VIETNAM FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

Apples at the Co-op are, in HCM anyway, pretty expensive, especially the red ones.
So we opt for native fruits.

Bazza,

Yea, the red ones are really expensive at the Co-op too!

You can relax.   I have a Dell too, Dill...    :happy:

Pickle?

Hmnn...   ..possibly with the mode of the moderators..?

They can be sweet or sour; contingent with content...   :happy:

I hope that this is the appropriate place to make what I believe is a constructive suggestion.   When one is in the forum at the Forum>Asia>Vietnam level you can see all posts from all sub-forums within Vietnam.  Conversely, if one is at for example Forum>Asia>Vietnam>Hanoi you can't see posts in forums for the other cities.  This is appropriate but you also cannot see posts at the Forum>Asia>Vietnam parent level if they are posted directly at that level.   Can this be changed or is it written "in stone" in the program code?  I think posts to sticky threads like this may show up from all forums but the stickies may be an exception.

THIGV wrote:

I hope that this is the appropriate place to make what I believe is a constructive suggestion.   When one is in the forum at the Forum>Asia>Vietnam level you can see all posts from all sub-forums within Vietnam.  Conversely, if one is at for example Forum>Asia>Vietnam>Hanoi you can't see posts in forums for the other cities.  This is appropriate but you also cannot see posts at the Forum>Asia>Vietnam parent level if they are posted directly at that level.   Can this be changed or is it written "in stone" in the program code?  I think posts to sticky threads like this may show up from all forums but the stickies may be an exception.

Can you post this at "Contact us" Link found at bottom of page. It is the weekend so you may not get a reply straight away.

THIGV wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
The most appropriate forum for this post is Help us improve the website.
I'm sure the IT guys in the team keep an eye on that forum.

Usually designers and programmers stick to the principle of parent-child (super-sub) logical structure to avoid repetition. The super block works as an aggregator of all the subs.
In case of a change (as you've suggested) , to maintain uniformity in the overall design of this website, all sub-forums in all countries will (need to)  be changed.

I took SimCityAT's advice and went through the Contact US at the bottom of the page.  If I don't get a response I will use your suggestion.  Also I did a little more checking.  Some but not all stickies are visible from all sub-forums.  For instance, from the Danang sub-forum, one can only see this thread and A WEBSITE FOR EXPATS.....  Seems as though the stickies should show up everywhere as the others are visa related.

THIGV wrote:

I took SimCityAT's advice and went through the Contact US at the bottom of the page.  If I don't get a response I will use your suggestion.  Also I did a little more checking.  Some but not all stickies are visible from all sub-forums.  For instance, from the Danang sub-forum, one can only see this thread and A WEBSITE FOR EXPATS.....  Seems as though the stickies should show up everywhere as the others are visa related.

That's good. You'll get a response from the team.
Yes, the algorithm for stickies needs to be reviewed.
What's happening at the moment is, they appear at the top of those forums or sub-forums in which they were originally posted (before being marked as stickies). That's how a sticky normally works.
Again, the super forum 'Vietnam' aggregates all the stickies from all sub-forums in the Vietnam section .... not the other way round.

expat.com wrote:

LANGUAGE:

For better understanding and interaction with the other members, we invite you to post your messages in English.

ADMIN:

Perhaps this could be amended to allow posts in other languages, as long as an English translation is also included. Easy to accomplish with Google translate--example:
-----
Có lẽ điều này có thể được sửa đổi để cho phép các bài viết bằng các ngôn ngữ khác, miễn là một bản dịch tiếng Anh cũng được bao gồm. Dễ dàng thực hiện với Google translate - ví dụ:

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
expat.com wrote:

LANGUAGE:

For better understanding and interaction with the other members, we invite you to post your messages in English.

ADMIN:

Perhaps this could be amended to allow posts in other languages, as long as an English translation is also included. Easy to accomplish with Google translate--example:
-----
Có lẽ điều này có thể được sửa đổi để cho phép các bài viết bằng các ngôn ngữ khác, miễn là một bản dịch tiếng Anh cũng được bao gồm. Dễ dàng thực hiện với Google translate - ví dụ:

That would mean team member would have to translate all non-English text to make sure the foreign language is an actual translation, not something the poster is trying to hide.

Fred wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
expat.com wrote:

LANGUAGE:

ADMIN:

-----

That would mean team member would have to translate all non-English text to make sure the foreign language is an actual translation, not something the poster is trying to hide.

And anyway, Google translate isn't actualy that good

"..And anyway, Google translate isn't actualy that good..."

