Renting an Apartment in Cameroon

I've been told that in order to rent an apartment in Cameroon, not only do you have to pay the rent for the entire lease period (e.g. six months) in advance, but also have to pay what we in the States call a "security deposit" that is equal to half the rent paid for the lease period.  How true is this and do you have any official supporting documentation?

Hello ChanTwo.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some responses from other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

Hello ChanTwo.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some responses from other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I hope so, too.  Trying to find information to independently verify what I'm being told has been next to impossible.  Not even the American Embassy in Yaounde or the Cameroon Embassy in Washington, DC have been willing to respond to my request for information.  What are Cameroonians trying to hide?

There is no fixed answer to your question. The situation varies from landlord to landlord. First the government does not control rents, so the landlord decides what he thinks should be the rent and what security deposit he shuld ask for. Secondly, and most important it boils down to negotiation between prospective tenant and landlord. Hope this helps.

So, what it comes down to is that there are no standards with regard to renting apartments.

Have you accepted your position and moved to Cameroon?

It appears the job turned out to be a scam.