English speaking expats in Switzerland

Hi, I'm just wondering how hard it is to communicate with locals, if one doesn't speak German/Swiss German in Switzerland, you know, just basic communication like at the supermarket, banks, etc. :P

I am in Zurich very often on business and have no problem with English, but I pretty much am only in the city center or out by the airport.  It might be a different stroy outside of big cities.

Yes, it is....we were in Thun visiting relatives and I ventured into the local Migros looking for nail polish remover (among other things) and that was....interesting!

I am quite new to switzerland and am looking for a sounding board for some business ideas, i speak little french and no german, i would like to find someone near the bulle-fribourg area for general cahats and possibly taking on as a advisor for my company the ideal person must have a  working knowledge of websites or the IT industry.

Can anyone tell me what it is like living in Fribourg in Switzerland please? Have a great life in Ireland but the future is not looking good. Have been offered a good job in Firbourg and would like to know more about the place and Social life, meeting people etc...

Hi Trinity

I live in the canton of Fribourg but about 12kms outside the city, however I have on too many occassions had some blinding nights out there, the city is a university city with a real lively buzzy nigght life...Im a bid of an older partier but have always gad a great time there.

To live the cost of living is comparible to the UK although the quality of service and amentzities are much better quality.

The Swiss are very proud of their country, it is a thriving and multi-cultral haven of pure beauty.

What do you do, I have just started a company and need English speaking people to assist me , I cant speak FRench being a lazy Brit.

Anthony

I will also be interested in the same subject - I expect to start the life there in August.
Thanks!

Hi There, anyone around Basel, would like to meet new people.

In Basel, most of the young people speak English. I am trying to learn German, but it's been a slow process, plus the Swiss speak with their own "drawl" that makes it a little challenging to understand.
There are plenty of classes available to learn the language. As long as you make an effort, people tend to be helpful. Food packaging is printed in German, French, and Italian. If you have "food rules" you definately need to  learn the language.
The Swiss are nice but xenophobic. If you look like them and don't speak too loudly in the city, things go much more smoothly. As soon as you get into "dorf" territory, they are less bilingual and less patient... I think another contributer said her experience was "interesting."

FRIBOURG
bainzy writes: "the city is a university city with a real lively buzzy nigght life...Im a bid of an older partier but have always gad a great time there.

To live the cost of living is comparible to the UK although the quality of service and amentzities are much better quality."

We visited Fribourg quite recently. During the day it was quite busy, but Friday and Saturday nights were almost dead in the town centre, we were about the only people on the street. On Saturday few restaurants were alsmost full, but not on Friday. We found the town very quiet.It is possible that the summer is more lively there.

As for the cost of living - I am not really sure if it is comparable to the UK, perhaps to London butiques' prices... I found the normal (basic) supermarket food almost twice as expensive as in Sainsbury's, (triple it for meat) and Aldi's prices are comparable to Waitrose (but not exactly of the same quality). Migros own budget food is almost inedible (especially ham). Considering the expensive healthcare (even the basic one) and exorbitant dentist prices - incomparable really...
However it all depends on the money one is paid there..
We found eating out on the expensive side, and also rather disgusting in the permanent smell of cigarettes smoke everywhere...