Euro 2012 in Dontesk

I would like to receive some information on the Donetsk region. I am assigned to Donetsk during the Euro 2012 tournament and interested in things to do, to visit, do's and don'ts in Ukraine...etc.
Since it is my first visit to the region, all information is welcome.

Kind regards,
barefoot

Hi barefoot and welcome to Expat.com!;)

Harmonie.

Hi barefoot.

My name is Anton and I'm living in Donetsk. I can help you to know more about Donetsk. Please email me if you still need help.

Hi Anton and welcome to you too!

Francesca

Hi there! Some helpful information for those who plan to visit Donetsk on Euro 2012: [moderated]

barefoot wrote:

I would like to receive some information on the Donetsk region. I am assigned to Donetsk during the Euro 2012 tournament and interested in things to do, to visit, do's and don'ts in Ukraine...etc.
Since it is my first visit to the region, all information is welcome.

Kind regards,
barefoot

...well, you seem to be asking for about Donetsk because of some assignment, I guess work related. So I will try and tell you what I can.

Ukraine is a very divided country. To the west of Dnepr river live mainly Ukrainian-speakers, a very pro-EU part of the country, very close in architecture, culture and religion to Poland. Eastern parts are strongly pro-Russian. It is where most of the nation's industrial giants (huge soviet-era  metallurgical / chemical plants, mines and other enterprises are located. The city of Donetsk is its capital

Now in comparison to the western Ukraine, its many picturesque towns and cities it is a very soviet-built, grey place. The people there are somewhat orthodox (conservative) in their outlook on life.  They are definately staunchly pro-Russian in everything they do and say. As the matter of fact many don't speak Ukrainian and so when in Donetsk, Russian dictionary and or Russian-speaking translator is essential.

Having said all that I do think that as any hosting city for Euro 2012, Donetsk will be ready... not so much local businesses there, but the city itself as it is governed by the richest person in Ukraine and showing his region off is a point of his personal pride.

As for do and dont's - I would imagine you will be  unlikely  to find many western-style Irish pubs, or italian bread and pizza places there.

So DON'T make it a point of your trip. Just enjoy the local catering scene. Be aware of the prices  - they are likely to be very high DO NOT OVERPAY. If you think the price for something is too high, it probably is (Ukrainians from all regions and cities are known for that).

DO trust locals to show you around, as they  are VERY proud of their city and region. They will probably do their best to show you abound. If you have to be in Donetsk just take advantage of that.

DON'T trust the police to help you with anything. First, few of them speak English and second - because they have a legacy of being very unfriendly and unhelpful.

Above all just be aware...and enjoy FOOTBALL as it is always a joy to watch.

I was at the match in Donetsk, Ukraine, United Kingdom. It was super. Incredible atmosphere, magnificent stadium. Vprekrasnye lot of fun and experience. Good luck on the Euro!.

dimatim wrote:

I was at the match in Donetsk, Ukraine, United Kingdom. It was super. Incredible atmosphere, magnificent stadium. Vprekrasnye lot of fun and experience. Good luck on the Euro!.

Great to hear that. I wrote all I had because Ukraine really is LITTLE DIFFERENT from UK, the way things are turning out - I am really glad people are having fun.