Overview of residence ownership for foreigners in Vietnam

Property Ownership in Vietnam

Since there have been some questions about house ownership in Vietnam, I am trying to put together a short overview. I don't claim to be a lawyer, not even an expert.

1.    Owning land

First of all, land cannot be owned either by individuals or by organizations, whether they are Vietnamese or foreign. The Constitution stipulates that land is owned by the entire people of Vietnam and that the State administers the land on behalf of the people.

The key governing two laws are
-    Law on Land No. 13/2003/QH11 and
-    Law on Amendment to Article 126 of the Law on Residential Housing and Article 121 of the Law on Land No. 34/2009/QH12.

The State can lease the land for a specific usage, e.g., for agriculture, for building a residence, a process called issuing Land Usage Right (LUR). This is equivalent of selling the land combining with zone regulating in the West. This LUR process is a complex topic by itself which I may describe in another thread.

This issue of not being able to own land is a hot topic now in Vietnam because of a recent incident in Haiphong and it is a common cause of corruption. Legal experts claim that it is the biggest roadblock for progress. However, the vested interest is so big that I doubt anything will be done.

2.    Owning residence

The key two laws are
-    Law on Residential Housing No. 56/2005/QH11 and
-    Law on Amendment to Article 126 of the Law on Residential Housing and Article 121 of the Law on Land No. 34/2009/QH12.

As opposed to the land, you can own buildings on the land (so called land-attached assets in Vietnamese legalese), if qualified.

There are four different categories: Vietnamese, Viet Kieu, foreign individuals and foreign organizations, each with its own rights.

I will focus on the foreign individuals here since it is most relevant for the readers of this forum.

The relevant regulations are Resolution No. 19/2008/QH12 on pilot scheme permitting foreign organizations and individuals to purchase and own residential houses in Vietnam passed by the
National Assembly of Vietnam on 3 June 2008 (Resolution No. 19); and Decree No. 51/2009/ND-CP of the Government dated 3 June 2009 providing regulations for implementation of Resolution No. 19.

Per definition, a foreign national is a foreign individual who does not have a Vietnamese nationality but meets any of the 5 following criteria:
• has a direct investment in Vietnam (i.e., an investor);
• holds a managerial position in company currently operating in Vietnam under the enterprise law (including both domestic enterprises and foreign-invested enterprises);
• has made contribution to Vietnam as recognized by the President or the Prime Minister;
• has either (at least an university degree and works in the socio-economic sector) OR has
technical skills critical to Vietnam; or
• is married to a Vietnamese citizen,

In addition, he/she must meet ALL of the following conditions:
• must be currently living in Vietnam;
• has a permanent or temporary residence card and/or a document permitting residence in Vietnam for 12 months or more; and
• is not entitled to diplomatic or consular immunity and privilege.

This individual can own at any one time only ONE apartment in an apartment block (NB: not a house) in Vietnam for a period of 50 years. He/she needs first to obtain a residence ownership certificate from the government showing proof for each of the above-mentioned relevant criteria.

The policies were expected to create breakthroughs in the domestic real estate market but they have not created as much interest as expected.

Experts said regulations on property trading for overseas Vietnamese and foreigners are too strict; ref, they can own only apartments but not houses mentioned above.

According to statistics, around 300 overseas Vietnamese and foreign individuals and organizations bought apartments in Vietnam before the Lunar New Year in 2012.

Thanks for sharing Anatta ;)

Armand

Anetta: You said: This individual can own at any one time only ONE apartment in an apartment block (NB: not a house) in Vietnam for a period of 50 years.

I thought this was subsequently increased to 75 years.

Viet Kieu certainly have bought houses, in fact they grabbed all the best spots in Cam Ranh Bay

Also non-VK Foreigner acquisition of LUCs is limited to three or fur designated areas.

The Hai Phong land rip-off was decided in a senior court, after the prime minister said the land grab was illegal. The judge, smart guy, ruled in favour of the LUC holder.

Unfortunately, the LUC holder and some family members, can't enjoy their success as they are sitting in jail charged with several counts of attempted murder of police in the fight that brought this to the publics attention.

The Peoples Committee of Hai Phong has a record of doing this. There were other cases in the Mekong Delta.

I've updated the linnk for the Land Law and Law on housing
http://youbiz.vn/van-ban-phap-luat/viet … l?start=36

I happened to stumble on these documents online so I can't confirm the credibility of it but you can use it as reference at least

Jaitch wrote:

Anetta: You said: This individual can own at any one time only ONE apartment in an apartment block (NB: not a house) in Vietnam for a period of 50 years.

I thought this was subsequently increased to 75 years.

Jaitch

19/2008/QH12 states max of 50 years for apartment. In the debate leading to this law, there had been discussion about this extension, but I have not seen any official document about this extension (does not mean it is not correct).

For the lease of LAND (LUR) to foreign investor (a complex subject which requires lengthy treatment that I mentioned earlier):
For projects that require large investment capital, but which provide a slow capital return; projects that are in geographical areas which are under difficult socio-economic conditions; projects that are in geographical areas which have exceptionally difficult socio-economic conditions; or projects that require a longer duration, the lease duration may be extended to, but not exceed 70 years, and is subject to special approval.

Jaitch wrote:

Viet Kieu certainly have bought houses, in fact they grabbed all the best spots in Cam Ranh Bay

This thread, as mentioned, is intended for foreign individuals, not Viet Kieus. Viet Kieus enjoy more rights. However, there are also certain criteria which they have to qualify. Depending on which criteria they meet, VKs can own an unlimited number of houses/apartments or just one house/apartment.

The following link from the official organization to aid VKs to integrate into the society gives an overview (link in Vietnamese)

http://kieubaoviet.vn/cncs/138-Huong-da … t-Nam.html

Jaitch wrote:

Also non-VK Foreigner acquisition of LUCs is limited to three or fur designated areas.

As mentioned, the issue of LUR (land usage rights) is a complex issue by itself, especially for foreigners.

According to decree 84/2007/ND-CP:

Foreigners cannot get LUR ALLOCATED from the State. They can only receive their LURs by LEASING land either directly from the State or, in some cases, from private organizations who are permitted by law to lease or sublease land to foreigners. Leasing land includes fewer rights than getting LUR ‘allocated' from the State.

There is no limitation in project categories if they lease land directly from the State, but they can only lease/sublease LUR from private organizations for projects belonging to certain categories (e.g., projects belonging to economic zones, production business,…)

Anatta - With this post and the advice on dual nationality, I am in complete and utter awe of you..

Hopefully, I'll be able to get Vietnamese nationality so that, if I indeed decide to invest in property over here, I can get screwed over just as much as my fellow Vietnamese countrymen...

If that fails, I should be able to get Vietnamese origin certificate and be able to buy one house/apartment that way.  I spoke to the KieuBaoViet people in Saigon last week when I was down there, mostly to talk about nationality, but he also mentioned that there were more onerous restrictions on Viet Kieu buying property than Vietnamese citizens - which makes sense to be honest.  However, other resources seem to state that as a Viet Kieu, I would be able to purchase on the same terms as a full citizen - but am only restricted as to the one property.

So which would you say is the answer?  And if it's the former, is it possible to find any information on this in English? My Vietnamese isn't good enough with the legalese...

And another quick question: if I'm a Viet Kieu (or even a Vietnamese dual-citizen), is there something legal saying that I can't get a mortgage from a Vietnamese bank if my money was earned overseas?  I'd have to borrow money to purchase something here and my UK bank is probably not going to consider property in Vietnam as good enough security...