good ending!

How long have you been here that you are so knowledgeable to all the processes?  Just curious.

Thanks a bunch!;)

First trip 1964 to tip of Baja California peninsula in jeep caravan. Tijuana to Tapachula, Ciudad Juarez to Chetumal I have live here most of my life. Became a citizen in 2009 (IFE). Curious nature and extremely impatient with folks who like to perpetuate obvious myths and hyperbole. And I enjoy helping folks.

Hire some bilingual person to help you with ADUANA in Chetumal. Obvious place to start "gasolineras" 2nd most obvious place is a taxiista. Quintana Roo may or may not have a state tourist agency by now. That would be best and not illogical given the numbers of English speaking Belizians who cross and shop.

Just say you were "sick". Better than nothing.

But do not drive the car. The SSP has set up many puestos de controles and expired TIP cars are seized and off to the corralon they go. Once gone, not even a lawyer or fines will get them back.

mexbungalows wrote:

New Aduana law. Only FMM holders can get a car permit. Older FM-3 now RESIDENTE PERMANENTE permit holders must get their foreign registered car OUT OF MEXICO. NOW. Local aduana offices can issue you a special permit to get the car out of Mexico. This is not rumor or hype. Doubt it? Test it by losing your car at a Puesto de Control.

You are incorrect. it is not "only" FMM card holders. It can be Residente Temporal Rentistas {retirees] also that can have TIPs.

There is no "new" SAT  ADUANA law.

What is the DIFFERENCE if the car MUST leave Mexico before 180 days? Maybe I should have said foreign plated cars cannot stay in Mexico longer than 180-days. Rentista Permanente de Grado Cinco Estrellas de Oro, it does not matter. 181 days later the car is delinquent.

There are many, many people with a Residente Temporal who have been living in Mexico for years and have a car. Mex, I don't believe that you know too much about Mexican visas. Read up on them.

mexbungalows wrote:

What is the DIFFERENCE if the car MUST leave Mexico before 180 days? Maybe I should have said foreign plated cars cannot stay in Mexico longer than 180-days. Rentista Permanente de Grado Cinco Estrellas de Oro, it does not matter. 181 days later the car is delinquent.

That is incorrect. The new law has Residente Temporal classifications and Residente Permanente. Not everyone wants to have a Residente Permanente visa and no foreign plated vehicle, some go for Residente Temporal Rentista and have TIPs. No problem.

Check with Aduana. That's what I suggested going in. The "law" was just changed. And those gringos with cars here "for many years" have to remove them. Again, check with Aduana. Or ask at a SSP puesto de control. The old FM-3 holders have to get a permit for their car to allow taking it to the border. The corralones are filling up with cars whose holograms and paperwork has expired. An exit Mexico letter from Aduana is good for so many days.

Check

With

ADUANA

The new FM3/Temporal is good for 4 years although some offices have been giving them for less. As long as you have this visa, you can keep a US/Canadian plated car. The problem remains that after the expiration date of the visa, you have to either leave the country and reapply for a new visa for go Permanente. Of course, with the Permanente, you can not keep a US/Canadian plated car. You option is to remove the car or nationalize it.

mexbungalows wrote:

Check with Aduana. That's what I suggested going in. The "law" was just changed. And those gringos with cars here "for many years" have to remove them. Again, check with Aduana. Or ask at a SSP puesto de control. The old FM-3 holders have to get a permit for their car to allow taking it to the border. The corralones are filling up with cars whose holograms and paperwork has expired. An exit Mexico letter from Aduana is good for so many days.

Check

With

ADUANA

We have checked with SAT  ADUANA. There is no "new" law. Everything Joaquinx and I have told you is the truth.

mexbungalows wrote:

Check

With

ADUANA

Hi mexbungalows -  do you have a reference or link to the laws or announcements by the Mexican Government?  I wonder how did you confirm your information? 

Years ago, when I began to have trouble with transitos I found the guidebook section for the aduana on tourist vehicles and then the actual laws they referenced and have traveled with copies of both in my car since along with an email directly from the Aduana in DF that detailed their policy.  This direct information is the type that we should reference now if the law has changed. Direct reference is best by far since almost nobody, including officials, really knows the law on the books.  A wave of authoritative activity in one area may seem to be indicate legitimacy, but regional interpretations and greed could explain it as well.