Tsk!   'tis so!   Actually becomes act-u-all-lie(s)

..but I admit I use-u-all (a) lie too often...     :unsure

Fred wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
expat.com wrote:

LANGUAGE:

ADMIN:

-----

And respectfully Fred, that goes to the point I was making to you in a PM:

There is a lot of software already out there that would allow you to do that as quickly as you could glance at it.

For example:

Facebook already uses technology on my music business page (not my personal profile) which allows me to post a single message and then choose how many different languages in which I want it to be able to be read.

It works like this:

When a person creates a personal profile on Facebook, they choose their country AND their preferred language.

When I post my message in English, if I choose that it can be viewed in German/Deutsch, then all of my fans in Germany/Deutschland will automatically see the message in German.

The same is true for my many fans in Indonesia, as well as the few fans I have in Iraq.

So your reading software (as a moderator) could be set to automatically have you read everything in your own language.

Think about that: You all wouldn't have to be literate in English. You could have a moderator who only reads Chinese moderating a forum for Saudi Arabia. AND, every single member could do the same thing, so anyone could post in any language and we could all read it.

I'm just saying, don't let your code of conduct convince you that certain things can't be done, because the sky is no longer the limit in the digital age.

Thanks!

Gordy

Fred: !!!

"Think about that: You all wouldn't have to be..?"

..but just you, Fred.   No longer just the average Avatar,
for the stars are already within reach of yer grubby claws.
   (sorry: paws)

Now we have self-drive cars going where no car went before,
so yes, with a little boost from our rocket-science friends..?
(digital dramatics another option..?)

Who knows?   You might become an event horizon...     :huh:

..eventually..?

Bazza139 wrote:

Now we have self-drive cars going where no car went before,
so yes, with a little boost from our rocket-science friends..?
(digital dramatics another option..?)

Who knows?   You might become an event horizon...     :huh:

..eventually..?

Hmm paws - er pause - for throughout - er, thought, their - umm, there.

Thanks admin for this site. It's informative and helpful for someone who is seeking new opportunities else where.

Salute*

Sounds reasonable

Bazza139 wrote:

..eventually..?

Cloven hooves would be closer to the truth.

Tech is advancing at great rates and, even as I type, Google is improving its translation software to the point where it'll be far closer to perfect than it is at the moment, thus it won't matter in the slightest what language anyone posts in 'cos uncle Google will sort it all out into whatever tongue you fancy.
However, as Shakespeare said back on 1601, "Not there yet, lads".

thanks for the information : )

Why would you use google translate? I am going to hate myself for saying this publicly ... but the Russians are kicking our butts on translation software ...

You should take a peek at yandex[dot]translate[dot]com, it seems to be far more superior to google on non-euro languages.

ALSO: @Fred .... Is this site being selective at allowing "illegal" content on posts? I see some posts getting deleted for posting suggestions of illegal activity, yet there are half a dozen posts discussing AND advising to "pay coffee money" .... which would be illegal for the same US citizens that are suggesting it: www[dot]justice.gov/criminal-fraud/foreign-corrupt-practices-act

Or is the "loophole" that using the term "coffee money" instead of "bribe" the solution?

Great news, thank admin!

Thanks for this forum. I'll TRY to behave...
:one
Do I get an ward if I do????

jefJones wrote:

ALSO: @Fred .... Is this site being selective at allowing "illegal" content on posts? I see some posts getting deleted for posting suggestions of illegal activity, yet there are half a dozen posts discussing AND advising to "pay coffee money"

Sorry I missed this one.
Illegal activity is not allowed on the site, the same going for defamation, but the blindingly obvious is left alone unless names are named.
Other may not share my opinion and remove a post, but that's my personal view.

Are Youtube Links okay? If they are about Vietnam specifically?

It mentions advertising, but not Youtube.

JohnDVN wrote:

Are Youtube Links okay? If they are about Vietnam specifically?

It mentions advertising, but not Youtube.

Admins tend to be somewhat lenient with YouTube links in general, IF on topic and not a blatant promotion of a person's channel or a business.

So if you take a video at an attraction as a tourist/expat, they will likely leave it alone. 

However, if you are a tour operator and promote that business touring the attraction, Admin may very well delete the link or the entire post.

I have posted seaside view videos from my channel without problem.

However, if I were to share a video promoting one of my gigs in Vietnam, I'm sure it would be deleted and I would be cautioned.

If you are talking about a video blog, that stands a chance of being deleted, as this website has a system for establishing a blog here

Also, there is a system for recommending individual businesses

Since you have only posted a few times, there is also a chance that any links you post at this point may get caught by the anti-spam algorithm and put "under review".

