Looking for work in Saigon - agency or own job search?

Hi,

I've been offered by an agency in Vietnam to help me find a job in Saigon for $200. Alternatively, I can just go online and do my own job search and contact the learning centres directly or wait until I'm in Vietnam to do the actual job search.

What is the better option in term of securing the best working conditions, employment benefits and salary?

Thank you for reading my post and I hope to hear your feedback.

Cheers.

About me: Asian (half Chinese, half Viet), University of Technology Sydney graduate in B. Business, work experience in banking, stockbroking and tourism, looking to move back to Saigon in February or March 2013.

They'll promise anything, even the moon, for MONEY!

Check your PM, I gave you a link - DO NOT PAY!

PM sent!

This is gold, thank you so much. I will do my own job search. Do you think that it will be better to look for and secure a job before I arrive in Vietnam or should I just look when I'm over there already? I'm not cash-strapped so I have a few weeks or a month to look, just whichever will secure the most advantageous terms.

Cheers,

Justin

Hi

I've just sent you a message. How old are you now? You can search jobs in the website vietnamwork.com etc. It is for free and you may find good jobs ..

BTW, check my message.

Cheers
Tam (Ms.)

Hi guys,

Thank you to all those who read my postings and special thanks to those who replied and/or sent me private messages. I'm able to reply to you all individually as I'm at work but I'll sure do when I get home.

And to those who are wondering, I can understand, write (not good) and speak Vietnamese (thought I wouldn't consider it my first language) and I have a family home in D1, Saigon so accommodation is not a problem. =)

Hi,

Agency job search in Vietnam is free, as far as I know from looking for jobs my self and having friends working at those agencies.
A quick google search will help you find out several agencies offering job searching service, and they will help negotiate better salary for you as well.

With that said, If you are confident at your negotiation skills and have done your research on the Vietnamese job market and salary level..., I think you would do well looking for jobs on your own. Vietnamworks.com and Careerlink.vn are the two most popular job sites, and there are more out there, even expat forums like this one offer opportunities for something fun and exciting to do here in Vietnam.

Best of luck to you.

There are many job agencies like that in Vietnam now. Because it's the easy way to make money. Some ppl may get a good job through it but
that's a scam. Just search online by yourself or ask Vietnamese friends you have. Good luck! 

Chi

anhhoaile1 wrote:

Agency job search in Vietnam is free, as far as I know from looking for jobs my self and having friends working at those agencies.

Nothing in life is 'free' especially in VN! (Except the smiles)

Jaitch wrote:
anhhoaile1 wrote:

Nothing in life is 'free' especially in VN! (Except the smiles)

You are right, there's no free lunch; however, there are agencies providing free services to job seekers, and they charge a high premium to the employers, say, 2 or 3 months salary of a position (in my case, I was looking to hire a manager for my father's company, that's how I know it is free for the applicant). All job search websites I know of have free service for applicants, my girl friend got a job with a big international company through Vietnamworks, no money spent. Lets hope our friend in this post does not have to spend money for any agency to get a good job

Thank you for your help, guys. Can you recommend any equal-opportunity employer in Vietnam where a Viet Kieu is not discrimated against or treated as an inferior compared to a white person?

Thanks

Just A Guy wrote:

Thank you for your help, guys. Can you recommend any equal-opportunity employer in Vietnam where a Viet Kieu is not discriminated against or treated as an inferior compared to a white person?

VN is one of the most equal opportunity countries around.

It is also enshrined in law.

VK's actually have a better chance since hirers think there is some magic potion at work overseas. But that feeling ceases as soon as you talk money!

LOL it would be great if you can clarify the last bit for me. =)

Also, the law is one thing but the reality is different. And as far as I know, there are different laws for different types of people.

Just A Guy wrote:

Thank you for your help, guys. Can you recommend any equal-opportunity employer in Vietnam where a Viet Kieu is not discrimated against or treated as an inferior compared to a white person?

Thanks

I'm afraid this is too specific of a question... some might think working for Company A was a godsend, others don't. I say VK has an edge over foreigners as they probably (not always) command Vietnamese better, and also a better understanding of the culture (again, not always). As far as being treated equal, I agree with Jaitch, it's not going to be a huge concerns, unless I am too ignorance of such facts.

Again, good luck with your job search.