Number of days allowed on a business visa in Peru

Hello Friends,

I am holding a Indian passport and was given a business Visa valid for 183 days in San Francisco on 30th Apr.

I entered Lima-Peru on 20th Sept. The Immigration card has "NEG-90" mentioned on it.

So till which date am I legitimately allowed to stay in Peru ?

1) 30th Apr (Visa issue date) + 183 days (Visa validity days) ?
2) 20th Sept (entered into Peru) + 90 days (mentioned on the immigration card) ?

Any help will be really appreciated. I Am not able to find a clear answer.

Thanks,
Suds

Hi Suds!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Although the visa is for 183 days, the immigration officer at the airport has the discretion to grant a lesser time.

To get 183 days you have to ask and probably explain why. Once I was told "the screen" would only allow 90 days" but when leaving an official told me that if this happens again to ask for the shift supervisor.  The next 2 trips, I just immediately told the officer that I needed 183 days and it was granted with out question.

Although I no longer need a business visa as I have residency (Carnet de Extraneria), I have the "183 day plague" ; only mine is reversed... maximum absence from Peru I am told is 183 days cumulative during a 12 month period.  Counting these days is a real pain and I do not use Apple computers; only Android and Windows.  I had been told at the Digemin counters, that foreigners with Carnet ID cards have this restriction.  Checking with a Lima, attorney he confirmed that this has been the policy for quite some time.  Then, recently when leaving Peru, I asked the official at the airport about it.  The lady looked at my file on her computer and said I had no such restriction, only that my Carnet would need to be reissued after 5 years.

Perhaps this a little off topic, as it does not concern visas but residency.  Anyway, if anyone can report what they have found on this subject it would be enlightening.  Thanks.