Foreign Ownership Laws

Can Foreigner's own a house or apartment, what are the laws in Vietnam ??

There are two or three strings on this subject in this forum.

Things to remember:
- VN law is extremely weak/non-existent in property law;
= Foreigners can only acquire property in some parts of VietNam,;
- NO ONE can BUY land; it is assigned on the equivalent of a Long Term Leasehold;
- Foreigners holding of leaseholds is time limited;
- Only certain types of property can be acquired - none of those 10-acre ranches;
- Condominiums are not always condominiums.

You start looking for a knowledgeable experienced trustworthy lawyer, and good luck with that, who is connected in the district in which you are seeking property.

IF YOU are married to a VN citizen, you then operate under VN citizen rules with that party acting as a proxy. But then there added hazards.

As with most things involving officialdom, bribes are de rigeur for the process.

VN building standards are very poor - the Financial Centre was built almost 100% by Foreigners as there is a distinct lack of qualified, trained workers in VN.

The construction technical systems are terrible. Plumbing - bad; electrical - bad; concrete - bad through great; foundation - bad through great.

Unless you are buying a demolition property, you need to thoroughly inspect a property before investing.

In cities such as Ha Noi or TP HCM there is extensive land clearance/community re-development so you have to be very careful of where you buy.

Given the form of government here, compulsory is less frequently used than might be expected but more so in Ha Noi.

The words Caveat Emptor should be written in 72 point type on every document!

That said, I have acquired and disposed of User Certificates and buildings without hassle but only after careful research. VNese are very, very possessive of their air rights, although they are happy to steal yours!

Yes, especially guys like you, you can own even the Independent Palace.  Laws:  money talk and bull$hits walk.

Dude, what do you think we are, your servants?  Still, many masters say 'please' and the likes...

What a way to start off the day!

Jaitch, it sounds like it's not the worth the trouble lol

sghsaigon wrote:

Jaitch, it sounds like it's not the worth the trouble lol

I just gave you a heads up before you start.

It's feasible, just like climbing Mount Everest, but there are lots of danger spots along the way and VN is like a bear trap for Hard Currency.

Jaitch hit the nail on the head with that one. As for wild2..ignore his delusional babbling.:lol:

I'm back boys and girls. I've been busy because watching Summer Olympics and preparing for next school year.Go USA!!