I got a job offer to work in one of the island resort in Maldives

Hello Everyone, I a newbie here. I got a job offer to work in one resort in Maldives. This is my first time to work abroad, I am excited at the same time afraid. It'll be a one year contract. I don't know if I can stay that long, am afraid of homesickness, I am also afraid if the accommodation is not comfortable. There are a lot of questions in my mind that left unanswered. Please help! Any relevant information regarding the island life is very much appreciated. Thank you

Hello Babygail,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you will get answers to your questions very soon.

You may view other discussions on the Maldives forum.

Best of luck,
Christine

Hello Babygail! We are on the same boat :) I believe we have to process our Overseas Employment Certificate, Valid Passport (12 months expiration upon date of entry in Maldives), Medical Certificate & attend the PDOS by OWWA. Have you processed any of these already?

God speed and have an awesome journey to Maldives! (Same to me :D)

Happysunnyboard, do you have mobile number? Can I have it

Hi Babygail,

May I know what is the name of the resort? And when do you expect to go to Maldives?

I sent you a private message. Check it out! thank you :)

Dear Babygail,

I have been working for some years in the Maldives, and I know basically how every resort works in this part of the planet :)

There are good resorts, where you can really grow as a person, professionaly and personally speaking; others will be a total waste of your time, so you have to be very careful at the time of choosing the right property.

There are also a lot of employees, like you, who decide to change jobs, and move to another resort, once they are here, so keep this in mind in case youŽre not happy.

I suggest you to have in written anything they agree/promise you before the arrival, or once at the MaleŽs Head Office, since I know of several cases where the employees (and IŽm talking about managers) were promised some incentives they never got.

The working visa is given by the Government, not by a sponsor, so they wonŽt cancel your visa in case you decide to work for another resort in the Maldives.

If you would like to know more about the resort you will be working at, send me a message and IŽll try to help you. I know the living conditions in most of them :) (Centara, Huvafenfushi, Reethi Rah, Baros, Island hideaway, Kurumba, Coco Resorts, Jumeirah Vittaveli, Banyan Tree, etc)

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Babygail,

Are you working for Proserpina Pvt Limited Company? Is your employment contract with you already? Are you leaving Philippines through agency?

Saireedee

Hello Sai, I am direct hire and not through agency. I am not in the company you mentioned above. I am waiting for my work permit then I will proceed with the processing.

Depends  on island if its closer to male it will be good else it can get lonely sometimes

maldivianparadise wrote:

Dear Babygail,

The working visa is given by the Government, not by a sponsor, so they wonŽt cancel your visa in case you decide to work for another resort in the Maldives.

They won't cancel your visa but they can not agree to transfer it...
In that case, you have to start the all process again (2 weeks max) and leave the country to come back when the new visa is ready...

Thank you friends for all the information. All is beneficial :)

Hi Babygail,,How are you? So,when you are coming here in Maldives?
Which resort are you working at? If its a 5* resort, don't you worry about the accommodation,they' will provide a good one,free laundry,free food! Some resorts have a good staff facilities too!   

Homesickness,loneliness,it's a part of life!:)
Specially working in a resort,where you can't go nowhere.. It's just a 1 year contract,I think you can survive!

Hello Edvilyn, Thank you for the reply. I still don't know when I will be in Maldives. I am still waiting for my work permit and it's been 2 weeks now. I will be joining Ayada Maldives and I am very very excited to come but the work permit took so long :( Are you in Maldives already? Take Care

Yea,I've been working here for 2 years..
Ohh!Ayada Maldives,it's a good resort! :)
Just wait for sometime,their working on it,for sure.!

Hi,
Greetings from the Sunny side of life,

To begin with let me tell you, you will not be feeling homesick since lots of your country people live here. You would not be surprised to see a few living in the same resort you are going.
Accommodation defers from resort to resort but mostly in all the resorts foreign staff are well looked after . It wouldn't be fun unless you have the experience.So just pack your stuff and come and join your team and make the best you can on the sunny side of life.

Aminath

Hi,

I was also offered a job in one of the resorts in Maldives and waiting for my visa almost 2 weeks now. I have read a lot about some service charge issues in some resorts is it true?
How can we know if the job offer is true or not?
Thanks hope to hear from you guys

hi Baby gail,

may I ask if the salary offer of $600 is your gross and no servce charge fee included yet? thanks

Hello Juzl, Do you have a skype account? Thank you

Hi I just recently got an offer in Maldives.
The HR said they are sending business visa instead of working visa would that be possible?

yES tHATS possible :) I am here already but not as a business visa. What resort ka ba?

