Banks in Alexandria

Hi everyone, as someone who is relocating to Alexandria from Ireland next March, what Banks are available for use in Alexandria?
Also what are days and hours of business

is there a Unicredit Bank branch in Alexandria???? Thanks

Hey Spreston...Given that you are moving from Ireland, so try out the H. S. B. C. and Barclays Banks, in case you'd go for a credit facility, the first one is quite conservative (especially nowadays) and expensive, just don't sign any document before reading every point and clause, and don't hesitate to contact me in case of any question...I am a Banker :)

To Mona...to answer your question, would you please elaborate more on what do you mean by a Unicredit Bank Branch?? :)

Happy New Year for all and welcome into the Land of Pharaohs...

seif eldin wrote:

To Mona...to answer your question, would you please elaborate more on what do you mean by a Unicredit Bank Branch?? :)

Thank you seif eldin. I've just searched on the website of the Italian Bank, UniCredit and apparently they do not have a branch in Egypt, only in the Emirates. Could you please help me instead in telling me what is the most international used bank in Egypt? I mean with ATMs, branches, etc. Thank you very much.

Hi Mona and Seif,
Many thanks for the replies on this,
I have looked into HSBC but they are not based in Ireland for normal customer use, only business.
I think Barclays may be the way to go on this, all im looking for is a facility have my money paid in with use of ATM machines and also be able to wire money back to an Irish Bank

you can use the credit machines and wirte money back from any bank.

Just choose one that has more locations near to you.

Also as per the UK, etc, the debit / credit cards can be used abroad.

Nsgb has many many branches here (but they can be a pain to deal with).
Maybe the company you are working for may insist you register with a certain bank for the bank transfer of your salary.

But in any case I think you may have a little while to sort this out - as in many banks you cannot open an acocunt until you have your work permit!!

Hi Spreston, very nice talking to you. It is a subject of interest to me as I am thinking of relocation myself. KIT, Mona. I guess I will use City Bank. I've seen it in Alexandria, as I remember.

biffy wrote:

you can use the credit machines and wirte money back from any bank.

Just choose one that has more locations near to you.

Also as per the UK, etc, the debit / credit cards can be used abroad.

Nsgb has many many branches here (but they can be a pain to deal with).
Maybe the company you are working for may insist you register with a certain bank for the bank transfer of your salary.

But in any case I think you may have a little while to sort this out - as in many banks you cannot open an acocunt until you have your work permit!!

I agree with Biffy about having the Work Permit firsthand, before finding a bank to deal with...

But, when it comes to the Banks Network here, well, just to give you a small tip, as far as ATM Network: most of the Banks working in Egypt, are registered in One Network, so you don't need to have an account with the Bank that has more ATMs, yet, you'd pay a small fee, for using the Banks' Network...

If you are concerned about the fees, then again you'd need to be more caucious before signing any document with any bank...

Thank you Seif. This is why I was asking about the specific bank network because I want to sign the contract here where I can negotiate the fees and commissions based on the services used. Thanks again. Mona

mona007 wrote:
seif eldin wrote:

Thank you seif eldin. I've just searched on the website of the Italian Bank, UniCredit and apparently they do not have a branch in Egypt, only in the Emirates. Could you please help me instead in telling me what is the most international used bank in Egypt? I mean with ATMs, branches, etc. Thank you very much.

Hey Mona, feel free to call me just Seif :) and it's my pleasure to answer any question you might have about Banks and the whole financial sector in Egypt, firstly cuz it's my speciality, secondly, cuz I know quite well, how confusing one might gets, when you are not well aware of the financial services here in Egypt...

As for choosing a Bank to manage your financial position, well, you don't have to be stuck with an International Bank, Beware that CitiBank is quite expensive here, high cost for financial services as well as high interest (in case of credit facilities/credit cards) compared to other banks...

Firstly, pick up the banks' network of branches, that is in your neighborhood, then we can talk (it's kind of minimizing your options)

spreston wrote:

Hi Mona and Seif,
Many thanks for the replies on this,
I have looked into HSBC but they are not based in Ireland for normal customer use, only business.
I think Barclays may be the way to go on this, all im looking for is a facility have my money paid in with use of ATM machines and also be able to wire money back to an Irish Bank

Hello Spreston, please don't thank me for anything, it's my pleasure to share the info I have, and please feel free to ask any question you might be having...:)

You don't have to stick to the International Banks, to have a freehand in managing your cash position, whether in or out or Egypt, as most of the Banks here are having this privilidge, the key would be:

1) Location of the nearest Branch
2) Fees for the services you requires.

Keep your options opened, cuz for most of the Banks in Egypt, wire transfers and credit cards services are almost the same quality and speed, with the exception of public sector banks (government owned) and that's mainly for specific incidents.

seif eldin wrote:
mona007 wrote:
seif eldin wrote:

Hey Mona, feel free to call me just Seif :) and it's my pleasure to answer any question you might have about Banks and the whole financial sector in Egypt, firstly cuz it's my speciality, secondly, cuz I know quite well, how confusing one might gets, when you are not well aware of the financial services here in Egypt...

As for choosing a Bank to manage your financial position, well, you don't have to be stuck with an International Bank, Beware that CitiBank is quite expensive here, high cost for financial services as well as high interest (in case of credit facilities/credit cards) compared to other banks...

Firstly, pick up the banks' network of branches, that is in your neighborhood, then we can talk (it's kind of minimizing your options)

Thank you dearly, Seif. It is rather wonderful to have such nice people willing to help somebody in any situation. I definitely will take into account all your advice. THNX

I am in 6th October, and dealing with H.S.B.C. though I am working with another Bank, so far I haven't faced any problems, I think it's all about how you talk and listen with/to the Bank, and how to explain your needs...

Dear Mona...: that's so sweet of you, but please it is my deep pleasure to answer any question, isn't that one of the reasons why we are all here...:)
Again, please feel free to contact me for any financial issue, as well as for any question, I'd love to help whenever I could be of any help...Take a good care of yourself, and just keep on your mind that somewhere the Expat Society is full of willing to help people just like others who might be having a hidden agendas...lol

HSBC is a rather expensive bank regarding fees as far as I know. I have been living in England for two years and their commissions and fees, well.... compared to other banks...expensive, but it was an imposed bank at that time.

Hi Seif,

Many thanks, you have been most helpful on this,
I am moving to Borg El Arab City, if anyone has anyinfo on this area it would be very much appreciated.

Again, i am grateful for all your help and support.

I would recommend CIB

ExpEgypt wrote:

I would recommend CIB

Mona thanking again!:)