Info on possible relocation to Mauritius

Hello,

Just found this beautiful website on the internet as I was digging for info on relocating my business to Mauritius. I am from India and in the business of developing iPhone/iPad apps. I am exploring a number of countries where I could relocate for a better quality of life and Mauritius happen to be one of them. I am looking answers to the following questions from the fellow members. Some of them have been answered in other threads but I insist on more accurate answers, so please bear with me.

1. I would be looking for a 3 bedroom full furnished apartment (not an independent house) with good safety and a very good quality. I would need proximity to a good school for my 3 year old daughter and also nearby market and hospital. What areas can I target and what should be my budget for a such a house ?

2. How is the quality of primary education compared to US, UK, Canada, Singapore ? How much should I budget for the school fee for my 3 year old daughter ? I would need a good school, not necessarily an international school.

3. Are there good places of recreation and entertainment for children ?

4. I read Mauritius grants visa for self employed, correct ? Is there a visa for my parents which allows them to live with me on a long term basis ?

5. Do we find all kinds of vegetables, fruits, spices and condiments that we get in India ? How much monthly expenditure(per person) I need to budget for cooking Indian food at home ?

6. How is the quality of healthcare as compared to US, Europe, and India ? I read on the forums that under some circumstances patient needs to be evacuated to South Africa, how rare is that ?

7. This one is important, I could not find online quotes for medical insurance premiums anywhere. Only someone mentioned on this forum that its approx 5000 rupees. Is this amount per person, per family / per month, per year ? Also what kind of medical coverage do you get with this much premium ? Please do provide as much info you have on medical care and insurance premiums & coverage.

8. Are there good quality Software developers available locally ?

9. How bad can the Weather go between Feb to Apr ? Are there cyclones as bad as in East Coast of United States, or thunderstorms as bad as Singapore ?

10. I really hate pests and bugs in India a lot. I haven't found them anywhere in US, Europe. I hope I don't expect mosquitoes, ants, lizards, cockroaches, mice in the houses in Mauritius. Am I correct ?

Thank you so much for bearing with me :)

probable-expat wrote:

Hello,
Most of the answers to your questions have been answered over the yrs - you just need to use the specific keywords in your search to find them

4. I read Mauritius grants visa for self employed, correct ? Is there a visa for my parents which allows them to live with me on a long term basis ?
Your parents won't be permitted to live more than 180 days per yr on the island . They will have to come on a tourist visa -hence the max days  or apply  for a resident visa ( requiring an annual $40k per yr )

9. How bad can the Weather go between Feb to Apr ? Are there cyclones as bad as in East Coast of United States, or thunderstorms as bad as Singapore ?

This is a tropical island - The normal cyclone season for the region is from 01 November to 15 May of the following year

10. I really hate pests and bugs in India a lot. I haven't found them anywhere in US, Europe. I hope I don't expect mosquitoes, ants, lizards, cockroaches, mice in the houses in Mauritius. Am I correct ?

Once again - insects, bugs and other undesirables are regulars on a tropical, hot and muggy island

Thank you so much for bearing with me :)