Advice for those looking for a job

To all those looking for a job in Egypt...

Well...guys...a couple of advice that would save you time and perhaps give you a chance to be considered for a vacancy.

1. Do not write general posts looking for a job, like you are desperate.
    Professional people post adds in classified or are actively searching for companies
    that are recruiting and send them their CV. Requesting work in a general forum might
    suggest that your experience in the job market is limited. This is not the way to get hired.

2. If you claim to have plenty of years of experience in your field, why don't you apply
    such knowledge and use strategies to find vacancies? General forums are not the way...
    This might reflect very bad on you.

3. Please make sure the picture in your profile looks professional and friendly... yes friendly, but
    not that much!!! Guys lying on the beach or wearing sunglasses, or making funny expressions
    might give the wrong impression to perspective employers.

4. Focus on jobs that you can really do. Sometime unemployed people are ready for anything and
    write profiles or CV that are so general, that employers are simply put down. Reinventing yourself
    does not imply lying or going for a position you have no chance to get.

5. Look at your potential and what you have to offer and why somebody should hire you.
    If you cannot find a job for a long period of time, rather go for an internship with a good
    company. this might help you in getting a job later on. Don't just waste time with friends or
    watching TV.

6. The CV you send in is representing you. Do not write that you are very meticulous and have an
     eye for details, and good IT skills and you cannot keep basic formatting. Don't say that you are
     fluent or good in English and then your CV is full of grammar and spelling mistakes. I'm saying
     this because I bin most of the CVs I get due to these reasons.

7. FINAL: Looking for work is a job in itself!! Practise and learn from your mistakes.
    Effort and dedication, accompanied by some strategic thinking always bring result.

: )

:one

Nice stuff

I forgot an additional point !

If you are looking for employment, and you wish for an opportunity, please be direct, especially with western expatriates. Professional people will show empathy and might give you a chance.

I do not know about other cultures, but we are quite direct and hate people approaching in a sneaky way. It may be the case that in Egypt you go all around before disclosing your real intent, and you might consider this 'discretion', but foreigners can take it as deception.

Do not use this technique with a foreign employer. You will never walk through that door again.

great advice! :one

I am adding points as I read CVs by Egyptians.

Point 9:

Please read the ad carefully. Do not just send your CV off like this for any position. This show lack of care and determination to do that particular job.

Secondly, follow exactly the requirements of the ad. If the ad says to send a CV and a cover letter, why you only send the CV? If you do not understand an English term, google it, rather than doing half of the task required.

This is a general problem in this country. It is very hard for people to follow instructions as they are.
They think that following half instruction is ok. They initially start to follow the rule, then at the first difficulty they try shortcuts, or their own speculations. If you tell them off, they think you are unfair or simply a slaver. One needs to hire an engineer to do the work of a secretary.

Point 10:

Do not lie about your qualifications, especially when it is highlighted that they will be verified.
How can people be graduate of the American University in Cairo and their CVs is full of grammatical errors? Graduate means you have a Bachelor degree with or without honours. A course or a diploma is not a degree, and the HR Manager is no fool!

If the job sets years of experience as requirement, do not apply if you are a fresh graduate !!!

Please read the ad. Again, please read the ad. And one more time, pleeeeaaase....read the ad before applying.

Thank you.

:up::one

POINT 11

If you are disappointed about not getting the job, do not become aggressive !!

In my opinion, many Egyptians have difficulties controlling their emotions in the workplace.
Aggressive behaviour towards mangers and even customers are not uncommon.
This is not only unprofessional, but also very unislamic.

I haven't seen this behaviour in other arabs before, it seems to be specific to Egyptians, both men and women. The aggressive / defensive behaviour is often accompanied by twisting of words and situations to one's advantage or defence.

Basically, they cannot be caught on fault. This send them in a state of total emotional frustration, and low self-esteem, that brings up the aggressive trait.

When such behaviour is systematic it signals the sickness of a a society, and the need to regenerate one's values and conduct.

I'm almost giving up the hope of finding some people for the job vacancy. Egyptians complain of high unemployment rates, but we have difficulties finding skilled workers who are committed to their work. I am saying this while knowing of other professionals who are looking for employees, but cannot find a suitable candidate. All the CVs are binned, as they do not even comply with the requirements of a standard CV.