Staying Positive in Winter???

Has anyone else moved to Ireland from a hot country? I'm finding it hard to keep smiling when it's so grey outside!

I'm Irish but lived in Thailand and Australia for years (cough, more than I care to admit!) and it's so depressing when it's grey in the morning and again so early at night.

What do you do to stay positive?

I think on my regular month Vacation in Marseille in July where I originate from  :cool:

Escape! Yes, that's pretty tempting when it starts snowing yet again.

I know, so depressing at the momment, but eh, there are peoples in worse situation than us:)

Always, always is - a bit of perspective is great!

I started a discussion about negativity/expats on my blog this morning! If anyone here wants to join in, new ideas to get round it are always welcome :)

Irish Wanderings

Skipping Eire from time to time and going somewhere warm is a good idea.  But to get through the everyday grind you have to look for 'the beauty in the bleek'.  Try put on your warmest jumper, gloves, scarf, and your wet weather gear, and get outside while it's light.  The worst thing you can do is stay inside; you just have to accept that you're in a different place to Oz.

And when it gets dark (and if you can) make a fire in your fireplace with peat and coal.  Share it with your friends - have a meal and a laugh.  There's nothing better for your morale.

I suffered the experience when I lived in Brussels. For a mediterranean, it is a sad, dark and rainy city.
I managed to "survive" for one year thanks to what we call human heat to recover the lost sun heat.
I did not miss any party, any travel and tried to avoid loneliness. Human relationships could a good ersatz for the sun.
I think to resist better to this "winter blues", we need also to strengthen our self-growth that helps adapting more easily to changes.