-

-

OceanBeach.
I apologise for being entirely unaware of your famous musician status as I have personally never heard of you, despite having a very wide range of music preferences.
Au pair ? So what, they do a job like anyone else to earn a living. What language you speak is not relevant.
But as far as trolling is concerned it usually has its roots in mutually offensive remarks.
Perhaps, as adults, the use of the chosen language can be used to reconcile the differences.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A unique situation:

I am curious why you and a few others have been so upset with the possibility or even the high probability that AkaMaverick and AndyPassenger are one and the same.  Unlike the peripatetic Mr. Jones, the original AndyPassenger was not banned but left voluntarily.  If so why should he not be allowed to come back with a different name?  In fact I seem to notice that the political opinions of AkaMaverick are noticeably to the left which I do not recall from AndyPassenger, who seemed mostly concerned with getting his house built.

Hijacking your profile and avatar is definitely reprehensible and may even get him banned, but until now, I fail to see why some have been so agitated about his choice of online identity.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A unique situation:

I am curious why you and a few others have been so upset with the possibility or even the high probability that AkaMaverick and AndyPassenger are one and the same.  Unlike the peripatetic Mr. Jones, the original AndyPassenger was not banned but left voluntarily.  If so why should he not be allowed to come back with a different name?  In fact I seem to notice that the political opinions of AkaMaverick are noticeably to the left which I do not recall from AndyPassenger, who seemed mostly concerned with getting his house built.

Hijacking your profile and avatar is definitely reprehensible and may even get him banned, but until now, I fail to see why some have been so agitated about his choice of online identity.

Posting that fake profile using another persons photo is just plain dumb.

Hello everyone,

I will be brief but this issue needs to be addressed.

1 - Indeed there is no proof that AkaMaverick and Andy Passenger are the one and same person and even if they were, he has the right the be on the forum as he left on his own. There is no rule that says a member who leaves the forum on his own shouldn't be allowed to come back.

2 - Now, he has been using the photo of OceanBeach on a fake profile, this is clearly not allowed and frowned upon.

So, the profile has been banned. If he wants to come back, he may do so, however he needs to respect the rules of the website.

Have a nice day,
Bhavna

Indices wrote:

OceanBeach.
I apologise for being entirely unaware of your famous musician status as I have personally never heard of you, despite having a very wide range of music preferences.
Au pair ? So what, they do a job like anyone else to earn a living. What language you speak is not relevant.
But as far as trolling is concerned it usually has its roots in mutually offensive remarks.
Perhaps, as adults, the use of the chosen language can be used to reconcile the differences.

Ha!

It was a dig at me.

While I'm not shy about my music background, I'm certain I've never held myself out to be "famous" in this forum.

The Au pair joke is just bizarre.

You may very well be right about the roots of our conflict.

Cheers!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The Au pair joke is just bizarre.

True - But he may have stole it from me - See my profile

OceanBeach.
Nowadays it seems easy to offend even when not intended, I guess that's just the way it is now, people tend to look for conflict and respond where it is safe to do so, forums etc.
Face to face these people prefer to run away and hide behind pseudonyms. Am new to the forum but have read many previous posts and I do not see how his attacks on you were justified. Yes you have strong views sometimes that may be interpreted as self righteous, but so be it, we all do at times.
I reckon he will return under a different ID, if he does and his objective is to make more trouble for you then I am sure you are more than capable of dealing with it :-))

Hi Julien & Moderators.

I would like to propose a slight change to the Forum code of conduct.

Recently there's been an uptick in video links posted without any type of description.

I suggest a two-part rule:

1. Any video links posted would have a basic description of the video contents included in the post.

2. If a video is found to be inconsistent with the description given in the post, or if a video is posted without a description, it would be subject to deletion by the moderators.

Maybe that was the purpose to resolve the lack of interest  :/

expat.com wrote:

The entire concept of this forum is to promote the free exchange of information and ideas. Therefore, everyone has a fundamental right to form and express their own opinions, provided that they comply with the terms of use of the website.

As that applies to recent conversations in The Forum, much that is not specifically codified in the Forum Code of Conduct is inferred, implied or codified in the underlying Terms of Use.

As a whole, it certainly seems to be common sense.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
expat.com wrote:

The entire concept of this forum is to promote the free exchange of information and ideas. Therefore, everyone has a fundamental right to form and express their own opinions, provided that they comply with the terms of use of the website.

As that applies to recent conversations in The Forum, much that is not specifically codified in the Forum Code of Conduct is inferred, implied or codified in the underlying Terms of Use.

As a whole, it certainly seems to be common sense.

Perhaps I misunderstand but I read your comment as saying that you feel that our rules here are "inferred" or "implied" and simply based on "common sense" as opposed to actually written down.  Do you see this as good?  I certainly do not.  Instead we seem to have some moderators who show a tolerant attitude while others want to crack down on everything.  Or it could be that they are responding to those who anonymously report posts that they disagree with.