Job interview in Amsterdam

I live in the U.S. and have been approached by a company in Amsterdam. I've had a phone interview which went well, and they're asking me for possible dates to fly me out for the in-person interview.

I've never been to Amsterdam, but all my friends who have rave about it.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1. The job is a software engineering position. My salary will probably be in the €50,000 to €60,000 range. I understand the tax rate to be 42%. However, at easyexpat.com I came across this:

Expats can expect a tax relief in the form of the 30 Percent Ruling. This is a personal income tax reduction for specialized foreign employees whose skills are scarce in the Dutch marketplace.

The 30 Percent Ruling compensates employees for the extra costs of their temporary stay in the Netherlands. It allows an employer to pay an employee a tax-free allowance of up to 30 percent of the employee's total remuneration (the "Basis") for the first 10 years of their stay in the Netherlands.

I don't know if my job qualifies for this. But if they are looking to hire from outside the Netherlands, I suspect it might.

2. Do I still have to pay U.S. federal taxes? Or is there a double-tax treaty between the U.S. and the Netherlands?

Thank you very much.

Hi

yes there is a treaty between US and Netherlands. You can read about it here:
http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/arti … 00000231EN

I know that as a U.S. Citizen (or Green Card holder) you are liable for your world-wide income (as that is the case with my wife). I am not sure if that agreement means that you do not have to file a tax return.

As to the 30% facility it is something that you can apply for (together with your new employer) at Belastingdienst (which is the Dutch IRS). You can read about it here:
http://www.belastingdienst.nl/variabel/ … s-108.html

It is recommended that you get it in writing (that your employer will pay 30% of your salary under the 30% facility) in your contract.

as an american, you have to file for both u.s. and dutch taxes, but i think we get an $80,000 exemption....it's like 80 or 90.....my cpa gave me the info. but basically you file both and then probably expempt form US taxes and only pay dutch taxes... there is my limited knowledge on the subject so far.

If you want professional information on this, check with worldwidebroker, ask for Paul Brown and tell him Roger van Gerwen sent you his details. He might be able to give you some free information on this. They're a commercial company but I'm pretty sure you'll get this information without an issue.