Meet-up / BBQ - any interest?

I am arriving in HCMC Sep 17 (8th visit) and plan to bring some good USA ribeye steaks to grill out (do this most times I visit). Anyone interested in a BBQ? You provide the place / grill ... I'll bring the steaks! Maybe a small Expat meet-up ... Should have enough steaks for 10-12 people ... Let me know; I fly out on Sat the 15th.

Just so you know.... it's illegal to bring in meat or produce from another country into Vietnam...

I have brought in steaks several times and customs has  x-ray'd my bag and never said anything. I guess they could confiscate them if they decided they were not allowed. I did notice that the customs declaration form that I used to fill out is no longer used. Last Aug and last Jan, I did not have to 'declare' anything ... no more form (used to have to declare my laptop and then show it again on the way out).

Also, my uncle from Australia alwyas brings Australian beef with him ... sad to admit, but I think the Australian  beef is actually better than the US beef ... bu I'll never admit that to him :cool:

Saigon Visitor wrote:

sad to admit, but I think the Australian  beef is actually better than the US beef ... :cool:

Agree... It is good ...however nothing compares to Iowa corn fed beef...:)

I also admit to previously bring steaks into Indonesia because I swear their beef had Reebok stamped on it...;)

johnnywastaken wrote:

Agree... It is good ...however nothing compares to Iowa corn fed beef...:)

Well, I ordered a 'wet aged' prime boneless ribeye (complete) from my local butcher ... Not sure it will be 'corn fed' but I think it will be quite good. He said it will be between 15-16 pounds so you are welcome to join us (so far only 3 people including me) ... hope to get 12-15 maybe a few more if we use 'local' serving sizes instead 'Fat A$$ American' serving sizes :lol:.

Count me in.... Thank you..:)

Please let me know if I can bring anything...
On that note.... was wondering if you could be so kind...as to bring me two small bottles of "Visine" eye drops from the US and I'll reimburse you..?
The pollution here gets to me and Visine is impossible to find...
Thanks and Cheers, :)

johnnywastaken wrote:

On that note.... was wondering if you could be so kind...as to bring me two small bottles of "Visine" eye drops from the US and I'll reimburse you..?

Sure, I'll bring some Visine ... you don't have to reimburse me ... now if you need me to bring a Maybach or a Mercedes, I'll probably need to be reimbursed! ;)

Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you my VN number when I arrive and get one.

I have a house in district 7 has a small yard ( Normal house ) enough for 12 person .

Thanks ... That might be a good option. Do you know where we could get/rent/borrow a grill to cook on? If you can send me your contact info by message, I will contact you upon arrival ... We can get a list of all who wish to attend and make solid plans.

Thank you again for the very kind offer to use your yard.

John

Hi Saigon Visitor, you can rent a place with grills to cook on the yard in Van Thanh. The price is VND400,000 (US$20)/family (10 persons) with a grill, table, chairs (except for Sat and Sun., the price will be double). You will have to bring food and other things to hold a party etc. For further info., you can call (84-8) 35 123 026. My friends often rent this place but not me. I also want to join with my sister and a friend (3 persons) if we are available on the fixed day. Tks

Tam and Saigon Visitor ,
I think that place Van Thanh is good ,but hopefully it will not rain and flood  I and my friend will pay the rental and will bring plastic plats ; forks ; spoons ; glasses .

That sounds good. Where is Van Thanh? I will arrive on Monday,  then we can start to choose a day that is good for everyone. I will get a VN mobile number when I arrive and send everyone the number.

Hi I wanna join also
pls drop me inbox to inform details of meeting later
we will bring drinks

Saigon Visitor wrote:

That sounds good. Where is Van Thanh? I will arrive on Monday,  then we can start to choose a day that is good for everyone. I will get a VN mobile number when I arrive and send everyone the number.

Address: 48/10 Dien Bien Phu Street, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City

If you know where The Manor is, it's behind it.

http://www.tenmiendep.vn/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/VanThanh1.jpg

http://apartmentforlease.com.vn/media/images/vanthanh.jpg

Video clip of Van Thanh Park

Depending on when, I like to join. Van Thanh Park is close to me.

Hi Saigon Visitor, can I take my children (2 kids) with us? One is 10yrs old and one is 4 yrs old?

Tam290711 wrote:

Hi Saigon Visitor, can I take my children (2 kids) with us? One is 10yrs old and one is 4 yrs old?

Absolutely. And I think the idea of Van Thanh park sounds good, but I think we will need 2 tables (20 people) ... might need to get more steaks :lol:

I will arrive Monday and I will send everyone my VN mobile number. Then perhaps a few of us can meet somewhere and work out the details.

Hi

When you arrive, you should directly contact Van Thanh park to make sure when you can rent a place.

BTW, do we share anything with you or how much do we pay for the steak?

Cheers
Tam

Tam290711 wrote:

Hi

BTW, do we share anything with you or how much do we pay for the steak?

Tam

Steaks are on me ... you share good company and conversation ... just thought it would be more fun to eat with new friends than alone!

I would like to join. I'll bring champaign and sausages.
I think a list of more food here and see who's willing to take along, otherwise we will run out of food and drinks soon :)
1. Steak ( Saigon visit)+ anyone else?
2.Sausages (me) + anyone else?
3. Chicken
4. Salad
5. Sandwiches and breads
6. Champaign (me, 1 bottle) + anyone else
7. Coke + fruit juice
8. Any more ?
And then we'll list people attending.
Decide the meeting day and time and see if it works for most of us.

