Belgian mom moving to Bangkok - need advice!!!

My family (husband, 2,5 year old son and me) is moving to Bangkok for 6 to 7 months from September 2012 until mid-March 2013.

I need to find a good international school for my son who will be 3 years old by then. Any suggestions?

Also we are looking for a furnished apartment in a (hotel)residence with cleaning lady and activities (like a pool) for our son.

My husband works at the airport so that is something to consider when picking a location. (not too far from school and not too far from the airport)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Can not recommend international school but if you Google international school Bangkok you will get results.

When it comes to picking location and work is at Suvarnabhumi between 0600 to 2400 hours the airport rail link provides easy and quick access to airport.  If you live within walking distance to one of the stations it makes for easy commute.  You could also live anywhere within walking distance of BTS station because airport link and BTS both have a Phayathai station.

If plan on driving to airport everyday look for location that has easy access to motor way that goes past airport.

Thanks for the reply Straydog!

I just learned from my husband his company won't let him drive and will provide him a chauffeur instead.
Are there specific expat areas with easy access to the motorway to the airport?

Expats live all over the city so its hard to answer your question.  I live in On Nut area just off Sukhumvit Road and it offers easy access to airport via motorway plus two other optional routes.

Since you will only be here a short time pick a place along Sukhumvit road and close to BTS station. It will allow easy access to city while husband is working.

Ok. We will look into that.

Thanks again!

Straydog answered most of your question, but I can only emphasize looking for a condo near the BTS/Airport link/MRT + expressway exit.
You probably wants to get around the city by yourself while your husband is working. The traffic is horrible in BKK.
Phayathai to airport by airport link cost 150thb and takes approx 20-25 minutes.
From Onnut BTS area it takes 30 minutes by car via express way to airport.

I assume your husbands work will pay for the house/condo?
Onnut BTS area is local and always life around you. They got Ideo Verve 1 step away from the Onnut BTS.Supermarket + food stall just outside the door. There is a international school nearby, no idea whether its good, think its call Wells something. You can take the BTS 1-2 stop (15thb) + small walk to the school.
Phra Khanong BTS area is quite local, they got the 2 LIFE condos and Le Luk Skywalk (not sure it has opened yet).
Ekkamai/Thonglor is by some considered the Beverly Hills, but traffic is very bad if you live too far into the soi, also not too close to express way exit.

Thanks pcd,

At the moment I am torn:
colleagues of my husband recommended Thonglor (Sukhumvit 55), but Beverly Hills is not exactly my style.
And I really like this international nursery on Sukhumvit 313, which are way too far apart.
The trick is to find a condo we like close to a nursery we like. Pfff... And there is no garanty the nursery of our choice will have an opening (unless you pay a deposit, which we are not allowed to do (yet) by my husband's employer. The mission destination may still change, you see.)
I think I am forced to wait a couple of months to make a decision. In the meantime I will continue to do research.

Globetrotter,
I have never been to Beverly Hills, US so I can't make the comparison. However Thonglor and Ekkamai are where there are some high-end restaurant and few clubs. However still a lot of local people and daily life in this area.

The kindergarden is very important for you, and you wrote they might force you to pay a deposit.
The best advice many will give you is don't commit to any housing before you have actually seen it and visited the area. If you must pay the deposit, it might be an idea for you or your husband to go visit BKK before committing. Ticket from Paris is approx 700 EUR return ticket? People in here might be able to help you to check out the housing you will find and take pictures for you =)

Have you tried to search at agents? If you call them for a specific condo/house, you can ask them about international kindergardens in the area =)http://www.bangkokrent.com/http://www.bkkcondos.com/http://www.evehouse.com/http://www.bangkokrenthome.com/property.php?ln=en
Please note the prices various a lot for same type apartment in the same condomenuim as its private owners. If you found a place you like, search for it at other agents, on internet and go to their lobby and ask for prices. Some owners leave it to the condomenium to rent out the apartments

Thank you very much, pcd!

My husband will probably leave 2 to 3 weeks before me and our son to visit and finally pick a condo.
The sites will come in handy and also the advice about private owners. I wouldn't have thought about that.
I can't wait to settle. This preparation/moving phase is stressing me out, but it's worth it every time!

Have a nice day!

I can help you in looking for international school and homes as well just give me a mail I will be needing some information about what you are looking for [email protected]

Hello globetrotter,

as your husband will work at the airport I can also recommend the area my dad is living in: it's in between Ramkhamhaeng Soi 135 - 170, easy access to the motorway and 15 minutes by car to the airport. my sister is going to the swiss school there: swissschoolbangkok.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1[/url]

they have an english kindergarden section as well. a plus in this ramkhamhaeng area is, that you can rent single houses with garden (and even pool) very easily, actually the sois are more like small villages. if you sit on your terrace outside, you don't really feel like being in such a big city. the downside is that you are 25 kilometers outside of the city center and sukhumvit area. but still the ramkhamhaeng area offers big supermarkets and entertainment and shopping stores at the mall bangkapi.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.