Cost of living in muscat

i just want to know what is cost of living in muscat for 2 people.my company pay 950 omr.is it suffiencent for 2 persons.what is cost of

2 bhk flat( fully furnished,not furnished)
food
water/electricity
internet
utilities
entertainment.

plz guys help me.i just want to know each and everthing before shift there.waiting for u'rs reply

thanx

Hi sumita123,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

I would also suggest you to have a look at the Muscat forum > cost of living. You may find some useful info there.

Best of luck,
Christine

I completely disagree with the # of 2,500.  950 is good pay to start with. I mentioned below the cost by category.

2 bhk flat( fully furnished,not furnished) 250-600 (depends on area. Decent flat rent is 350)
food - 100 Max - you can do it in less too.
water/electricity - 10-20
internet - 3-20
utilities - ??
entertainment. Depends on you.

sumita123 wrote:

i just want to know what is cost of living in muscat for 2 people.my company pay 950 omr.is it suffiencent for 2 persons.what is cost of

2 bhk flat( fully furnished,not furnished)
food
water/electricity
internet
utilities
entertainment.

plz guys help me.i just want to know each and everthing before shift there.waiting for u'rs reply

thanx

Hi sumita123,

If your company would take care of your furnished accommodation, then R.O. 950/- per month salary towards the maintenance and upkeep of 2 should easily suffice.

A big part of your income would go for your accommodation. The figure would increase or decrease depending on the location, the age of the building and the condition / maintenance of the apartment you choose.

For example, a new, unfurnished apartment in an upmarket neighborhood would set you back by about R.O. 400/- to  R.O. 550/- per month.

Furnishing the house to the barest minimum would be a one-time expense of about R.O. 1,000/- at the least.

Food for 2 shouldn't cost over R.O. 150/- per month, maximum.

Water / Electricity cost would be around R.O. 20/- per month.

Internet – Unlimited downloads – for 1 month is R.O. 20/-.

Entertainment – Movie Ticket is about R.O. 3/- per head. Eating out can be as expensive or as economical as you wish, given the vast array of options available.

Going by my calculations, even after paying a monthly rent of R.O. 400/- per month, you should be able to save about R.O. 300/- per month.

Good luck !

hi sumita,

regarding your query,

2bhk fully furnished in between 450 to 600
W I furnish - 350 to 450 in good cities if if you go far from city you can get like the range of 200 to 350.

Food : average 60 to 80 OMR
E & W - 20 to 30 OMR
Net - it differs but normal 20 OMR

the life is pieceful in oman, the normal Technical staff salary in private sector is 500 to 800 only.

all kind os expense are depends how you leave....

god bless you and take care

if you need any more information please send email to [email protected] or call me 00968 96371601

hi there,

I got a job offer in muscat  for 290 OMR + Incentives for the post of senior sales officer (car sales), while all the other expenses like accommodation , food , transport , utility bills will we paid by the company.
   I would like to know what is the average incentive that can be earned in this field. and what can i save from it and also i am a bachelor.

Hi, I hv been offered a job in auto industry for 590 RO/mth + fully furnished flat + company leased car. I wanted to know the current cost of utilities like bread, milk, eggs, n other basic items. Are they as comparable to Mumbai?
Thanks.

nikhel wrote:

Hi, I hv been offered a job in auto industry for 590 RO/mth + fully furnished flat + company leased car. I wanted to know the current cost of utilities like bread, milk, eggs, n other basic items. Are they as comparable to Mumbai?
Thanks.

Hi nikhel,

Dahabi White Bread - 750gms - 0.600 Baizas

Al Marai Long Shelf Life Full Cream Milk - 4x1 Liter - R.O. 1.425

Dana Jumbo Eggs - 6-in-a-Carton - 0. 525 Baizas

For more on costs, read the various other posts in the forum.

Sumitran wrote:
nikhel wrote:

Thanks.

Hi nikhel,

Al Marai Long Shelf Life Milk - 4x1 Liter - R.O. 1.425

Thanks sir

Sumitran wrote:
nikhel wrote:

Thanks.

Hi nikhel,

Al Marai Long Shelf Life Full Cream Milk - 4x1 Liter - R.O. 1.425

Mr. Sumitran...  Please expedite what do u do in Oman ? :D

nikhel wrote:
Sumitran wrote:
nikhel wrote:

Thanks.

Hi nikhel,

Al Marai Long Shelf Life Milk - 4x1 Liter - R.O. 1.425

Thanks sir

Hi, Also wld like to know if ter is any website to check the Blackberry services.

http://www.omantel.om/OmanWebLib/Busine … &MenuId=19

Sumitran wrote:

http://www.omantel.om/OmanWebLib/Business/Mobile/BlackBerry.aspx?LinkID=2&MenuId=19

Hi Sumitran sir,

Just wanted your advise. I got a call y'day from the HR dept saying tat they are in receipt of my employment visa. Is it safe to quit my current organisation now, or shld I ask them to mail me  copy of the visa before tendering my resignation (to be sure). Wld ter be any other process still left? (The HR dept has told me tat now I can resign from my current company). Pls advise.
Thanks.

Hi nikhel,

In any case your company in Muscat has to send you a scanned copy of your 'Employment Visa' - for you to be able to exit India, and to enter Oman.

Until and unless you see your employment visa and make sure that all is correct, DO NOT ever resign from your present job.

Let HR say whatever they want, but insist on seeing your employment visa first before you can give in your resignation.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Best wishes !

Sumitran wrote:

Hi nikhel,

In any case your company in Muscat has to send you a scanned copy of your 'Employment Visa' - for you to be able to exit India, and to enter Oman.

Until and unless you see your employment visa and make sure that all is correct, DO NOT ever resign from your present job.

Let HR say whatever they want, but insist on seeing your employment visa first before you can give in your resignation.

Best wishes !

Thanks sir, I was of the same opinion and u endorsed it, Thanks

nikhel wrote:
Sumitran wrote:

Hi nikhel,

Best wishes !

Thanks sir, I was of the same opinion and u endorsed it, Thanks

Hi Sumitran Sir,
Thanks for ur advice, they hv just scan me the entry visa for employment.
Thanks.

Quoting your present salary makes sense to reply. e.g. if you are offered 1000 RO, but are already earning 12 lakhs (which a 30+ qualified IT/Engineer/MBA) earn these days- then no point taking the trouble of making a shift for no real salary difference.
Ideally speaking, as Senior memebr Sumitran says- a qualified MBA/IT/Engineer of mid 30s family person should quote at least 2000/2500 RO as gross salary. Not less.