This thread is so mouth watering, I wish i was there to join in - sounds like fun :P:lol:

Enjoy your "Meat" up / BBQ ;):P

Ok all, it looks like this is really starting to come together!:cheers: I picked up the beef today! I will fly tomorrow and arrive Monday (mid-day); once I arrive I will begin to contact everyone.

Can everyone who is interested please send me a message telling me: (Title your message 'BBQ Contact Info' so I can organize them)
1) How many people in your group will attend?
2) What is the best day of the week for you? Second choice?
3) If you agree on Van Thanh park or if you have other suggestions?
4) A contact phone number for me to call/text upon arrival.

I think this has really grown and I am looking forward to a great time ... final planning should come together once I am actually there. Someone earlier asked about kids ... I say, bring them along (no reason to leave them out of the fun).

I think I found Van Thanh park on Google Earth ... is there a swimming pool there? Is it for public use? This may become a semi-full day picnic event!

Ok, talk with everyone soon ... send those messages and also keep posting ideas/suggestions on here.

John

Hi

I have sent my contact phone number. I will bring "kim chi". Yes, there is a swimming pool in Van Thanh. However, it is raining a lot in HCMC on these days and the weather is very cool, be aware of this when you choose a day, time and place. Hope this event will be joyful.

See you!

Hi again

Here is the list:
1. Saigon Visitor (host)
2. Tam290711 (will take 4 pax, to be confirmed)
3. Mylan Nguyen
4. Johnnywastaken
5. duyvt2408
6. jazzy851
7. Boorin87
8. Phi Long

Pls add on the list if I count sth wrong.

Cheers

Hi all,

I have some experience about Van Thanh. This is a very nice place for BBQ parties and many people love this kind. That's why it takes us at least one month earlier to book and deposit for the place :)

Hi again

Here is the list:
1. Saigon Visitor (host)
3. Mylan Nguyen
4. Johnnywastaken
5. duyvt2408
6. jazzy851
7. Boorin87
8. Phi Long

Cheers

@Tam290711 - I would really loved to have joined in this Meet up /BBQ, thanks for the invite but i cannot be there as i'm in Bahrain. :(:sosad:

Seems like its gonna be a good event. Enjoy your meetup. :)

@ Phi Long - Nice pics of Van Thanh Park - looks like a really nice and cool place :D

Have a nice BBQ :happy:

Jaz :cool:

Tam 29072011 wrote :
Hi again

Here is the list:
1. Saigon Visitor (host)
3. Mylan Nguyen
4. Johnnywastaken
5. duyvt2408
6. jazzy851
7. Boorin87
8. Phi Long

Hi Saigon Visitor and Tam
MyLan Nguyen and 2 female friends
You can count 3 on us .
MyLan

Hi Jaz

Its so funny that I have added you on the list while you are in Bahrain. Will update you with pix later on.

Cheers

@ Tam290711 - Dont worry, I would have loved to have joined in if i was in the region. Sounds like its gonna be a fun get together. :happy:

Pls do update me with the pics - :D

Jaz :cool:

Hi all,

Actually I was sucessfully booking a tent in Van Thanh over 1 month ago, and my date to use that place is this Sep 22, 8am - 6pm. And it is supposed to be our small BBQ party for reunion.

However, if you guys found no place for your BBQ party, I'm please to share my place in Van Thanh on Sep 22. It would be a bit less space in the tent (our group has more than 10 people already), but there are still lots of space outside with wooden benchs, table, fresh air and grassland. (Benchs & table are belong to us also)

And in case of raining, our record was 25 person in that tent hiding from rain. Nothing is impossible ;)

My yahoo ID is quynhnhd, contact me there if you found this idea interesting

Quynh

PS: We have some interesting kinds of seafood for this party :)

Quynh NHD wrote:

I'm please to share my place in Van Thanh on Sep 22.

That is a very nice offer. You are of course welcome to join us all ... Maybe we can try and book an additional space ... If not, we can try and all fit in 1 big party!

Is Sep 22nd (Saturday) good for most people? Please respond and let me know.

I am getting on my flight soon so I will be out of touch for awhile.

John

Yes, 22 Sep on this Sat

Saigon Visitor wrote:

Maybe we can try and book an additional space ... If not, we can try and all fit in 1 big party!

I'm looking forward, sounds interesting :) I will bring some special mooncakes for desert.

I'm ok with sep 22, I think we should start early around 3pm for BBQ

How can i join with you? Is it late for me?

Hi kientrung.tran

No, its not late. Welcome!

I think we should start earlier, maybe in the morning and then we can stay longer if possible. Hopefully it will not rain when we depart.

See you all!

Tam290711 wrote:

Hi kientrung.tran

No, its not late. Welcome!

I think we should start earlier, maybe in the morning

No.... impossible to drink baba's and Johnny Walker... at 0900...

Dear Tam290711
Thanks.
Count me on your list, please and tell me how to contact with this group. I think we should meet together to discuss about the party before it happens. And maybe i will bring breads. Do we need?
Hope to join with you.

Hi kientrung.tran

As said by Saigon Visitor, you can drop him a message with yr mobile phone so that he can contact you when he arrives.

OR, you all can pm me yr mobile numbers, I will make a list and inform everybody about this.

Cheers
Tam

Tam290711 wrote:

I think we should start earlier, maybe in the morning and then we can stay longer if possible.

Yes, start in the morning is better. We can use the place from 8am - 6pm.

There's more space for you guys, some members of my group can't join that day, so we has just 6-7 person, not 10 as I said yesterday :)