Few questions about Chiang Mai

Hello,

First post here. I'm 27 year old male, working as a programmer, and I'm looking for places to live in Thailand. I have been there for a month (Phangan, BKK, Patayya), mostly in BKK, and I liked it very much.

Currently, I'm considering moving there for about 3-6 months, renting a flat and living in Chiang Mai, but I'm still not sure about the location (Chiang Mai, or some other city).

Here are some of my 'requirements':
I like night life, meeting people and interaction in general. Beer. So I need some possibility where if I feel like it, I can go somewhere grab a beer, listen to music or do whatever.
High speed internet access (at least 1Mbps flat rate).
45-55 square meters flat (can spend up to $350 for it monthly)
... and that's about it.

While in BKK, I was mostly in Khao San Road, it was ok.. nice place to meet a lot of interesting people, some good some bad, but that's life. I'm looking for something similar.

Unfortunately, because of the flooding last year, I couldn't check out Chiang Mai for myself... so I'm having trouble making a decision, especially since it's far away from BKK and the sea (I like sea, and generally would like to live by the sea) so if I don't like it for some reason, it would be difficult to re-locate after I rent a flat and settle in.

Ideal location for me would be some smaller city (bkk is too huge), close to the sea (maybe even an island), where I can get mentioned above. I'm willing to sacrifice the sea thing, that's why I'm considering Chiang Mai (I heard from everyone it's a really nice place), but also I would like to hear your opinion, if there's someone like me who already gone through this I plan now.

Thank you all.

- Alek

My home is in Chiang Mai, but I don't think I would recommend CM for you because it does not seem to fit what you are looking for.  CM is fairly sedate, with not much farang-oriented wild nightlife like what you find in Pattaya.  Lots of exploring can be done in the North on a motorcyc going up in the mountains, with good national parks, interesting isolated towns, but it sounds like this is not your cup of tea.  Lots of good restaurants in CM, the best temples for sure, and I think it is a great place to live.  But a young guy looking for more modern excitement should probably look south of BKK.
http://americanexpatchiangmai.com

Well, i'm not looking exactly wild parties and stuff. But from time to time i would like to sit in a bar meet or whatever new people. I'm guessing chiang mai being a laid back place, still have some locations where you can do that. Thing is, i'll be alone, and thats the only way of socializing with people i can figure out. Since i won't have a job therr, and no friends, gf or anyone. Wild parties are not my cup of tea, i been through that 10yrs ago, but something like khao san in bkk is. Mainly cuz if you want to hang out with someone, you can, and having that as a possibility is great, for me at least.

Any recomendations for southern part of thai ? I'm not big on pataya.

There are lots of good places south of BKK that work for those to make LOS their home.  The obvious one that comes up first is Phuket because it has such a variety of living options and plenty of other expats.  Koh Samui would be another, and perhaps Hua Hin.  Then there are so many paradises in Thailand that are not so well known, like Koh Chang, Koh Samut or Rayong.  They key is to find the best fit for you, and that takes some experimentation.  Stay a week somewhere to see it the lifestyle fits you.
Before I settled on Chiang Mai as the place for me, my wife & I visited and stayed in dozens of Thai cities looking around.  We are happy we are because we looked carefully how it fit us.  For sure, our town is not for everybody, and even Thailand is not everyone's cup of tea.  But finding the right place is half the fun, discovering new places.

You're right, it's hard to tell without experimenting a bit, and that's certainly fun.

Maybe for the start I should stay in BKK or go south from it, until I get more comfortable with the change, especially because BKK and south is already familiar to me, and this would be second time i'm leaving my country, but this time for a lot longer.

I also enjoy nature, I heard North Thai has a lot of it. Driving a motorbike through mountains, forests, etc. is very inspiring for me, and I miss those things while living in bigger cities. But one can't have everything I suppose.

Hi

I suggest you do try CM.  It probably does have everything you want except the sea and beaches.  Range of diffeneren kinds of bars, lots of live music.  Big choice of different things to do in the evening.  Nice and compact (unlike BKK) so it's easy to get anywhere quickly.  Motorbike or hiking are great up in the mountains that are within an hour's drive.  Better weather than in BKK.  We do have quite a lot of lakes / reservoirs around here with simple wooden hut restaurants and the possibility of kayaking which is just getting going here.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Just try to living around Nimmanhemin road for a couple of weeks, and you would know CM is suitable for you or not...

I think you need to spend a couple weeks in places that offer items you mention before making a final decision. Like you I enjoy Bangkok but after 8 years I tired of the place and moved to Pattaya.  My likes are similar to your's and I find Pattaya a great place to live but it may not be right for everyone. It offers everything you mention.

Hey Alek!

I think I can help you out... I moved to Phuket in 2001 when I was 22 and think I know what you are looking for...

I moved back to Canada in 2004 and lived there up until Jan 1/2012 when I decided to travel and work from my computer.. I moved to Makati in the Philippines for almost 3 months and just came back to Thailand last week.. I set up camp here in Chiang Mai and there are definitely some pros and cons here...

Pros -

CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!
People are nice and friendly
Has everything you need

Cons -

Not as vibrant as BKK (I LOVE BKK!)
night life is a little slow

ok... my list kind of sucks... but I've only been here 4 days and still getting my bearings..

The one thing I know for sure... is that most expats here are retired and living with their 'significant other'... Whereas in BKK, you get a lot more expats that like to go out and party...

If you do end up heading to Chiang Mai, it's a fairly cheap experience to see if you like it or not... I spent 8,000 Baht for a nice studio (new with ac/hot water) and includes a monthly bike rental... So, if I dont like it after a week... I will cut my losses and move to BKK or maybe even back to Phuket... But if you move to Phuket, I suggest living outside of Patong...

If you do come up here, let me know and send me your contact info.. We can grab some beers.

Ciao,

Johnny