This will not affect me personally as my car is nearly rusted out on the beach and will never make it back!  I may bother to file for the "mechanical death or accident" release to have the opportuinity to bring in another, but in any case, my next vehicle will just be legalized- less problems in general.

OK, I just looked into it a bit on the SAT site and it's... not immediately clear.  I see something that confirms what you said, in that they now have a statement that it's 180 days with no extensions.  At the same time, it shows that this page has not changed since 2008, so that's not new, could just be for FMM reference.  Also, in other parts, they still mention prorogas.  I don't have time to really sort this out, but I suggest that if one is conecerned that you look into this link below and follow any others related and then, to be sure, email the Aduana directly as a tourist to ask for a ruling on their laws applied to your situation.  That email response should be excellent protection against alternate intepretations by local authorities.

Link to start:  http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico … 10028.html

I see that there is a link here to verify your status with the aduana.  I doubt it will work for vehicles brought in over a few years ago, but worth looking into.

Verifique su permiso- https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx … index.aspx

Steve

joaquinx wrote:

What about RESIDENTE TEMPORAL?

I take it you are NOT in Mexico as a tourist with only an FMM paper card.

You must have a laminated ID that says on the front something like
No Inmigrante
Visitante
Rentista
No Lucrativa.

The important thing is the word Visitante.  That makes you temporal and you have to renew every year.

INM has made changes since you last renewed. Now it is Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente. Temporal (Old FM2/3) can have a foreign plate car while Permanente can not. The Temporal is good for around 4 years, although it can be issued with less time. After that, you have to apply for Permanente or return to your home country and reapply at a consulate.

joaquinx wrote:

INM has made changes since you last renewed. Now it is Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente. Temporal (Old FM2/3) can have a foreign plate car while Permanente can not. The Temporal is good for around 4 years, although it can be issued with less time. After that, you have to apply for Permanente or return to your home country and reapply at a consulate.

Yes, I know and I'm preparing to go permanente in Aug or however long it takes to do the paperwork. I don't have a car, much less one with US plates.

My understanding is that FM2, even with less than 4/5 years is really considered "permanente," even though the holder is going through a probationary period.

You bring up and interesting point there and out of curiosity, I'll ask the following questions:

Does a person who has less than 4/5 years on an FM2 have to convert to permanente?

A person that has already completed 5 years on an FM2 is an inmigrado and didn't have to renew anymore and had no restrictions on how many days he could be outside Mexico.  Does he have to convert to permanente?

Do both those FM2 holders retain the privilege of having a car with foreign plates?

It seems to me all to the good to convert to permanente.  I'm completing 5 years in September on my "visitante" "no Inmigrante."  If I wanted to stay "temporal" I'd have to pack up everything, go back to the US and begin the visa process at a Mexican consulate.  That's going to be a whole hell of a lot more expensive than the $4800MXN fees for converting to "permanente," won't it?

If you know of any reason other than the car restriction for deciding to start over again as "temporal"(visitante no inmigrante,) please let me know.

Thanks

gudgrief wrote:

Does a person who has less than 4/5 years on an FM2 have to convert to permanente?

I am awaiting INM to notify me when my Permanente is ready to be picked up. I had one year on a FM2/Inmigrante. I asked them in January what would happen in May and was told to apply for a Temporal, wait four years and then apply for a Permanente. In May, I was asked if I wanted a Permanente and I said yes. I believe rules changed from January to May. Anyway that was May the 13th that I applied and I'm still waiting.

joaquinx wrote:
gudgrief wrote:

I am awaiting INM to notify me when my Permanente is ready to be picked up. I had one year on a FM2/Inmigrante. I asked them in January what would happen in May and was told to apply for a Temporal, wait four years and then apply for a Permanente. In May, I was asked if I wanted a Permanente and I said yes. I believe rules changed from January to May. Anyway that was May the 13th that I applied and I'm still waiting.

From what I've heard it wasn't so much that rules changed, it was the bureaucrats testing what kind of local authority they had.

No matter, if you've been following the other boards, it was taking 3-5 months for a conversion to permanente.  Keep checking the status of you application on the INM website and be patient.  Maybe things have speeded up some.

gudgrief wrote:

No matter, if you've been following the other boards, it was taking 3-5 months for a conversion to permanente.  Keep checking the status of you application on the INM website and be patient.  Maybe things have speeded up some.

