Can i carry medicines from my home country to Oman?

Hi,

I will be taking up an employment in Oman some time soon. I have been on Dilantin (anti-convulsant) for past 15 years. Is Dilatin available over the counter in Oman? Can I carry sufficient amount of Dilantin capsules when i fly to Oman? Any restrictions or regulations? Precautions to be taken. Expert Advice required. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum DeepPurple!

I hope the forum members will be able to give you useful answers.

Regards
Armand

DeepPurple wrote:

Hi,

I will be taking up an employment in Oman some time soon. I have been on Dilantin (anti-convulsant) for past 15 years. Is Dilatin available over the counter in Oman? Can I carry sufficient amount of Dilantin capsules when i fly to Oman? Any restrictions or regulations? Precautions to be taken. Expert Advice required. Thanks.

Hi DeepPurple,

I do not mean to scare you, but carrying large quantities of medicines is prohibited in the Sultanate of Oman – for obvious reasons.

It could be misconstrued as drug pedalling which is a serious offence and is treated as a crime. And, your Indian doctor's prescription may not be very helpful in convincing the Omani Airport Customs Officials.

It would be best for you to come with the minimum required supply of the medicines for your immediate requirements. On your arrival meet a local doctor and get a fresh, local prescription.

Be warned the cost of medicines here will be much more than it is in India, so make sure your company foots all your medical bills.

I don't know if the medicine which you've mentioned is available here. But barring the basic analgesics, most drugs will be given only on a Ministry of Health registered Doctor's prescription only.

The brand names of the medicines would vary although the ingredients would remain the same. Invariably the names of the medicines available in India would not be the same as the ones which you'll get here, even though they may contain the same chemicals. So your “Dilantin” will be called something else here.

Good luck.