The process in order to have a working visa is changing, since the gouvernment decided to make everything online or something like that.
It's bugging a lot, so don't be worried, quite a few people are on business visa at the moment instead of a working visa.
I myself had to renew my working visa not long ago, and first got a 3 month one, then have to apply again and should get a one year one soon...
Like everything in this country, it takes time :-) don't worry.

thank you so much or the replies. I'll be travelling on the 22nd. I hope everything goes well. Babygail sa Centara me.=)

Hello everyone!!

I have joined this blog just now. I have got a job offer from Maldives from a hotel chain called Dusit Thani. I think its a new hotel.

Anyone from Maldives or is already working in Maldives; please let me know about the working conditions there. I will be coming to Maldives in July and before that i want to know as much as possible about the resort & life there.

I understand many people from India & other countries work there so it will be interesting to know & meet new people.

Please someone revert ASAP.. Thanks

I also have some question on the resorts in Maldives.  There are two companies offering job.  But I'm surprise to see all the term and condition in the offer letter almost the same 99%.  They are totally two different company/resort. I find it almost sound like a "slave contract".  A worker who take leave will not eligible for service charge and only basic salary given.  No overtime payment also. 

Can anyone advice me on this?

HI Babewe,

all contracts are pretty much the same, most of the hotels give Service Charge during you paid annual leave, which matures after 12 months in service. but we do have a few hotels which does not pay SC during your Annual Leave....

It will state your position,  Salary, Duration of contract and terms and condition, working hours etc. 99% of the hotels if not all follow the employment act which is why it is very similar. only thing that will be different might be your benefits, ie Lux gives R&R for all levels while most hotels give R&R for HODs and Asst HODs... all universal resorts pay SC while on annual leave, while they do not pay SC when you take a Emergency Leave, but 4 seasons pay SC even if your on a Emergency Leave..

Does it mean it is better to take offer from those resorts which offer SC when you are on annual leave or sick leave?  Do you know which are those resorts which provide better benefits to workers? Also which are not provide reasonable benefits to workers?  I'm really surprise each word and sentence in the offer letter are almost the same!

If you can tell me which two resorts then I can recommend the better one from them..

Sorry to invade your thread, but do you have any info about Anantara? Is it a nice place to work?  I've heard good things about them, but still any insights will be appreciated.  I'm joining them this Sept 1st

both anatara are great properties.

Thanks Mooch!!

Any meetings for next month? I'd like to meet you all

Hello,

Good to hear that you will be working in Maldives. I heard its a very amazing place, that is why I would also like to work there very much.
May I know how did you get the job offer? Did you apply online, if so which site ???

Good luck.:)

Hi Tzitsme,

Me I found my job through an advertisement in www. job-maldives.com They update it almost daily, I subscribed to new posts so when I get their mail I just check the new jobs added.

Some resorts never even have the decency of replying  your e-mail, at least to say they not interested hahaha!! But don't lose hope by that.

Some resorts do reply and they surely will if your qualifications are what they need.

Happy job searching!!

Hi

I actually do visit that site almost daily. :) And u are right, most of them did not bother to reply that was why I was on constant doubt if my applications were sent succesfully. hehehe.. thanks for sharing.
But I did not know that one can subscribe, I think thats a good idea.

thanks again.

Hi!!

I am newbie in this site.I need a job in Maldives.Please help me

Hi rozarioalo,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Maybe a brief introduction of yourself and maybe you should let us know in which sector you are looking for work please ?

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat.com Team

Hello

Hello guys! Could someone be so kind to share any info abt Kurumba. Is it a nice property?  Are they taking good care of their staff? Are people there friendly and helpful? I'm also worried abt accommodations and life conditions there. Thank u very much in advance.

I heard there are some resorts in maldives who provide staff bar. what about ayada? is there any staff bar in there?
please share

Thats great. Good luck.  If you or anybody else has information on Kuredu Island Resort & Spa please share - There is an opportunity to work as an English teacher for their staff. I am considering it. However do require single accommodation and fair wage.  How does working for a resort differ from working for a school. Keep in mind I am a single white male from Canada.