You betcha. I have my Pieza and contraseña memorized.

swsl wrote:
mexbungalows wrote:

Check

With

ADUANA

Hi mexbungalows -  do you have a reference or link to the laws or announcements by the Mexican Government?  I wonder how did you confirm your information? 

Years ago, when I began to have trouble with transitos I found the guidebook section for the aduana on tourist vehicles and then the actual laws they referenced and have traveled with copies of both in my car since along with an email directly from the Aduana in DF that detailed their policy.  This direct information is the type that we should reference now if the law has changed. Direct reference is best by far since almost nobody, including officials, really knows the law on the books.  A wave of authoritative activity in one area may seem to be indicate legitimacy, but regional interpretations and greed could explain it as well.

This will not affect me personally as my car is nearly rusted out on the beach and will never make it back!  I may bother to file for the "mechanical death or accident" release to have the opportuinity to bring in another, but in any case, my next vehicle will just be legalized- less problems in general.

OK, I just looked into it a bit on the SAT site and it's... not immediately clear.  I see something that confirms what you said, in that they now have a statement that it's 180 days with no extensions.  At the same time, it shows that this page has not changed since 2008, so that's not new, could just be for FMM reference.  Also, in other parts, they still mention prorogas.  I don't have time to really sort this out, but I suggest that if one is conecerned that you look into this link below and follow any others related and then, to be sure, email the Aduana directly as a tourist to ask for a ruling on their laws applied to your situation.  That email response should be excellent protection against alternate intepretations by local authorities.

Link to start:  http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico … 10028.html

I see that there is a link here to verify your status with the aduana.  I doubt it will work for vehicles brought in over a few years ago, but worth looking into.

Verifique su permiso- https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx … index.aspx

Steve

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico … 10028.html

As far as I know the SAT  ADUANA web page link you posted in your above post and I copied above here is the current rule on TIPs. 

Google translation of part of this page states:

"If you do not return the vehicle, your guarantee [deposit] will be lost and Banjército will transfer the amount to the Federal Treasury, no later than the second banking day following the day on the expiration of the term of the temporary [TIP]. If you left a guarantee [deposit] and you get an extension, expansion or endorsement of its quality or change in nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant financier [rentista] , provided there is continuity in migration categories, so that it does not become ineffective must present personally in any of the 49 customs of the country in free format a letter giving notice of that fact within 15 working days following the day on which he shall have been granted an extension, expansion, endorsement or change in immigration status of  no inmigrante to inmigrante financier [rentista] and must attach a copy of proof of such proceedings, and the temporary import permit of the vehicle [TIP] and, if appropriate, the admission card.

If for some reason can not return the vehicle on time, you are encouraged not to drive, since it will be illegally in the country and may be subject to penalties and seizure of the vehicle.

At the moment we have the opportunity to return your vehicle, you must make the process called safe return."

In other words your TIP is not cancelled if you notify ADUANA in a freeform letter of any renewals of a INM classification [rentista] or changes in your INM document as long as it is not changed to an Inmigrante with a lucritiva or Inmigrado, these classifications do not allow TIPs, only FMM tourists, 180 return to the border to remove TIP or INM card/visa holders that are no inmigrantes or inmigrantes classified as Rentistas [retirees].

"Si usted no retorna el vehículo, su garantía se hará efectiva y Banjército transferirá el monto a la Tesorería de la Federación, a más tardar al segundo día hábil bancario siguiente a aquel en que haya vencido el plazo de la importación temporal. Si usted dejó una garantía y obtiene prórroga, ampliación o refrendo a su calidad o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, siempre que exista continuidad en las calidades migratorias, para que la misma no se haga efectiva deberá presentar de forma personal en cualquiera de las 49 aduanas del país un escrito en formato libre, dando aviso de dicha circunstancia, dentro de los 15 días hábiles siguientes a aquel en que le hubiere sido otorgada la prórroga, ampliación, refrendo o cambio en la calidad migratoria de inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, debiendo anexar copia del comprobante de dicho trámite, así como del permiso de importación temporal del vehículo y, en su caso, la tarjeta de internación.

Si por alguna razón no puede realizar el retorno del vehículo en tiempo, se le sugiere no conducirlo, ya que el mismo se encontrará de manera ilegal en el país y podrá ser sujeto de sanciones y embargo del vehículo.

Al momento en que tenga la oportunidad de retornar su vehículo, deberá realizar el trámite denominado retorno seguro."