Foreigner rent house should pay money to vietnamese government?

today i took a look a house with the person from real estate agent,
she told me i have to pay more 2-3million VND to government if want to rent the house in Da Lat,because i'm foreigner.
i never heard this before,Does anyone know that?

The typical scam/ripp-off attempt. Another 2-3 Million are already in the price calculated, which you got (because you are a foreigner).
It's not going to the government but into private pockets

thanks l3ully,she told me to sign contract tomorrow morning,i really don't like this way

That money may be going to the local police dept. When you rent a house the house owner is supposed to register you there but sometimes they will pay extra tea money to the police so they not hassle you about anything.

VungTauDon wrote:

That money may be going to the local police dept. When you rent a house the house owner is supposed to register you there but sometimes they will pay extra tea money to the police so they not hassle you about anything.

80 000 VND per registration. And not daily 20 times, only once.

In my first house I rented the house owner paid 500,000 vnd  per month to the local police and in 2 years never saw a police officer around my house. In my second house the owner paid nothing and in the last 1.5 years I have had 4 visits from the police.

We are renting out ourselfs. Foreigners must be registered, like said official costs vnd 80 000 per registration.  2-3 million a month is a scam. A one tip, for sure, we also pay, to smoothen, but not each month

i think that's owner's business,why should i pay for that,anyway i never do anything illegal,i don't care the policeman visit me or not

enigma1981 wrote:

i think that's owner's business,why should i pay for that,anyway i never do anything illegal,i don't care the policeman visit me or not

Sure, that is owners business. Some owners pass the costs on, we don't, as it looks to shabby to ask USD 3.50 for registration.
We take the first rent at least 6 month ahead and have comonly rents so paid, that 2 month deposit will stay, which we refund, if none of the installed appliances are moved out ( we had prior even the plastik pipes cut out, powersockets removed ..... and once a car port roofing).

I never do anything illegal either but it is embarrassing when you have guests over and police is asking to see their passports.
Anyway it is not bad now. We are friends with some of our ward officials and don't get visited by police anymore.