Hello to all on this forum. My name is Elek Klopfer and I am 53 years old. Born on 25th March 1958 and lived and raise in South Australia all my life, by wonderful and caring Hungarian parents. I have been to Budapest but only in late 1981 and see that by reading all the info how much has changed. I now no longer have any living relatives alive here SA, but have an aunty living in Budapest and so dissalusioned with life in general would like to now see what life has to offer in my parents home country and Europe. I am fortunate in that I can speak just about fluent Hungarian but alas can not read or write it.
I would like to get some advice from members who have moved to where I should start? I am on a pension due to an injury and as such will be at least getting an Australian pension to live on, but I am also a computer tech and have many handyman and mechanical experience. I wish to meet others living in Hungary anf make new friends and travel. So I do hope to see many from the forum in hopefully my new home soon.
Thanks to all for taking the time in reading about me, and as they say, Szia soon.

:-):)

Welcome Elek!
If I get it right, you are living in SA, but seriously thinking about or even decided to move to Budapest?
Regarding making ends meet, I would expect living costs in Budapest to be roughly 50% or more below that of an Australian town, the 'countryside'(=not budapest) is still cheaper, and not necessarily less pleasant. (its an educated guess, I have only visited perth, melbourne and sidney years ago)
Of course Hungary would be glad seeing you to spend some money in our economy:)

Hi , I am Carlo D.
Personal and group Instructor living in Budapest.
we can meet for a coffee after Septemner 19 .
szia.

[email protected]

Hello and welcome!

Does your injury require constant medical attention or treatment? I mean I don't need to know, you need to consider if you can put up with the Hungarian level of medical services.

If you have connections in the Australian IT market, you could arrange work for Hungarian software development shops and get a nice percentage.

Also I am sure the ladies here will love your accent :-)

Thanks for the welcomes. My injury only now requires certain medication, which I have found to be available thankfully in Hungary. Its mainly pain medication due to a severe back injury.
Looking forward to meeting all people.and my accent.............well...........I may think my Hungarian will be the butt of many a laugh as it is only learnt from my parents, and watching many Hungarian programs in Australia it does leave me scratching my head at times at what is being said, but I should pick up the "lingo" hopefully fairly quick.
My training in IT is more on the hardware side of it all not software, but that in itself is a talent I have found. Maybe I could help some to learn the English/Australian language.
Thanks again all................:)

Aries25au wrote:

I would like to get some advice from members who have moved to where I should start? I am on a pension due to an injury and as such will be at least getting an Australian pension to live on, but I am also a computer tech and have many handyman and mechanical experience. I wish to meet others living in Hungary anf make new friends and travel. So I do hope to see many from the forum in hopefully my new home soon.....

If you move to Hungary, I would suggest not burning your bridges back in Australia and being cautious. If you have a house, rent it out rather than sell, rent an apartment in Hungary and see how it goes. Even though you are of Hungarian origin, and have the language, it is a very different country to Australia and things do not work the same (if they work at all). The economics are quite bad in Hungary but quite a lot more positive in Australia.  You might get very fed up here, especially during the long winter, which soon will be upon us.  You might want to go back or split your time between countries and take advantage of the opportunities in both locations.

Aries25au wrote:

I may think my Hungarian will be the butt of many a laugh

I think you will find most Hungarians are completely delighted when anyone speaks even a little Hungarian. So you may already be ahead of many expats here, and will be warmly embraced. So don't let language skill deter you.

Yes, it is true there are some bureaucratic/political hurdles here, but in the warmth and kindness you will experience from every day Hungarians, these are easily forgotten. (But of course I live in the countryside.... and in a wine region... so that may also have something to do with my perspective.... ;))