Packing to Move. What do you regret not bringing?

Hi Everyone,

So I am moving to Vietnam in about a month or so. I am packing and planning what I need to bring.

I wanted to ask you all, is there any thing or things that you regret not bringing with you from home or your native country?

Just curious and maybe it will give me some ideas :)

I regretted that I didn't bring a good raincoat and a knee brace.  The raincoats in Vietnam are still not to my liking; and there is still no sport medicine outlet.

I am going to bring a rain coat. I was wondering about rubber rain boots. Do you see people wearing those since it is so wet? I don't want to look like the odd one out wearing them.

Not really.  Vietnam is very humid.  I opted for leather shoes and rubber flip-flops.

Splenda for my coffee and more shorts. It's never been cooler than 73 degrees and that was at 4 in the morning.

Short bootees (calf-length); enough personal feminine supplies for a month (until you find your bearings), GSM cell phone; medicine (OTC [over the counter] doesn't here xist - get generic names); contact lens fluid for a month, if you wear long-term lenses bring a couple of spares; knitting supplies (especially needles).

Shoes (formal); fancy underwear; driving licence; diplomas  / certificates.

Remember: Voltage is 220volt; transformers here are cheap.

Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.

Jaitch, I am packing all of my knitting needles and crochet hooks. Also, a stash of yarn to work on projects. So I've got that covered.

I have a stash of OTC medications as well.

Dont forget to bring some electrical outlet plugs that look like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 … AA300_.jpg

Most places Ive seen actually support US electronic cables, but it still nice just to carry a few outlet plugs just in case.

Also bring two jeans (or any other pants) and some warm gear (in case you plan to travel up north).

Yep.... artificial sweeteners for coffee... no calories and ants don't go near it...

Bring a few US 2 dollar bills too.... The Vietnamese consider them very lucky... and they make great inexpensive gifts...

A chamois cloth makes a great and durable sweat-rag.

Carry what you treasure.
You can even get iphone 5 in Vietnam. You mentioned you didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Tshirts and jeans are every street clothes and slipons. Check out youtube. You get a pretty good idea of the locals.
Vietnamese history go back 4,000 years!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Vietnam
There are many articles in Expat.com to prepare yourself for Vietnam. The 27 years war and American defeat is very fresh as the streets names are named after fallen heros and battles.
Remember you are a guest and behave like one.
Welcome to Vietnam.

bring a reasonable amount of cash for currency exchange as you will lose about 5% through ATM withdrawals...

panda7 wrote:

bring a reasonable amount of cash for currency exchange as you will lose about 5% through ATM withdrawals...

Declare if you are carry a sizeable amount (approx equivalent USD 10,000)

Oh yeah, speakers for your laptop/ipod.

You will want to have those if you're planning on teaching and you using your laptop/ipod as visual aid.

When I first came to Vietnam 4 years ago I brought so so so much crap and was disappointed a few days later when I found most of the same items in a shop near my house.
There are however a couple things that still buy and bring back with me when I travel back to the states.
1. OTC children's medicine, the liquid versions.
These are very hard to impossible to find. If you have ever had to grind up ibuprofen tabs for a sick or feverish child you can understand how important this is.

2. Swifter wet-jet mop
Living in a 3 story house that is 100% tile floors this is a wonderful labor savor. When I first met my wife she had never seen one and now, over the last 3 years I have had to buy 6 of them for her friends and family.

3. Clothes
I'm a little larger and wear size XXL shirts and it can be hard sometime to find larger shoes and clothes

Birth certificate, university diploma, clothes like shoes (shoes here are of poorer quality), electronic devices like iPhone/Android phones, laptops, tablets, bluetooth headset, etc.

hELLnoi wrote:

The 27 years war and American defeat is very fresh as the streets names are named after fallen heros and battles.
Welcome to Vietnam.

Hai Ba Trung, Le Loi, Le Lai, Pham Ngu Lao, Tran Hung Dao...please stop me when I get to a hero (or heroine) from the American War (that France started), okay?   Dien Bien Phu, Bui Vien, Yersin, Pastuer, 3 Thang 2...Anyone know if there's a 30 Thang 4 in TpHCM?  I've seen several in the outer boroughs.  Any major streets named after heroes or heroines of the American War?  I'd like to know if there are, out of curiosity.

RD, I figure you're here by now, but anyway...Most of the things I've seen listed are available here, if you know where to look.  The swifter-mops would be difficult.  A few years ago I would have went out looking for them, but I'll pass there days.  Never looked for the medicine either, but I'll take your word for it VTD.

$2 bills can be worth major points, especially if they're loaded with 2's.  I think it's more of a southern 'thang though, so a person could get a befuddled look if they were to give one as a gift.

Laptops are still a bit pricey, but android tablets and cell phones are readily available for 1.7 million and up.

Teacher Mark wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:

The 27 years war and American defeat is very fresh as the streets names are named after fallen heros and battles.
Welcome to Vietnam.

Hai Ba Trung, Le Loi, Le Lai, Pham Ngu Lao, Tran Hung Dao...please stop me when I get to a hero (or heroine) from the American War (that France started), okay?   Dien Bien Phu, Bui Vien, Yersin, Pastuer, 3 Thang 2...Anyone know if there's a 30 Thang 4 in TpHCM?  I've seen several in the outer boroughs.  Any major streets named after heroes or heroines of the American War?  I'd like to know if there are, out of curiosity.

They named a whole city after that guy. Ho Chi Minh
A street name is only for the locals. However, a WHOLE city, is going to tell some story to the world!
They also have his image on the polymer note.
Ask any Vietnamese and they tell you they LOVEEE Unle Ho
Different times, I guess..