None dairy food in Egypt

Hello everyone, going to Egypt next month with my 4 year old who has severe allergies from dairy, wheat, barley, peanuts, and was wondering if any supermarkets in Maadi, or Elrehab city (where I'm planing on staying) has soy milk (like silk) corn or rice cereal (like the orig corn flakes) and corn tortilla. I was told not to buy stuff that's made in Egypt because I cannot trust the ingredients. So if anyone has allergies or if you see or you've seeing any of the stuff above in any supermarket. please let me know where and the prices. or should I just take with me a month supply with me.

Thank you
best regards
great place to hangout

You will find all in Metro super market and whatever you can not find, you will find in Carrefour.

thank you for reply

Hi, my mom told me to reply to this thread.
I have gluten allergies and i find it very hard to live here, but it can be done. I can find most things in a normal Carrefore, except bread and cakes and stuff. You will be able to find lots of corn cereals and probably also soy milk in Carrefore. Not much stuff in a normal shop has things without wheat or barley. There is a shop called Fino, they bake fresh bread. Gluten free. Im not completely sure if they can do it without barley or milk. Peanuts, no problem finding stuff without, but as always, most things might say May Contain Peanuts.
Hi from Katrine 12 year

Hi Katrine -- thanks so much for the message it was so sweet of you.  I'm glad we can find some of the stuff in carrefore. we might bring some stuff with us for the visit but I'm glad we can find some stuff in Egypt.  we bought this great bread machine it costs about $230 and we make so many things with it from pizza to cakes to banana bread and it's so easy to make. we buy the gluten free machine from amazon.com and it's kind if cheap if you buy 6 at a time and it's free shipping.  please let me know if you have any questions and good luck to u in Egypt.

best regards.

Thank you very much Knoppie for all the info.  Ny son has anaphylaxis and since he was born ( he's 4 now ) he has never eating outside the house. he has a para in school to watch over him all the time. we even stopped eating wheat, dairy, barley, egg, and curry in the house because he was so sensitive to everything.  so It might be a bad idea to eat from this place in nasr city because he might make a mistake, but thanks for telling me about it so we might try it when he gets a little older.  please give me some details (email, phone number, websites ) to the place if you don't mind.  I have 2 questions for u

1- does he make good dessert? and what kind does he make - hmmmm :)
2- what's a good hospital to go to incase my son gets a bad allergic reaction in Egypt?

thanks again
good luck to u
best regards

Hi
I think the ingredients in foods shouldn't be a problem - if you read the labels, and maybe buy more imported stuff than local produce.
I work for a FMCG company in EGypt in the manufacturing - and I would take care!!
I would imagine that your n=biggest problem could come from the nuts!!
Nuts here are very common and the segregation between them is not very good - they don't ahve the same attention to detail here that they do in Europe / the US.
Anaphylaxis - from what I see and comparing to the UK and my daughters school there is no where near as common - Nuts are prevalent in many items - so please take care!
Even in schools - adn I have also asked this of a few friends here - there is no policy (as my daughters school had in the UK due to someone having a nut allergy) to not allow peanuts / nut products in the school.
SO again whn it happens to be a dish day (when they all bring food from home - take care).
As I said you can buy impoerted foods from Europe - you can buy kellogs corn flakes here (they taste better anyway the local ones are blah!), tortillas (in spinneys they have EL Paso) - but you will pay a premium!
But I really do think you are right - eat in the house, take food with you (always make sure to have something with you becuase getting from point A to Point B around Cairo can take you forever - especially if the roads are snarled up- where anaphylaxis is concerned you cannot be too careful - and you really can't rely on the relaxed attitude to segregation of ingredients here!!

Thank you very much biffy.  I think we gonna bring enouch rice, gluten free cereal, bread, pasta, and even oil because I checked the ingredients in corn oil in Egypt (website) and it had many things that I'm not really sure what it is. here in the use the ingredients in corn oil is CORN.  my biggest concern now is silk soy milk. hope they have it in Egypt because I wont be able to bring any.

thanks again
best regards and good luck