Learn norwegian

Hello everybody...

I am from IRAN. I am going to go to OSLO and I want to stay there for about 6 mounth, since oslo is an expensive city, I am looking for the fastest and cheapest way to learn norwegian language...!
Can anyone help me to find the best way?

Thanks...!

Hello alireza.rezvani.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélir

Hello,

I took classes, but I found what helped me most was reading the newspapers. Just sitting with Google Translate and a dictionary and reading through the articles helped me a lot. And it's something you can start straight away. A lot of the words and the grammar are similar to English, so you should be able to get something out of reading these articles. You could try looking at:

www.nrk.no (This is the state broadcaster, and some articles will be written in New Norwegian (Nynorsk). Most writing in Norway is in Bokmål)
www.ap.nowww.db.nowww.vg.no

You could also buy the books they use to teach Norwegian, På Vei.

David

Hello dear david and thank you for your useful advices...!

I find it quite useful to listen to the news on TV, radio, etc. as the speech there is relatively clear and without slang terms and similar. But then of course you don't understand people in the pub :D. Anyway, this klartale.no website is dedicated to learning norwegian. You can read and/or listen to the news, spoken particularly easy to understand.

Alireza: Do you want to learn Norwegian before you go to Oslo or during your stay? I know there are places where you can learn the language for free, but I am not 100% everyone is eligable. Try to send an email to Oslo Kommune, that means Oslo City Council, their website is here:

oslo.kommune.no/english/

On their website is also relevant information in English for foreigners.

University of Oslo I believe do also offer Norwegian language courses, but for that you need to contact them too - they might only accept students at their university, but it should be free for all.

Danish-Norwegian-Swedish are similiar so if you come across any of those language classes then go for it.

Thank you, I will send them an E-mail and will share the result with you...thank you again for all your helps...!

Alireza: No worries man

There is also  www.nav.no which is a website with very useful information for foreigners, just click the English flag so its in English and there is a section called Foreigners in Norway to the left.

The website also works as an employment site, it is an official site

I'm surprised there's no online Norwegian course! There are far fewer Icelandic speakers in the world and there is still a very good free online course that covers several levels.

I'm working often with Norwegians and it would be great to learn some of the language but I live in Iceland so courses are hard to find.

Thanks a lot man, all of the links were very useful...! I am reading the diffrent parts of websites...

Ecs: you are right... I searched for online norwegian courses but didn't find any...

Hi! have you guys heard learnnorwegian.no? thanks